Ital-oh my god

donnie d

OK...I know this has been talked about before but I can’t help myself.

Want to puke? Watch Italo catch and “release” salmon/trout. Just watched a recent episode that hit the PVR...it was appalling.

Every fish belly up, reefed around by the gill plate, slime and blood everywhere, not a single downturned eye. But ohhh “what a great release.”

Hope he never comes to BC to film this garbage.

Gag.

Rant over.

Last edited:
Most of the ppl who do shows are the exact same....dont give a **** about the fish....only care about the footage.

Saw that episode. Hands right in gills of Chinook. Fish like lake trout and pike can handle that. Salmon can’t. Gill grabbing is an auto kill for salmon. They can handle some stuff but certainly not what he does

He does film in port McNeill actually every second year or so. Did this past season for sure.

Last edited:
Saw that episode. Hands right in gills of Chinook. Fish like lake trout and pike can handle that. Salmon can’t.

He does film in port McNeill actually every second year or so. Did this past season for sure.

Actually lake trout are notorious bleeders one of the worst I fish. I fish them lots on my home lake and very rarely bring one in the boat, live release in the water. If I do bring one in it's tailed very carefully a quick pic then released. Realeasing them can be very tricky as they will lay on their backs and float a long time, very touchy fish. The ice out here looks like the mat at an MMA fight after a weekend of ice fishing, absolutely discusses me.

But yes, these so called fisherman are goofs, Italo was fined back in the '80's if any of you recall in regards to things they were doing during filming.

Guides who pass big springs to clients around in the boat for hero pics and then put them back in the water are just as bad...love seeing the big springs bear hugged in the boat just so people can get a photo at any cost to the fish.
If it’s gonna be released keep it in the water!

Guides who pass big springs to clients around in the boat for hero pics and then put them back in the water are just as bad...love seeing the big springs bear hugged in the boat just so people can get a photo at any cost to the fish.
If it’s gonna be released keep it in the water!

Ive always hated that show and both wazchuk and italo, typical back east "know it all/Know jack all" fisherman. I get sick and tired of seeing bass fishing every day and night... boring

They were both charged with multiple offences back in the day. Closed seasons , closed area's , re-hooking previous caught fish and throwing them back in etc.. I think it was one of the camera guys that finally had enough and reported them .

OK...I know this has been talked about before but I can’t help myself.

Want to puke? Watch Italo catch and “release” salmon/trout. Just watched a recent episode that hit the PVR...it was appalling.

Every fish belly up, reefed around by the gill plate, slime and blood everywhere, not a single downturned eye. But ohhh “what a great release.”

Hope he never comes to BC to film this garbage.

Gag.

Rant over.

Was this the episode he fished with “Alda Nava” in a 17’ aluminium “Great Lakes salmon and trout” ??

If so here is a little correspondence I had with him.

The email and response.

Hello ;
I was recently watching your episode”Great lakes salmon and trout” This episode featured Fishing guide Aldo.

The purpose of this email is to express my concerns of your horrible catch and release techniques. As an educational sport fishing show I would expect a much better example to be presented . Mortality rates on fish that are released properly is approximately 15%.. I would suggest that your poor practices of netting, tossing on floor and handling with fingers in gill area would raise that number by a fair chunk.

As an avid fisherman myself I believe you can and should do better.

Response:

Hi Ray,

Thank you for sending us your concern & constructive criticism from watching the Great Lake Salmon & Trout trolling episode I shot with Aldo Nava, it's appreciated. I agree with you that we did not show the "best" catch & release practices during that episode. To do that, the boat would have had to be slowed down, the fish fought out so it could be managed while remaining in the water and the hook only grabbed with pliers, the fish un-hooked letting swim away without being netted or handled. Unfortunately when a boat is trolling at 2.5-3mph with waves and having multiple lines trolling off downriggers and diving devices this is very difficult. Also when you consider that viewers want to "see" the fish at least briefly, it's tough to do when a fish is not very visible in the water when removing a hook boat-side. I try my best to promote catch & release when indeed fish are released and when fish are kept for eating, we either keep fish in the live well, or dispose of their life in a humane way and ice them. If you have seen tributary shows, especially in BC where we use single barbless hook, we do net fish like salmon & steelhead but keep them in the water, un-hook them and let them swim away. Any full body shots are done very quickly with the fish just lifted for a few seconds horizontally out of the water and released asap.

