John Duncan Statement on Halibut Allocation - Sept.7, 2011

I am sorry fish4 I am not convinced that the commies are taking the hit for conservation when they get to carry forward to the next year the un-caught quota from the last year. That as far as I am concerned, should be gone like leaves in the fall. Evey year should be new numbers as is for the sports fishers.
You are buying the same smoke and mirrors that is being run by us.

Perhaps you dont quite understand the carry over rules and how they are applied.
Perhaps that is due to the fact the recreational sector has never been held accontable for it's overages.

So from what i gather the lodge and charter sector expect the commcial guys to take the full brunt of conservation while they carry on business as usual? Like that's going to happen....

Time to get the commercial sports out of the stoneage.

Back again with the same stuff??? Do you really need to go down the lodge and guides road again?...You know what the real facts are...come on....really???

Yes fish4 I don't understand the rules and especially how they were set . In my mind the quoata should never have been gifted to commies. It belongs to the people not a select few who have either hed their noses wedged up the right bum or those that had the cash to buy something that did not belong to who gave it away. When YOU AQUIRE STOLEN PROPERTY YOU BECOME ONE WITH THE THIEF.

Yes fish4 I don't understand the rules and especially how they were set . In my mind the quoata should never have been gifted to commies. It belongs to the people not a select few who have either hed their noses wedged up the right bum or those that had the cash to buy something that did not belong to who gave it away. When YOU AQUIRE STOLEN PROPERTY YOU BECOME ONE WITH THE THIEF.

So where is my canadian royality check from you fellows up there exporting all our oil?

Not one drop should be sold until all canadians tanks are full.

It is in the mail. You are not able to see the oil is not gifted so I will not try and ******** you like you are trying to ******** me.

While you are looking for royalty checks stop off at Victoria and ask your provincial govt where is the oil and gas royalties from BC going to. Don't wait up too late for your check as it is probably gone east to the have nots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pat-- I gave a copy of the BOHICA at the end of the meeting to John Duncan's Director of Policy (Kym Purchase) She promised me she would pass it around, but that the process was not already fixed-- Only time will tell. I dont buy Arizona desert land or believe in the Tooth Fairy....................

BTW, did you notice that The Island Fishermen is still running the halibut quota for sale ads? Guess Larry S. still does not get the picture..

Tx Brian. Guess I tend to be jaded. I believe that the best way to judge someone is by looking at their past practice. In other words, the way they react to past situations is a good predictor of how they are likely to act in future. So as far as the DFO process, my stated views are based on observations of past performance. I really do hope I'm wrong, but I rather think that is unlikely...so, BOHICA.

Yes, did notice the ads - desperate times call for desperate measures. They really need to find ways to sell quota to make this work...and no one I know is that stupid or desperate.

The fact is when one is losing an arguement the replies become irrelevant to the subject. Typical smoke screen.

So where is my canadian royality check from you fellows up there exporting all our oil?

Not one drop should be sold until all canadians tanks are full.

That fight was fought in the early 80's and according to the Canadian constitution the resource belongs to the province.
Remember the "let those easterners freeze in the dark" from then Premier Lougheed. Well who won that one? Yup the people of Alberta, that's why they get the cheques not us.

GLG

Fish4all why is there still 2 million pounds not caught from the commercial allocation of the Canadian TAC?
Perhaps there is no demand from the US market.

GLG

Fish4all why is there still 2 million pounds not caught from the commercial allocation of the Canadian TAC?
Perhaps there is no demand from the US market.

GLG

Your kidding right? With a 13 million cut in alaska this is the highest demand and price for halibut.

The larger boats wait till mid sept or later as the price of hali goes up. It's called a business plan. One of the many advantages of the quota system as it lets you plan your season.Lets see what is left in the water Nov 15 when the season closes.
I know there will be someone pointing out that the rec fishery is closed, the season is also closed for many commercial boats that have caught their allocation. There are many commercial boats who had there season end by May.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your kidding right? With a 13 million cut in alaska this is the highest demand and price for halibut.

The larger boats wait till mid sept or later as the price of hali goes up. It's called a business plan. One of the many advantages of the quota system as it lets you plan your season.Lets see what is left in the water Nov 15 when the season closes.
I know there will be someone pointing out that the rec fishery is closed, the season is also closed for many commercial boats that have caught their allocation. There are many commercial boats who had there season end by May.

So is this a part-time job for many of them?

Yes I believe so. Once the time on the water is done then they go back for the hand-out which is called UIC. Quite similar to a Royalty check or what is called a fund all workers in Canada pay into to help even the table for all. Or otherwise called sharing the burden.

Yes I believe so. Once the time on the water is done then they go back for the hand-out which is called UIC. Quite similar to a Royalty check or what is called a fund all workers in Canada pay into to help even the table for all. Or otherwise called sharing the burden.
Yup went to apply today but the place was filled, with guides ..... Go figure.

You must mean part-time guides and full time commies.

Yup went to apply today but the place was filled, with guides ..... Go figure.

u got to be smoking something that ain't legal my friend....only commies collect UIC and have subsidized fuel and moorage paid for by the tax payer....but I'll gladly call myself a sport commie if I can cash in on those hand outs too!!

Stamp fisherman eh.

No but couldnt resist.

Yes moorage is cheaper being a commercial licensed vessel but no breaks on fuel.

Pehaps if there was an actual guide license those that qualify may get the same break on moorage.

Back on topic.
fish4all do you have a problem with cutting back on how much Canadian halibut leaves the country to supply foreign commercial markets. Do you not see why this is wrong when guys like me are told to get off the water because the foreign markets take priority to my needs. The solution is clear to me, revoke quota from people that by there own choice do not fish. Give that quota to people that do fish. You know guys like you and me. Makes perfect sense to me, fishing quota for fisherman not for market speculators.

GLG
By the buy you still owe me a case of beer or a few drinks in the pub.
Will collect when this is over.

Back