Juan de Fuce officials Galvanize to Battle Stupid DFO Move

Hey tiger, if all the upgrades were made then I do not understand what the big issue is. It definitely cannot be insurance as you do not have to have insurance to own and operate a dam. BC Hydro does insure some of their dams at very high cost but those are higher risk class dams and BC Hydro is a different entity altogether. There are hundreds of private ranchers and irrigators in BC who own and operate private dams and they all have no liability insurance - as far as I know. Demamiel Dam has the lowest dam failure consequence classification and should therefore come with minimal liability risks.[/QU
Chris
This is the latest info I have
Insurance cost was never an issue, didn’t come up with DFO. I suspect they never held insurance on the structure. Liability assumption was the only thing on the table in that regard. The Society wasn’t about to assume full liability for any and all incidents concerning the dam. That includes any personal injury scenarios that might arise, aside from damages from failures.

The biggest issue other than that one was cost for continued existence. This would include rebuilding road access to DFO guidelines, complete assessment of the structure and possible downstream damage from a failure. Also included was the removal and relocation of the valve to new specs.

When we did the repairs in 2000 DFO put the valve in the wrong place and also deactivated the road when the project was completed.
So I think they DFO should pay for the repairs and road upgrade. The SSES could do regular maintenance IE valve opening/closing brush clearing and spillway cleaning. Also at that time a yearly dam inspection with photos for BC Dam Safety Board. The Spillway was orignally designed for a 200 year flood and then cut down to more than double that. 500 Year flood we all need to be afraid if that happens.

Yeah, I suspect DFO just does not want to pay for those upgrades. So we would have to raise money for the SSES to pay for this if we want to cut a deal with them. As someone who knows a little about engineering structures such as dams I would say the liability that comes with taking this dam over from DFO is acceptable for SSES without expensive insurances - if you can even get them. I would not lose sleep over this liability.

As far as I know from the dam safety regulations, a dam of the lowest failure consequence classification does not require a yearly review - just a visual inspection of the structure. I believe the regulations call for a full assessment and engineering report every 10 years for such a dam. The yearly inspection is done by the owner only and I am sure we can find someone qualified to do this for free - I volunteer if needed.

The questions is if the SSES is legally able to take over the licences and ownership or if DFO need to remain the owner and the SSES can just assume the O&M of the structure. Someone needs to talk to John Baldwin about this.

We can complain till the cows come home. What we really need is some high profile ppl from Hollywood. When they get involved things change. The east coast baby seal cull is a perfect example.

Need help with this one

We can complain till the cows come home. What we really need is some high profile ppl from Hollywood. When they get involved things change. The east coast baby seal cull is a perfect example.

Does any one know any high profile people to help with this. I am ready to go to war with this but need help. DFO enough with the stupid decision!!!
TOWN HALL MEETING with all parties attending.

say when TP

The lastest remark on The Dam and DFO

All that time, and DFO wants to blow dam up

By Ana Simeon, Times ColonistFebruary 5, 2012

When it's cold and raining, two hours of unpaid labour outdoors seem like an inconvenience. Repeated over time, and factoring in the kids' homework, caring for an aging parent, or simply the exhaustion after a hectic work week, it adds up to a real sacrifice.

The coho run in De Mamiel Creek was rebuilt because thousands of people invested their caring, time and energy in the health of their local stream. Their labour of love and unflagging generosity created true wealth for their community - measurable social and environmental capital.

Now the Ministry of Fisheries and Oceans wants to blow up the dam that prevents the creek from drying up in the summer. It says it cannot afford to pay $50,000 for an engineering review of the De Mamiel Creek dam and/or any repairs that may be needed.

Yet it has no qualms about the billable hours involved in fighting a federal court decision aimed at protecting resident orca whales, nor is any expense spared in contesting peer-reviewed science by Alexandra Morton and others that shows salmon feedlots harm wild salmon.

Why does DFO begrudge the funds for protecting marine resources and food security in our communities while subsidizing activities that are harmful to ocean health? And why are we, the people, letting them get away with it?

Ana Simeon Sierra Club

Victoria

We are still working on this. Every one is on side except DFO. We need all the funding supporters to send DFO a letter to let them know that some of there money went in to this project.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Habitat+healing+after+fuel+spill/6459571/story.html

It is true that the Goldstream will recover over time as the fuel evaporates, is flushed out and diluted and a very small amount actually recovered.

The real tragedy is the losses of young wild Chinook and Steelhead (and their genetic diversity) that were in the stream at the time and were found dead after the spill. With numbers as low as they are for these species, the impact will be felt in the future when they are not available to spawn. The stream will continue to provide a pretty park setting but once the wild fish are gone, they are gone.

At least this tragedy was an accident, though a preventable one, (a drunk driver in charge of a large quantity of hazardous explosive cargo). DFO’s plan to destroy the small water flow regulating Dam on De Mamiel Creek in Sooke and wipe out a run of Coho is deliberate. It should concern us all that this is being done in order to save a small amount of money and eliminate any possible liability issue for DFO, no matter how remote or absurd that possibility is.

The DFO manager pushing this decision needs to be held accountable by his political masters or we voters need to hold those federal politicians accountable in the next election.

The next time you release a wild/unclipped Coho because DFO tells us there are too few to allow us to keep them, REMEMBER De MAMIEL CREEK.

Those business’s who depend on sport fishing should also remember it when their profits drop or they go out of business.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back