Last Shot At Winter Steelhead---Fish ****!

Sharphooks

My life is full of impetuous moves. Last month, on a whim, I decided to put my fishing cabin on the market. Still not quite sure why i decided to do something that outlandish but we do what we do when we do it.

So now that I have a buyer, I had to figure out what to do with my inflatable raft that I had stored in the garage.

Well, first things first---take a trip down the river and worry about what to do with the raft later!

Decided to do an overnight with a friend. Got the cars spotted at the takeout, got everything packed and we were on our way

Five miles into the drift, my favorite beach to camp on was still there. Thank the Lord for small favors because this beach is literally one of the only campsites on this river---no gravels bars like a normal meandering river---this one holds her banks --- good for the fish but tough for camping

I had my sights set on what we call springers: early Chinook that start nosing one by one into the rivers in March and April, then bust a move in thick wads in May and June

This camping hole has another side-benefit--- when springs are around, they love the hole out in front of the tent---so nice to fish until dark with huge springers rolling at your feet. Here's a pic I took on that same beach 10 years ago---different dog, different inflatable raft, but the river didn't change a bit:

But that picture was taken in June. I knew fishing springers in April was a long shot---it was a bit too early---- part of the reason we never saw another boat in two days. However......The side-benefit of fishing river Chinook in April--- steelhead!

With a lot of water to cover we fished from the raft, so the fly rod got left at home. First hole, a nice doe:

That got things primed for the day. Then I lost a nice fish in another hole a few miles downstream. But rather then keep rowing, I had a sneaking suspicion we were on to some fish so I decided to row back up to the top of the hole and go through a second time.

I put on the smallest spoon I had in the vest, thinking it might be a good time to go into subtle mode.

Pitched in to a triad of boulders in really fast water---Massive take-down !

The water exploded and I knew right away I was into a big fish. And as it steamed up river in short staccato bursts, that was clue enough I’d better start paying attention.

I really dislike fighting fish from a boat in a river (especially when I know the fish is going to get released) so I hopped out on the beach and fought it from shore

So this is what came up from the depths. My dog went nuts: it was like an alligator coming out of the water.

My dog weighs about 35 lbs---- Not sure where this one would have scaled but definitely one of the bigger fish of my career. Can you imagine what this thing looked like fresh out of the saltwater a month or two ago?

No Chinook that day, but a great time on the river. My buddy got a 15 pound chrome doe ---he was ecstatic

Now I’m thinking I made a big mistake selling my cabin---cancel the sale! Cancel the sale!

Here’s the view from the back porch of the cabin: in the foreground is one of my favorite fishing vests. All that white stuff foaming out of the pouch? A roll of toilet paper the rats got into to make their nest…

Oh, that’s right, now I remember why I decided to sell the cabin...the freaking rats were driving me nuts....ha ha

Last edited by a moderator:
Great story and photos, sharphooks.

Oh...and cancel the sale, cancel the sale!

Seriously, though, you're right -- we do what we do. Rats aside, I'm sure you have tons of great memories of the place.

Regards.

Thanx for sharing...posts like these is what makes this such a great site.

Agreed. Sharphooks, you always have such great reports. Thanks for taking the time to share your trip. You will likely miss the cabin but you dont seem to have any shortage of cool spots to fish (and catch)...

Might want to read this article. Targeting spawning fish and dragging them up on the shore is not a recommended release technique or ethical practice.

Might want to read this article. Targeting spawning fish and dragging them up on the shore is not a recommended release technique or ethical practice.

What article are you referring to, don't see a link.

He was targeting Chinook, not spawning Steelhead, no?

Thanks for watching my back, Big Green, but I was anticipating a comment like that.

If I'd decided to stay in the boat and netted that fish, someone else would have commented about all the mortality studies associated with netting and releasing fish from a boat and why did I show such ignorance in behaving like that when everyone knows such studies are freely available...why didn't I slide it gently up on a beach instead?

And then there would have been a guy who, based on the size of that buck, would have been tempted to give it a wood shampoo and then justified the act by saying the fish was a bleeder and so, of course, they had no choice....

And nobody would have said a word about ethics because clearly, it was a bleeder....

My attitude--- way better to beach a fish on wet gravel and gently hold it in the current before it swims away.....much better chance of it spawning compared to someone netting it from a boat and then dumping it out of the net back into the river in a stiff current or beating it over the head because it was so big....and because it was a bleeder

Then there will be some guy who will say ...."why fish at all? It's cruelty to animals and you're just playing with your food..."

To which my response would be--- Dude, don't go surfing sport-fishing websites if you're going to be offended by people who go fishing and post pictures of either dead fish or fish that get released when it was completely lawful to fish for them and the fisherman was in complete regulatory compliance while plying his passion

You can tell it was a gentle beaching, not much else you can do with a fish that size, nicely done.

