Jigging for Hali

I caught a sunken prawn trap a couple weeks back in 200' feet of water. Thought I had my first hali, I could have sworn I felt it fighting. :D

This exact thing happened to me too, the worst part was other boats coming close to check out the hali fight only to see me wrestle in a prawen trap ughhh embarasing

I caught a sunken prawn trap a couple weeks back in 200' feet of water. Thought I had my first hali, I could have sworn I felt it fighting. :D

This exact thing happened to me too, the worst part was other boats coming close to check out the hali fight only to see me wrestle in a prawen trap ughhh embarasing

Had a friend lose a nice steelhead in the Cheakamus. Mainline broke off right at the connection to the #10 barrel swivel. Same pool about a half hour late,r old guy who was fishing with us hooks into a nice steelhead. Except all he hooked was the eye of the swivel of the first lost fish. His hook point was right through the swivel eye. Brought the fish in, removed the first hook and she was gone in a flash.

Had a friend lose a nice steelhead in the Cheakamus. Mainline broke off right at the connection to the #10 barrel swivel. Same pool about a half hour late,r old guy who was fishing with us hooks into a nice steelhead. Except all he hooked was the eye of the swivel of the first lost fish. His hook point was right through the swivel eye. Brought the fish in, removed the first hook and she was gone in a flash.

What are the odds of that happening. LOL

Almost embarrassed to post but here it is; Last weekend North Island.

My rod got heavy, set hook, no fight just weight. Told all boat members out loud a couple times,"I have a rock" for 10 mins I reeled up from 340 ft with a dead weight on line. Imagine our surprise when a 50 lb hali swam up. Gaff and in boat. Hooks were deep in stomach, not sure why there was absolutely no head shakes, runs or normal hali movement. Best eating rock we ever had. But Halimark was quiet for some time as the teasing continued....

HM

Almost embarrassed to post but here it is; Last weekend North Island.

My rod got heavy, set hook, no fight just weight. Told all boat members out loud a couple times,"I have a rock" for 10 mins I reeled up from 340 ft with a dead weight on line. Imagine our surprise when a 50 lb hali swam up. Gaff and in boat. Hooks were deep in stomach, not sure why there was absolutely no head shakes, runs or normal hali movement. Best eating rock we ever had. But Halimark was quiet for some time as the teasing continued....

HM

You never know what they are going to do. I've had 40's fight like they are possessed and had 70's come straight to the boat no fight even after harpooned and gaffed still nothing.

Seen a guy do this same thing on the Cowichan several years back.Hooked a nice 12-14 lb. fish,brought
it in and he had hooked someone else's swivel that was hanging out of its yap on about a 24" leader
with a spin n glo well embedded in the roof of its mouth.Wouldn't have believed it could happen again in a million years.

Back