Kicker Problem

Tiki35

That same day I was fishing, I got my stuff tangled in some commercial fisherman's prawn traps. I never saw any buoys. Anyway, miraculously I never lost any gear. However, after that I noticed my 1998 Mercury 9.9 kicker was not peeing anymore and it always pee'd like a racehorse. It might have stopped before this that day, but I only noticed it after the entanglement. Anyway, I shut her down. She ran fine either way. I can't say she was running hot because due to the sun, you could fry an egg on the cowlings that day. There were no blockages at the water intake and pee tube was clear. Several hours later, I fired her up again, and she did pee, but very weak. What do you think? Impeller, thermostat?

Who has changed their impeller on this engine? Do I leave it in neutral or put it in forward? Do I have to disconnect the shift rod?

Depending on what style outboard you have you may or may not have to disconect shift shaft. If you shift it with a lever on the side Shift shaft is splined and just pulls apart. If it shifts on the tiller handle with the throttle you nead to disconect a black plastic flip up thing on top of shift shaft under carb. Flip it up and pull out pin. Removing it in gear makes it easyer to reinstall as drive splines can be aligned by turning prop. Make sure shift and gearcase are both still in forward before reinstalling.

Products such as salt neutralizer can also be ran through motor in a test tank, this should clear any blockage you can also spray back through tell tail tube. When was your pump last seviced, if not in the last couple years at least check the pump anyway or else when it does pack it in your gearcase may not come off as the driveshaft will seize into the crankshaft if not removed periodicly.

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

Pull the pee tube out of the couling and blow and suck through it trying to clear the blockage, then restart or run fresh water through it. If you are lucky this may be all you need.

if the pee tube is not blocked, chances are very good your water pump is in need of repair. it only takes 5-10 seconds of water not getting to the pump for it to cook itself. any blockage of the inlet can do this including a hunk of salad.

Tiki35, most often it's the tube that's plugged. Pull the tube off where it comes out of the engine block when the engine is running. If the water shoots out then follow the tube down to find the blockage. Most often it is a salt build up that causes the problem.

After you pull the tube off and it dribbbbels out then it's the impellor.

Back