ISO: Off-Road / Ruggedized Tent Trailer

Franko Manini

Folks,

I'm looking to do some dry camping this fall and I'm searching for a tent trailer. I don't want one of those pavement princess models with the 12" tires that look like they belong in the display case at Timmy's. I'm looking for one of the models that is lifted and has 15" mudders. The models I know of that are like this (in order of preference) include:

Starcraft 11 or 12 RT (RT designates the off road version)
Starcraft Comet 11 or 12 RT
Jayco Baja
Coleman/Fleetwood E2
Coachman V-Trek (several models, Clipper, Viking)
Palomino Banshee E2
Flagstaff Toy Hauler
Rockwood Freedom (certain models)

These trailers often have decks on the front (hitch end) where you can load a quad, motorbikes, kids bikes, etc. For me, I would add my inflatable boat and motor here. Because of this, some people refer to these as "toy haulers".

I'm looking for a good clean trailer with 3-way fridge, cassette toilet, stove, shower (indoor or outdoor), hot water heater, sleeping for 4-6.

I have cash, I'm in Victoria, but if there is good fishing or hunting near you, I could make it a bit of a trip and come and get the right rig. Let me know whatcha got!

2011_Coachmen_ClipperV-Trec.jpg2016_Starcraft_Comet_RT.jpgdownload (1).jpgdownload.jpgimages (1).jpgimages.jpgmod12275.jpg

Last edited:
My nephew has that I'm pretty sure is for sale. Not sure of condition but am seeing him for dinner tonight. I'll ask

get a reasonably nice trailer and put some heavier axles and tires on it.

get a reasonably nice trailer and put some heavier axles and tires on it.
Yup - that’s my Plan B. Beef up the axles, do an over/under axle flip, add some shocks, 15” rims and tires.

There are other concerns too though... such as increasin* the travel of the stabilizer jacks after a 6” lift.

Back