Islander MR3 drag

You have to back it off a bit when setting gear so it doesn’t pull out of the clip on the drop. A little bump of the thumb and it goes full free spool. That’s annoying. Then a quarter turn or less when the gear is down sets the drag so it doesn’t creep while trolling, but at that setting it is way too tight to fight a fish. With a fish on I try to back it off a little bit but it is so touchy that a little bump of the knob and it is way to loose and I have to fiddle with it to get it right. I had a single action rookie out last weekend and he lost three in a row on that reel.

I don’t like the round knob on the Amundsen but finding the right adjustment is more predictable and it doesn’t need to be set as tight to avoid creeping. I had an abu Garcia diplomat mooching reel and the drag on that was perfect but the clutch was made out of soft aluminum so the clicker and anti reverse pawls beat it to pieces. I finally got them to warranty exchange it for a different reel after I replaced the clutch and bearings once. Maybe I expect too much out of an expensive r

Interesting. I've never struggled with it that way.
I took the reel apart and checked everything again. I don't see any problems. I fished with it another three days. Caught a few more fish. I've fished with this reel about six days total now. I have caught around 20 fish on it and I am not enjoying it. I called Islander and explained my problems and the guy said it sounds like exactly what people want - a micro adjustment. I have used other islanders and I do not remember them being like this. I'm talking less than a 1/4 turn from too tight to free spooling line. The guy at islander was just like - you will get used to it. He said that if I don't like they hold their value well for resale. Definitely not happy with the interaction.

When I'm setting gear with a slight bit of drag sometimes the reel makes an odd humming noise and a couple times there was a squeal. The drag has to be so tight to prevent line creep that trying to lower the downrigger any more will pop it out of a brand new scotty clip on the tight setting. Trying to loosen the drag before letting more line out takes about 1/8 of a turn of the drag knob. Any more than that and it goes to freespool. When a fish is hooked and I need to back the drag off (because it must be set so tight in the downrigger to prevent line creep), I actually have to look at the drag knob while I adjust it because it is such a micro adjustment. It can't be done by feel.

Whatever. I'm stopping by the tackle shop today to see if I can return it. Ordering an amundsen.

I took the reel apart and checked everything again. I don't see any problems. I fished with it another three days. Caught a few more fish. I've fished with this reel about six days total now. I have caught around 20 fish on it and I am not enjoying it. I called Islander and explained my problems and the guy said it sounds like exactly what people want - a micro adjustment. I have used other islanders and I do not remember them being like this. I'm talking less than a 1/4 turn from too tight to free spooling line. The guy at islander was just like - you will get used to it. He said that if I don't like they hold their value well for resale. Definitely not happy with the interaction.

When I'm setting gear with a slight bit of drag sometimes the reel makes an odd humming noise and a couple times there was a squeal. The drag has to be so tight to prevent line creep that trying to lower the downrigger any more will pop it out of a brand new scotty clip on the tight setting. Trying to loosen the drag before letting more line out takes about 1/8 of a turn of the drag knob. Any more than that and it goes to freespool. When a fish is hooked and I need to back the drag off (because it must be set so tight in the downrigger to prevent line creep), I actually have to look at the drag knob while I adjust it because it is such a micro adjustment. It can't be done by feel.

Whatever. I'm stopping by the tackle shop today to see if I can return it. Ordering an amundsen.
That's definitely not sounding right. Definitely get it checked out by a shop or send it back to Islander for a service.

Get an mr2la

is the washer there on top of the spring? I’ve got two mr3’s and this sounds like something is missing.

My trophy reel was like this where a small adjustment would go loose free spool or vice versa, super locked in. Bought an islander spring for $15 and got rid of the chicken **** trophy spring and now it’s fantastic.

is the washer there on top of the spring? I’ve got two mr3’s and this sounds like something is missing.

My trophy reel was like this where a small adjustment would go loose free spool or vice versa, super locked in. Bought an islander spring for $15 and got rid of the chicken **** trophy spring and now it’s fantastic.
Yes. The washer is there.

I would send it to islander, but they didn't even offer to check it out. Just said it sounded fine to them.
That's BS you should try and talk with someone else and get the name of who you are talking to.
My MR3s are older but require multiple turns to turn down or increase the drag. If what your describe is how the new Islanders work I wouldn't buy another.

I don't have an Islander MR3, but I had a different brand of reel with a cork drag that had the same problem. I eventually found the solution on Islander's website, under Product Support, where there's an MR3 manual. That manual says this:
"Wipe cork surface to
remove excess oil and graphite. Apply
a small amount of oil and powdered
graphite to the cork surface and work
it in with your finger."

Doing this fixed the drag on my reel. I use the oil that comes in the Islander maintenance kit, here:
It's the same kit as in reply #5 on page one.
That kit doesn't come with powdered graphite, but you can buy that at locksmiths or a decent hardware store. I found that a dash of graphite greatly improves the drag performance, compared to just oil.

Last edited:
The following video on Islander's site doesn't mention what the manual said about working the oil into the cork, nor does is mention using graphite as well. In my experience, the manual's advice is better.

By the way, if properly oiling the cork drag surface doesn't help, I'd try greasing both sides of the washer that's between the drag knob and the spring.

My MR3 and MR2LA creep slightly, just give it a few turns every once and a while if I feel its creeped to much. Don't have an issue with drag sensitivity. I recently purchased a TR3 and was blown away, worth the extra money IMO. No line creep and will never free spool. Got lucky bought it off a lady that won it as a prize for a lot less then new.

Islander is good to deal with as far as warranty goes, surprised to hear them talk that way to you. I'd just send it to them.

I went to the shop where I bought it. They don’t know anything about servicing the reel. We compared it to another one that they had spooled up and there was a noticeable difference in feel and sound when line is yanked off the reel. They said call Islander, which I have already done. Guess I’m on my own.

I went to the shop where I bought it. They don’t know anything about servicing the reel. We compared it to another one that they had spooled up and there was a noticeable difference in feel and sound when line is yanked off the reel. They said call Islander, which I have already done. Guess I’m on my own.
You’re turning this into a drama fest now. My goodness, ask for an over-the-counter replacement or go to Islander directly and get this taken care of.

You’re turning this into a drama fest now. My goodness, ask for an over-the-counter replacement or go to Islander directly and get this taken care of.
This.
I've used MR3's (4 of them) exclusively for 10 years and never had an issue like this. That's one of the things i love about them, the drag isn't super sensitive.

Yes. The washer is there.
I would call Islander again and simply tell them something is wrong and cannot be trouble shot over the phone as you have already tried. Have it sent back and checked out. Their reel repair guys are pros and will be able to find out what is wrong. Guy you spoke to was probably just having a bad day when he talked to you, maybe his dog died or gf dumped him lol.

Back