Releasing Fish – The Gentle Way

There is a growing trend among anglers to catch and release, unharmed, a part of their allowable catch. As well, more restrictive regulations on specific waters can severely limit the angler's allowable harvest. A fish that appears unharmed may not survive if carelessly handled, so please abide by the following:

Play and release fish as rapidly as possible. A fish played for too long may not recover.
Keep the fish in the water as much as possible. A fish out of water is suffocating. Internal injuries and scale loss is much more likely to occur when out of water.
Rolling fish onto their backs (while still in the water) may reduce the amount they struggle, therefore minimizing stress.
Carry needle-nose pliers or haemostats (surgical pliers). Grab the bend or round portion of the hook with your pliers, twist pliers upside down, and the hook will dislodge. Be quick, but gentle. Single barbless hooks are recommended, if not already stipulated in the regulations.
Any legal fish that is deeply hooked, hooked around the gills or bleeding should be retained as part of your quota. If the fish cannot be retained legally, you can improve its chances of survival by cutting the leader and releasing it with the hook left in.
If a net is used for landing your catch, it should have fine mesh and a knotless webbing to protect the fish from abrasion and possible injury.
If you must handle the fish, do so with your bare, wet hands (not with gloves). Keep your fingers out of the gills, and don't squeeze the fish or cause scales to be lost or damaged. It is best to leave fish in the water for photos. If you must lift a fish then provide support by cradling one hand behind the front fins and your other hand just forward of the tail fin. Minimize the time out of the water, then hold the fish in the water to recover. If fishing in a river, point the fish upstream while reviving it. When the fish begins to struggle and swim normally, let it go.

Get a life...

Bear's cut and paste article is spot on for wild Fish that have to be released, but in this case, a little misguided in my opinion, considering the care and respect that Sharphooks has for the resource. Sometimes when you are on the river, you can't always follow all of the safe release guidelines, but as long as care is used, you can't ask for more than an honest effort.

I have edited and cleaned up this thread as it was degenerating into name calling and finger pointing. I stopped short of removing the fish handling commentary completely, as it is a good example of what happens too often when this type of post occurs. These debates, while educational and important to the resource, need to occur in their own thread.

Brian

You can tell it was a gentle beaching, not much else you can do with a fish that size, nicely done.

I was going to respond to the fish handling comments but refrained from doing so because it would have been a wasted effort. Steelmadness's quote above I thought contained the most wisdom: with fish that size there are always some operational difficulties introduced into the landing part of the ordeal: their girth precludes any subtle moves: they beach themselves in 10" of water and you're stuck on the beach trying to figure out what to do next. No way would I have netted it: that would have caused way more stress and potential damage to the fish.

So I found some wet rocks and was lucky enough to be able to snake him up on his side and remove the hook.

Yes, I could have cut the line. But I'll freely admit that I wanted to get a look at the fish-- it was a stunning specimen and I thought I'd share his wonder on a public forum. Maybe that was a mistake because not everybody has the same sentiments about posts like this. In my experience, the negative comments usually are from people who do not spend much time on the river and have pre-conceived notions about various sport fisheries that do not always dovetail with what's logical or expedient from not only a fisherman's point of view, but from the hooked fish's standpoint.

I will add here that I have been going to the Skeena system since the mid 70's every Fall without fail and have been releasing fish like that buck long before it became mandatory to do so by regulatory mandate. Some might have been bigger, some smaller, but all were handled gently, revived if necessary and all swum away vigorously on their own steam.

I usually fish alone so in 35 years of steelhead fishing I've been forced to figure out a solo approach to fighting, beaching then releasing fish. I rarely use the rod when bringing the fish to the beach-- I wear a glove and hand-line the fish to the beach on 12 lb Maxima to get the fight over QUICKLY to minimize lactic acid build up.

And in all those years, I have NEVER seen dead steelhead washed into a back eddies that died from being mishandled after being released, by myself or anyone else. Truth is, they are an extremely hearty strong fish and if one were to point fingers as to why the native steelhead stocks are under such stress, C&R sportsfisheries would be last on the list of culpable reasons.

Just for your information, I have been fishing for over a half century. Held a fresh water guide license for a number of years. Guided both fresh and salt water and was involved in "Catch and Release" studies for B.C. Fish and wildlife as well as Federal Fisheries. Remember, mishandling fish in a C&R fisheries is the main cause of mortality. There is another saying, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks".

Just for your information, I have been fishing for over a half century. Held a fresh water guide license for a number of years. Guided both fresh and salt water and was involved in "Catch and Release" studies for B.C. Fish and wildlife as well as Federal Fisheries. Remember, mishandling fish in a C&R fisheries is the main cause of mortality. There is another saying, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks".

Hey Bear. Might want to divert your attention from the individual fish you have been catching over all those years and try focusing on the environment they live in for a moment! From what I have seen, IMHO, is that there are other factors being the "main cause of mortality" to steelhead. Starting from conception: silt, stream bed movement, disease, funguses, starvation, assorted birds, mink, otters, seals, other countless ocean occurances, some rivers gillnets. And you think catch and release fishing is the biggest cause of mortality!! lol

Back