La Perouse Bank buoy data

Looking at Windyty it could be correct. I haven't been watching it that closely but have been watching South Brooks. Looks like there might be a patch of calm out there for the next day or 2. Hoping it stays longer. In Nootka tomorrow till Friday. Not looking good for later in the week. Are you thinking about making a tuna run?

Tomorrow is the day of days in the next little while by the looks of things but there is a lack of tempeture data and a bit of a swell running tomorrow and some rain so I'm not going to give it a rub tomorrow. There is actually some good looking water off tofino but the other issues, rain, swell are keeping me away. I've gotten picky.

Back to the buoy, I still think that there is an issue with the wind data.

On Friday, the VHF weather had most stations at 15-25 knots SE and La Perouse as calm. It was 15-25 SE both at the Red can and then outside the Broken group where I was that morning. I watch it often. Rarely would there be more than 3 consecutive hours of calm in a day let alone 23/24 hours of calm. Seems untrustworthy. Swell Watch and Big Wave Dave Long Beach wind predictions are models rather than real reports, but they are usually pretty close to what happens.

I'm here to tell you it was windy as S@$t Saturday when the winds were reported as 3 knts. Made the decision to head out off shore thinking the report was accurate, but NOT. Good thing fishing was decent to make up for the rough ride out and back.

Ya ok. Im not the only one. Thanks for the reply's. Maybe Ill call the coast guard and mention it. I usually don't have a problem with the wind data from that buoy but the last couple of weeks have not seemed right.

What a bunch of Horse sh*t. They don't even bother to update the La Perouse Ocean Buoy report on their web page. A simple add on in RED identifying that their Anemometer is broken would probably be a real good idea. Freakin morons are always so worried about liability that they always over predict the weather, then when the weather really IS the sh*ts, they have an ocean buoy that is pronouncing that all is calm and has been for the past 24 hours......

La Perouse Bank - 46206
11:00 AM PDT 14 July 2016Buoy position: 48.83N 126.0W
This table is a summary of hourly weather conditions for the weather station or buoy.
Please note that these observations might not always be representative of weather conditions over their associated marine area.
Wind (knots) calm Pressure and tendency (kPa) 102.5 —
Wave height (m) 1.8 Air temperature (°C) 15
Wave period (s) 6.0 Water temperature (°C) 14

Maybe this issue is in part due to the ukee station being closed. No know one here to make 'BASIC" observations.

Just received a call back from the coast guard stating that YES the info provided is incorrect and the equipment will be repaired in 7 to 10 days and a notice to shipping will be posted.

Back