LaPerouse Bank

hiroshi

Just got back from Ucluelet. Big tyee's haven't shown up yet. SouthWest Corner had nothing to show except for One Spring. Seems all the fish are at Big Bank and South Bank. Halibuts galore. More Halibut than you can count. Mostly small ones. Biggest tyee at Island West Resort last week was 36lbs. I think we have another year like last year. Late run of tyee's. Portland point outside should produce some nice ones later on. I'll just have to wait til next year.

If you dont mind me asking, what was the bait of choice for the hali. Ill be heading to tofino end of July 1st week of Aug. Staying at weigh west.

DaN

Don't mind at all. We're all into having a good time fishing. White Berkley Power Bait worked like crazy. Used it with a spreader bar and small circle hooks. Don't know why but, they sure do hold on. Get ready for some major action and fun.

hiroshi how did you hook the power bait to the spreader bar. I have been using jig heads for the power baits but like the idea of a spreader bar.

Try a steel leader (single/single or single/treble) or use some 80lb dacron line and tie just like an anchovie rig but further apart... worked in the past!

I just tie a 30lb mono leader from the spreader to the hook. Pass the hook thru the PowerBait. If you think 30 is light. Tie a piece to a post and try to break it. Man! it's hard.

Back