Kicker choices

Sea Ranger

The old kicker motor has seen better days so its time for a new one. I'm thinking about buying a new 4 stroke yamaha 9.9 long shaft, electric start, high thrust but one of the dealers I talked to is trying to sell me a 9.9 that is not high thrust and the other dealer I talked to wants me to buy an 8 hp high thrust. It will be going on a 17 Arima Sea Ranger. Should I be buying an 8 hp or a 9.9 hp and do I really need high thrust? There is a lot of experience on this site and I appreciate any help I can get regarding this .... thanks... Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

I've Had both, I prefer the 8 horse seems to run smoother. For some reason I found the 9.9 harder to start.
If you can spring for the remote control, hydraulic lift....its awesome.
You'll be happy with either. See if they have new old stock saved a few bucks doing that.
Dan

a high thrust is only good for the boat not a skiff so if thats all you are using it for than a high thrust is the answer a 8 hp is all you need

Ranger

Bigmeal and I both got the 8hp high thrust last year and as you know he has the same boat as you . It pushes his Arima along just fine with lots of extra throttle if required .

id go 8 as I have heard the same of the 9.9 running not as quiet .

Drop me a line if you want to come over and see her run
or even better the three of us out on bigmeals boat sound like a blast ..... wait we better ask Ken ....

tubbed

I have the 8HP High thrust and it pushes along my 18ft Livingstone very well , quiet and starts easy , .67 of a liter an hour when trolling !

AL

quote:Originally posted by danthewire

See if they have new old stock saved a few bucks doing that.
Dan
One of the dealers I was talking to has a new 8 hp high thrust for a good price but it is left over from 2007 stock for $2500.00 . Does that sound like a good buy? I would imagine it would come with all the warranty.

fish.gif

Check the mainland, up the valley a little ways. When I bought mine I saved 250? bucks, I was over there anyhow.
The warranty and everything was still the same.
I'll PM you with the details.
Dan

Thanks for all the replies, it seems the 8 hp motor is the favorite. I'll think about it over the weekend and come Monday or Tuesday see about buying the 8 hp. Now I'm going to need a solid mount (I've heard them called kicker pods) was told that could run about $500 or $600 alone.

fish.gif

Nope, there's a guy in Duncan who makes them out
of powder coated aluminum $225.00

tp://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/brand-new-kicker-bracket_8176721

ask "tubbed out" i believe he bought one ?

Thanks RS, That sounds like a great price. I can sell the kicker bracket I have now for almost that much....That helps a lot thanks :)

fish.gif

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Nope, there's a guy in Duncan who makes them out
of powder coated aluminum $225.00

tp://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/brand-new-kicker-bracket_8176721

ask "tubbed out" i believe he bought one ?
Thanks again RS, I've talked to Rob and ordered one. He was just about to make one for an Arima so now he's going to make two of them.

fish.gif

kickermount.jpg
[/img]
The Arima's transom slants the other way thats why it has to be specially made.

fish.gif

Yea RS good memory

got one from Rob and have not looked back , real nice job , powder coat is great . He even met me 1/2 way

Love that my new kicker investment is hanging on a solid mount

tubbed

Hey Sea Ranger
If you are going with the fixed bracket on the Arima, consider the remote package with tilt and trim on the kicker.
Aside from being a pain to sit on the back to run the throttle and steer, leaning over the bait wells to tilt a motor on a fixed bracket up and down is a long reach on an Arima.
A few extra bucks for the tilt and trim but its only (your) money.
[My boat, 16' SC with high thrust 8 on a lift bracket, electric start and remote, but no tilt and trim, next time it has it all.)

Thanks Time, one way to go is to have all of the best you can buy for a kicker motor, power tilt and trim would be nice and I will take a close look at that option but didn't think the kicker would really need to have power tilt and trim. Electric start is a must and with it comes a charging unit which I also think is a must if using electric downriggers.The kicker bracket I have on the boat now is a lift bracket and it tends to flop around when running and not good for the kicker motor so a new fixed bracket is on order.I don't want remote steering as I will connect it to the big motor and steer it that way.I'm still undecided as to which motor I will buy but come next week I will decide.

fish.gif

I ordered my new kicker motor yesterday and I'm going to go pick it up today..... a Yammy 8hp long shaft high thrust electric start and even though I didn't want power tilt the motor came with it. I think I got a great deal on it.... $3000.00 plus tax. Also get the new kicker bracket today that was specially made for an Arima. One question I have for anyone out there is..... how do I know how high to mount the new kicker bracket?

fish.gif

I better mention that the new bracket is a pod mount bracket not a drop down bracket.

fish.gif

I would mount it so that the cavitation plate on the kicker is even with the bottom of the Hull or slightly lower if the power head is high enough to keep from catching spray constantly when tilted up and running. Any higher in relation to the Hull and you will compromise your steerage. You'll love that motor, Osprey

Back