kicker problem

R

rico

i am having a problem. It is a 7.5 merc, probably late 80's or early 90's 2 stroke. It is only running on 1 cylinder. I thought i was having spark issues, but i am getting a spark. Is it possible to only be getting fuel to 1 cylinder? Runs pretty good, but for sure only on 1 cylinder. Anyone have any ideas?

Not a mechanic here and do not profess I have a clue as to what I am talking about when it comes to 2 stroke outboards! :D

Is the spark plug wet, when you try to start it?
If not you could try a bit of gas in the plug hole and see if it fires?
If it does, I would go after the fuel system!
Starting with the filters, lines and carbs.

But, I think it won't fire, and I would revisit the ignition system.
I would check the coil first?
Here is a video on youtube on how to test a coil http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT8rk5QWgS0

If that checks out, I would then do these checks: http://www.cdielectronics.com/Portals/0/installsheet/114-7452A 3.pdf
This is NOT your engine, but the checks should be valid?

If it is an ignition problem this might also help: http://www.outboardignition.com/tips.asp

Have you verified what cyl is not firing? Does intermittantly choking the unit fire up the other cyl.? There are a number of things it may be but you have to answer these questions first.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Verify first that you have a cylinder down. Pull the spark plug wire while running (with insulated plyers) if no change in performance then that cylinder is not firing. If not it is either spark or fuel. If you have a good strong spark, clean carb for starters.

These are all good ideas, I would also check and clean your plugs. It sounds like a fouled plug to me. I too do not know a lot about problem solving a 2 stroke but by trying these ideas at least its a start and if you still have to take it in for repair after trying thse good ideas then at least you know you've done what you can do and its up to a "real" machanic to find the problem. Hope this helps.... Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

Thanks guys. I have been messing around for a couple evenings now on this thing. I really want to get it running good for the weekend, especially while the fishing is hot. Some great points were raised and when i get home from work, i will try them, and i'll post back and let you know how it is going.

Could it be a dead spark plug? I have had plugs that seem to fire when out of the engine, but when I put them back it would ground itself out in the spark plug hole. Changed plugs and no more problem.

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

That was one of the things that i suspected, so i swithched the plugs from the working cylinder the bad, still no change. Tonight is going to be the big wrench fest.

Don't mess with switching the old plugs around, put 2 new fresh ones in it. When diagnosing a problem you are going through a process of elimination. Change the plugs, if no change..eliminate them from the list.....start with the cheap things first.

i am in gordon head, by upper lambrick ball fields.
Here is the scenario: 2 cylinder 7.5 merc 2 stroke :
Only running on 1 cylinder, i know this because lack of power, and if i pull the second lead, no difference in how the engine runs.

What i have done: pulled both spark plugs, grounded 1 at a time, and both spark. In fact, they spark about the same. This would indicate 2 good coils, plugs and leads.
I then checked compression. 93 in #1, and 95 in #2.Put it back together, still only 1 cylinder. I took the wires that went to #2 coil, put them on #1 coil, then i put #2 plug lead on #1 coil, to prove the lead, and the plug. Fired right up and ran exactly the same, but on #2 cylinder this time. I figured i would plug the wires into the bad(?) coil and see if #1 will run. No go. I swapped the plugs, same result so plugs must be good.

( 2 nights ago)
I have an old 9.8 merc that does not run that well, but it runs and it uses the same coils. I pulled both of those coils and tried them. Same result. I thought there was an outside chance, with luck, that i had 3 bad coils on my hands. So i went to a guys house who was selling coils. I bought one off of him. Came back, tried it, and same result. I thought maybe his coil was bad. So i went back to his place, he was kind enough to swap the coil with another one he had, i came back, same thing. I am pretty sure that i don't have 5 bad coils.

(back to tonight)
Charlie left a youtube video of how to check coils. I watched it, then went and checked my coils, of the 4 i have now, 1 was bad. The other 3 show the same resistance as my known working coil. I figured bad ground, because these types of coils have a ground wire at the back, which needs to ground out against the housing. I sanded the housing for better contact. Same result. I ran an extra wire to ground, it didn't help.

With the engine running, if i pull #1 plug lead and hold it close to the spark plug, it arcs bigtime and stays running. The spark on #2, when i pull the lead, is not there. If i put a screw driver in the socket of the lead, and arc it to the plug, you can barely see the spark. So i guess i am not getting enough spark.

I guess the answer is not enough spark, but if my coil is good, my lead is good, my plug is good, it must be a bad ground? I can hear an arc'ing tick when the motor is running, and i only hear it when the wires are connected to #2 coil. I looked all around to see if i could find the arc, i couldn't see it. So i waited till dark, then i fired it up, and looked very closely, i could not see any arc'ing.
I am not really too sure what else i could try? Look harder for the bad ground i guess. Any ideas?
Thanks guys,

Like I said… I am Not a mechanic! But, what the hey, at least I was right about a bad coil! [:I]

You did replace that coil that tested bad and not just clean the ground, right?</u> If not, replace it before you do anything else!

So now, I would make sure all the engine and battery ground wires are clean. Check for any corroded, broken, or any bare wires and make sure you check the wires on the stator for corrosion. After that I would pull the flywheel to make sure there are no magnets loose.

Give it a start… hmm, I bet you still have the same problem! :(

Which means it is probably the power pack or stator.

And, I would head straight for the power pack!!!! I have had to replace them before and a power pack failure is not that uncommon. In fact, it is so common at this point I would just replace it. Especially if you go to WCVI. That is a nice extra part to have with you and if it isn't the problem just keep the old one for a spare! If you have two (which I don't think you do)replace them both!

I think your engine is now running! :D

But if not, go for the stator or trigger. If you can check for low voltage prior to replacing the stator. The voltage of the stator should be at least 180 volts on one side and 25 volts on the other? If anything less, then it is probably the stator. The trigger, I have never had to replace, so I know nothing about!

If the above doesn't work… I don't have a clue and I would be hooking up with Island Fish Lifter! :D

Well, believe it or not, i had 1 good coil, and 5 bad ones. The odds of 5 bad ones out of 6, especially when they come from supposed 'running' motors, i thought were high. I also tested the coils, but i guess its a different story when they are loaded up. I tested the kicker in the water and she runs like a dream again! Thanks for the help guys.

Back