God bless you,
Italo

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2019 5:20 PM
To: CSF Info <info@canadian-sportfishing.com>
Subject: Release technique

And there you have it.

Last edited:
That was the episode Jencourt. Good on you for writing in. What a bunch of B/S that response is. Sheesh.

Was this the episode he fished with “Alda Nava” in a 17’ aluminium “Great Lakes salmon and trout” ??

If so here is a little correspondence I had with him.

The email and response.

Hello ;
I was recently watching your episode”Great lakes salmon and trout” This episode featured Fishing guide Aldo.

The purpose of this email is to express my concerns of your horrible catch and release techniques. As an educational sport fishing show I would expect a much better example to be presented . Mortality rates on fish that are released properly is approximately 15%.. I would suggest that your poor practices of netting, tossing on floor and handling with fingers in gill area would raise that number by a fair chunk.

As an avid fisherman myself I believe you can and should do better.

Response:

Hi Ray,

Thank you for sending us your concern & constructive criticism from watching the Great Lake Salmon & Trout trolling episode I shot with Aldo Nava, it's appreciated. I agree with you that we did not show the "best" catch & release practices during that episode. To do that, the boat would have had to be slowed down, the fish fought out so it could be managed while remaining in the water and the hook only grabbed with pliers, the fish un-hooked letting swim away without being netted or handled. Unfortunately when a boat is trolling at 2.5-3mph with waves and having multiple lines trolling off downriggers and diving devices this is very difficult. Also when you consider that viewers want to "see" the fish at least briefly, it's tough to do when a fish is not very visible in the water when removing a hook boat-side. I try my best to promote catch & release when indeed fish are released and when fish are kept for eating, we either keep fish in the live well, or dispose of their life in a humane way and ice them. If you have seen tributary shows, especially in BC where we use single barbless hook, we do net fish like salmon & steelhead but keep them in the water, un-hook them and let them swim away. Any full body shots are done very quickly with the fish just lifted for a few seconds horizontally out of the water and released asap.

God bless you,
Italo

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2019 5:20 PM
To: CSF Info <info@canadian-sportfishing.com>
Subject: Release technique

And there you have it.

Saw that episode. Hands right in gills of Chinook. Fish like lake trout and pike can handle that. Salmon can’t. Gill grabbing is an auto kill for salmon. They can handle some stuff but certainly not what he does

No fish that are gill raped and released have a good chance of surviving. Keen em wet

Biggest fishing show idiots, in order:

Italo
Henry
2 Men and their fishing rods
Bill Dance
Mike Iaconnyelli
Paul Hebert (Wicked Tuna)

But hey most have have managed to make a career out of it. Why Rapala and other companies continue to sponsor Italo is beyond me. I gotta give Henry some credit though, he fishes some pretty awesome tropical destinations and is sorta, sometimes, maybe, getting a bit better.

Biggest fishing show idiots, in order:

Italo
Henry
2 Men and their fishing rods
Bill Dance
Mike Iaconnyelli
Paul Hebert (Wicked Tuna)

But hey most have have managed to make a career out of it. Why Rapala and other companies continue to sponsor Italo is beyond me. I gotta give Henry some credit though, he fishes some pretty awesome tropical destinations and is sorta, sometimes, maybe, getting a bit better.
This is awesome.

I have to add nice fish jr to the list. The kids doing their own coho fishing was a travesty. All the fish were netted into the boat where they were flopping around until bleeding badly then picked up with bare dry hands and flung back into the water. But it’s okay, cause they’re just kids. Right?
Probably lost a half dozen wild coho that day

Back