Laminating Epoxy

Kilwinning

Crew Member
Question about epoxy

Is laminating epoxy a good fit for adding multiple layers to the transom skin on my older double eagle.

I was thinking of using silver tip laminating epoxy. When I removed the wood I removed some fibreglass in the odd spot, was just going to repair with thickened epoxy and the go over the whole works with another layer or two of cloth.
Opinions for or against welcomed
Thanks Kilwinning

Question about epoxy

Is laminating epoxy a good fit for adding multiple layers to the transom skin on my older double eagle.

I was thinking of using silver tip laminating epoxy. When I removed the wood I removed some fibreglass in the odd spot, was just going to repair with thickened epoxy and the go over the whole works with another layer or two of cloth.
Opinions for or against welcomed
Thanks Kilwinning
I have strayed from the path once with epoxy and will never do so again.
West Systems is the only epoxy I use for all my projects that require a secondary bond.
They have a fantastic FREE download online called the “Fiberglass Boat Repair & Maintenance”
If you do exactly what the book says you will win!
The only thing I would stray from is their filler is colloidal silica and their proprietary glass is 1708 Biax which is pretty standard fair.
Everyone complains how expensive the stuff is but it sure goes a long way and in reality is cheaper than a gallon of 2 part paint.
This is just me, but if there is torn out patches of laminate at the transom I would fix them properly but…….
You can do whatever you want

silver tip is good easy to work with they claim no blush but still would clean between cures.

this guy knows his stuff worth watching his videos

I have strayed from the path once with epoxy and will never do so again.
West Systems is the only epoxy I use for all my projects that require a secondary bond.
They have a fantastic FREE download online called the “Fiberglass Boat Repair & Maintenance”
If you do exactly what the book says you will win!
The only thing I would stray from is their filler is colloidal silica and their proprietary glass is 1708 Biax which is pretty standard fair.
Everyone complains how expensive the stuff is but it sure goes a long way and in reality is cheaper than a gallon of 2 part paint.
This is just me, but if there is torn out patches of laminate at the transom I would fix them properly but…….
You can do whatever you want
Thanks Fritz
i will fix it properly with layers of cloth built up to the right thickness , not going to take short cuts now that the dirty work is done.
I have down loaded west systems manual ,
The laminating epoxy looked interesting to me , so if it’s on par with west systems I’ll have to make a decision.
Thanks again

silver tip is good easy to work with they claim no blush but still would clean between cures.

this guy knows his stuff worth watching his videos
That’s good to know Brando, I have watched quite a few of that guy’s videos and your right he does know his stuff. Thanks again
Kilwinning.

Thanks Fritz
i will fix it properly with layers of cloth built up to the right thickness , not going to take short cuts now that the dirty work is done.
I have down loaded west systems manual ,
The laminating epoxy looked interesting to me , so if it’s on par with west systems I’ll have to make a decision.
Thanks again
That manual is great! And I wasn’t trying to torpedo anyones products. It’s just what has always provided the best and most consistent results from my experience. Also when you’re in heavy swells you won’t regret it ;)

That manual is great! And I wasn’t trying to torpedo anyones products. It’s just what has always provided the best and most consistent results from my experience. Also when you’re in heavy swells you won’t regret it ;)
Thanks Fritz , I’m always open to opinions and experience, Do it once do it right,
and times two on the heavy swells

Back