Islander MR3 Locking Up Intermitently

LastTurn

One of my MR3's started locking up intermittently earlier in the season. It Intermittently locks and won't reverse. Sometimes I can rattle the reel and it will function properly. After a guest in my boat over at Nootka had it lock up and lost a nice spring I took it into a dealer.

The dealer had the teenager working in the shop replace the drag knob and spring. ($45) I was skeptical asI could see nothing wrong with either.

Back out to Nootka for a second trip and the reel locks up again! More lost fish!

I've had the reel 6 years, kept it clean and serviced as per Islander's instructions. It's never been abused. Neither the kid at the dealer or myself could find anything worn or wrong inside the reel.

Anyone ever experienced this with an MR3 or have any suggestions?

LastTurn

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they inspect the center bearing? As you reel in the drag assembly spins with the spool. As line is taken out the drag assembly is held in place by the clicker pawls, and the spool spins on the bearing. Might be worth a look.

Did they inspect the center bearing? As you reel in the drag assembly spins with the spool. As line is taken out the drag assembly is held in place by the clicker pawls, and the spool spins on the bearing. Might be worth a look.

Yep, checked the bearing, all was ok.

The lock ups always happen with the drag backed off, winding line in (and usually, but not always with a fish on).

Send it back to Islander . They are the experts, not just some kid working part time

Yes happens to my MR'2s and La4s

Back