Last Shot At Winter Steelhead---Fish ****!

Just for your information, I have been fishing for over a half century. Held a fresh water guide license for a number of years. Guided both fresh and salt water and was involved in "Catch and Release" studies for B.C. Fish and wildlife as well as Federal Fisheries. Remember, mishandling fish in a C&R fisheries is the main cause of mortality. There is another saying, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks".
Who cares, your comment was rude.

Been there done that and am still doing it. That is the reason for my posting. Will not tolerate abuse of these magnificent fish. Some of you need to understand the damage being done by some. It has to stop. We cannot continue to abuse these fish for the sake of a photo. That's why they are called "Hero shots".

Hey Bear. Might want to divert your attention from the individual fish you have been catching over all those years and try focusing on the environment they live in for a moment! From what I have seen, IMHO, is that there are other factors being the "main cause of mortality" to steelhead. Starting from conception: silt, stream bed movement, disease, funguses, starvation, assorted birds, mink, otters, seals, other countless ocean occurances, some rivers gillnets. And you think catch and release fishing is the biggest cause of mortality!! lol

Well said Myster...

Hey Bear. Might want to divert your attention from the individual fish you have been catching over all those years and try focusing on the environment they live in for a moment! From what I have seen, IMHO, is that there are other factors being the "main cause of mortality" to steelhead. Starting from conception: silt, stream bed movement, disease, funguses, starvation, assorted birds, mink, otters, seals, other countless ocean occurances, some rivers gillnets. And you think catch and release fishing is the biggest cause of mortality!! lol

I agree but many of those factors are beyond control of the individual angler. I think Bear is just trying to promote what recreational anglers can control. Again, a great message, but in this case, you have to consider the context of the report and that we are not talking about a weekend warrior only out for hero shots. Sharphooks reports are the essence of what keeps many forum members engaged, we can't lose sight of that. What a sad day it would be if posts with stories and excellent photos dried up.

X2 BGM.Don't let the words of a few stop you from sharing your adventures here,Sharphooks.Personally,they have been
my favorites of all the stories on this forum,and I would never ever question your ethics.Keep them coming so I can
continue to live vicariously through them!

I agree but many of those factors are beyond control of the individual angler. I think Bear is just trying to promote what recreational anglers can control. Again, a great message, but in this case, you have to consider the context of the report and that we are not talking about a weekend warrior only out for hero shots. Sharphooks reports are the essence of what keeps many forum members engaged, we can't lose sight of that. What a sad day it would be if posts with stories and excellent photos dried up.
X2. This site keeps on rocking as other sites are enduring a slow painful death...

And here I was thinking this would be a thread with people posting pics of their April steelhead, not a debate on the ethics of c&r. So In an attempt to get this back on track here's a pick of one of my steelhead caught on home tied jigs last week. Was sure nice to see some fresh fish this late in the season.
View attachment 17274
20150403_161504.jpg

Back