Lake Cowichan

Creek Mouths, and im unsure of the regs there but this time of year they're getting ready to spawn so I find a big intruding leach pattern or muddler fished deep usually can entice a bite.

Yes there are some kokanee in the lake. The kokanee lend to be pretty small, 10 or 11 inches or less. I was never sure if I was catching a kokanee or juvenile salmon so have never kept any. They could be visible in schools chasing surface insects in the summer on occasion and would bite a spinner and worm or smaller flatfish lures.

...Rob

fished 3 days on the north end of the lake near wardrover, not a single bite. tried 3" tomics, spinners, minnows, spoons, apex, flatfish. depths from surface to 20ft.

help! am i in the wrong place or doing something wrong? please tell me someone catches fish up this end of the lake.

try fishing the area between pine point campground and maple grove campground,just in front of all the residences.not deep, use a cowichan spoon,worm.there is a place to launch as well.also try shaw creek good luck

Sorry to resurrect the thread but I'm heading up to cowichan this weekend. I'll be around the wardroper area and I like to get out on the water each morning in the tinny and see if I can coax some breakfast out of the lake.
I took the advice of fivespot in april but had no luck getting fish in the boat :)

Any additional tips/suggestions would be welcome.

Aridhol~fivespots advice was good, but now with the summer heat the fish tend to be deeper and less active. Try early morning with plugs and spoons way back from the boat like 150 feet as the fish lurk in the drop offs but spook easily. Wardroper can be low flow this time of year but to the west are McKay and Shaw creeks which can be a bit more productive. Shore casting with worms, power bait, or spoons can also work. So set your alarm and good luck.

Was down there last week. Fished late morning till early afternoon. Best sucess was a 3 inch white tomic at 70 ft in front of the south end of Bald Mountain. Averaging a fish per 15 minutes. 2 oversized and returned. lots of 12-14 inch and a few in the 18-20 inch range.
the creek mouth north of/and Youbou bay, but it was scratchy.

Back