Late June Alpine Conditions

M

Mountain_High

Gents,
We usually fish late june alpine lakes in the Kootenays. Which flies are most appropriate after iceout conditions for the cutthroats? What sizes and colours should be used?

Last year we tried spincasting equipment, but there was too much terminal tackle causing fewer fish to be caught.

Will to experiment.....Mountain_High

Hi Mountain High,

Stickleback immitations work well as do most minnow patterns for cutts. Most of these are tied as silver bodied flies with olive or green backs. Sculpin patterns will also do the trick, since these too represent small prey. Shades of brown, green, tan are typical here. Large black leech patterns should not be discounted, and are known to work quite well on cutthroat. All the best,

Hugh

Hi Mountain High,

Stickleback immitations work well as do most minnow patterns for cutts. Most of these are tied as silver bodied flies with olive or green backs. Sculpin patterns will also do the trick, since these too represent small prey. Shades of brown, green, tan are typical here. Large black leech patterns should not be discounted, and are known to work quite well on cutthroat. All the best,

Hugh

Hugh,

Thanks for the info. We'll give them a try. In your opinion, what sizes would you try of these flies you've mentioned?

If the hike does not kill me, it will be the very cold temperatures at night that will.

....Mountain_High

Hugh,

Thanks for the info. We'll give them a try. In your opinion, what sizes would you try of these flies you've mentioned?

If the hike does not kill me, it will be the very cold temperatures at night that will.

....Mountain_High

Hugh,

Since I've never fished a sculpin pattern nor a leech fly immitation before, how does one fish such a fly? Are they casted out via a weighted line from bottom of lake to top like a caddis? Also, after doing a search for sculpin patterns, geezus, there's so many of them. Can you please recommend some of them for alpine lake presentations?

...Mountain_High

Hugh,

Since I've never fished a sculpin pattern nor a leech fly immitation before, how does one fish such a fly? Are they casted out via a weighted line from bottom of lake to top like a caddis? Also, after doing a search for sculpin patterns, geezus, there's so many of them. Can you please recommend some of them for alpine lake presentations?

...Mountain_High

I tend to favor larger patterns. Fish them near the bottom with high density lines. I'll usually strip them in, varying the length and speed of retrieve, while letting the fly settle back to the bottom occassionally. No shortage of sculpin patterns for sure, but any pattern that is relatively realistic looking should do the trick. Brownish patterns are probably the most consistent producers.

I tend to favor larger patterns. Fish them near the bottom with high density lines. I'll usually strip them in, varying the length and speed of retrieve, while letting the fly settle back to the bottom occassionally. No shortage of sculpin patterns for sure, but any pattern that is relatively realistic looking should do the trick. Brownish patterns are probably the most consistent producers.

Hugh,

Thanks for your valuable information.

...Mountain_High

Hugh,

Thanks for your valuable information.

...Mountain_High

MH,

If you find you are snagging the bottom with the sculpins, try a "bouyant" leech pattern on that same sinking line. Please note this should not have so much foam on it that it pops up like a surface walker. (I've made that mistake and suggest you tie one then chuck it into a glass of water to watch how it floats)

If you've added the right amont of foam under your pattern, the leech will move 2-4 feet off of the bottom and hopefully avoid some snags. Try 3-4 short 4" strips then a pause. Each strip will jig the nose of the fly down and impart vertical action. Then on the pause, the fly will slowly rise up ... hopefully driving the cutties into a charge.

Cheers,
Alex

... "high water" is when you can fish from your car.

MH,

If you find you are snagging the bottom with the sculpins, try a "bouyant" leech pattern on that same sinking line. Please note this should not have so much foam on it that it pops up like a surface walker. (I've made that mistake and suggest you tie one then chuck it into a glass of water to watch how it floats)

If you've added the right amont of foam under your pattern, the leech will move 2-4 feet off of the bottom and hopefully avoid some snags. Try 3-4 short 4" strips then a pause. Each strip will jig the nose of the fly down and impart vertical action. Then on the pause, the fly will slowly rise up ... hopefully driving the cutties into a charge.

Cheers,
Alex

... "high water" is when you can fish from your car.

Back