Kicker, How big?

drad2k4

I have a 16' welded armstrong aluminum and I am trying to find a kicker for it. It is currently powered by 65 hp evinrude. I think 4hp should be enough and 6 optimal. However, my dad thinks that 4 won't be enough. What do you guys think. The boat is fairly heavy gauge, but not that big.

You will be sorry if you get a 4hp..
i used to have a 4.5hp evinrude, not enough jam to push you through
any strong currents or wind.

Depends on where you want to fish. I tried a 4hp of my buddies on my 16 foot double eagle and it could not even move the boat forward against the tides in campbell river but worked well on the west coast. But my boat is probably WAY lighter than yours.

I agree that the 4hp is too small. Get a least a 6hp and if the weight difference isn't too much for you, consider the 8hp.

just went throught he same thing with a 16 hourston...i went with an 8hp and glad i did...

One consideration I would recommend looking closely at is the ability of the kicker to charge your battery. I had an 8 hp Yamaha which I got rid of to move up to the 9.9 which had a larger charging unit. You will find that with the small engines they are not able to adequately charge up you battery if you use your down rigger a lot. Something to at least think about.

I've got a T-8 and have never had any battery issues. I run three downriggers and all my electonics all day, no problems. Just my opinion, I think you'll be just fine with an 8hp.

I have a yammi T8 (2006) on my welded 17' Charges the batteries fine..laptop,gps,downriggers, stereo..no problems.. I would not want any less power that that because of currents, wind, etc.

Back