La Nina May Fade by June, Long-Range 2011 Outlook Still Unclear

SerengetiGuide

So what exactly does this mean for catch rates in the Pacific? Someone once told me that warmer waters keep the salmon in the ocean for longer to feed, and therefore catch rates go up, yet I know the colder water is better for outgoing fry and younger salmon...for actual fishing the returners what does this exactly mean though?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...ne-long-range-2011-outlook-still-unclear.html

La Nina, a cooling in the Pacific Ocean, weakened for the third straight month, leading U.S. forecasters to believe it will be gone by June, the Climate Prediction Center reported.

La Nina will continue to bring warmer and drier air to the U.S. South and cooler conditions in the North until it fades completely, according to the center in Camp Springs, Maryland. The cycle of warming and cooling in the Pacific is referred to as the El Nino-Southern Oscillation, or ENSO.

“Nearly all ENSO models predict La Nina to continue weakening in the coming months, and the majority of the models indicate a return to ENSO-neutral conditions by June 2011,” according to a statement released by the center. “The forecasts for the late summer and beyond are highly uncertain.”

On average, La Nina occurs every three to five years and lasts nine to 12 months, sometimes persisting as long as two years. The phenomenon has been blamed for enhancing hurricane development in the Atlantic by limiting wind shear there that can tear budding storms apart.

There is a chance that an El Nino, a warming of the Pacific, may form by the end of the year or that the La Nina may return. An El Nino can actually inhibit hurricanes in the Atlantic by increasing wind shear there.

Yesterday, researchers at Colorado State University lowered their seasonal Atlantic storm forecast to 16 named storms from 17 because of the fading La Nina. However, 16 storms with winds of at least 39 miles per hour (63 kilometers per hour) are still above the 11 that appear in an average season.

Just looked it up and last El Nino started summer 2009, and was just after a transition from a La Nina, and that was the best fishing season we have ever had...looks like similar circumstances this summer...thoughts? I'm just bored and procrastinating studying for finals :D :D

Back