Islander Counterfeit Reels?

tightlines

Just wondering if anyone has any insight into this. I've seen the same ad posted on Facebook marketplace over the last 3-4 years and it's always the same. 4 brand new MR3's, around fair market value, green towel in the ad. The price always seems really fair and they look real. But why would someone have 4 untouched MR3's in brand new condition. I could see that happening once, but I've seen the same or similar ad a few times and occurs fairly frequently. Are there fake Islanders floating around? I guess it could be a lodge getting rid of stock....

Wouldn't be hard I guess to copy a reel. China has been doing with golf clubs forever.

Any insight?

Sounds scamming. Probably asking people to put down a deposit. Shoot him a message and see what he says.

We were with a guide this summer at Nootka and he was telling us he sells his TR3's after every season and buys new ones. He knocks them down a few hundred dollars. Might be the same case with the ones you have seen.

We were with a guide this summer at Nootka and he was telling us he sells his TR3's after every season and buys new ones. He knocks them down a few hundred dollars. Might be the same case with the ones you have seen.
Makes sense especially if guides get a decent discount when they buy them new.

This is probably a similar situation I would guess. The ad is gone as the reels sold already.

Out of curiosity I did google search Islander reels China and this popped up:

Probably a bigger market for fly reels......

Unless they are pro staff the discount isn’t awesome IMO
Interesting. I’d have thought they would get a good discount as well as be able to write them off like tools for tax purposes. I have no idea how it works though.

Watch out for knock-off Daiwa reels as well. All sorts of positive recommendations for DIWA reels. Guess they were hoping that we wouldnt see the different spelling

Au Contra
Can you get much cheaper than a Diawa reel
Au Contraire----https://www.expensive-world.com/most-expensive-fishing-reels/ ...Daiwa makes different grades of reels for anglers . Usually not fancy... but built to catch fish. For many years when I was church mouse poor, my go-to steelhead baitcaster was a Daiwa Procaster Magforce PMA35S. It brought a LOT of steelhead to the beach. And the line of Daiwa mooching reels are know for being indestructible. Thousands are still in use because they will catch as many springs as an Islander.

Au Contra

Au Contraire----https://www.expensive-world.com/most-expensive-fishing-reels/ ...Daiwa makes different grades of reels for anglers . Usually not fancy... but built to catch fish. For many years when I was church mouse poor, my go-to steelhead baitcaster was a Daiwa Procaster Magforce PMA35S. It brought a LOT of steelhead to the beach. And the line of Daiwa mooching reels are know for being indestructible. Thousands are still in use because they will catch as many springs as an Islander.
I suppose I can’t paint all Daiwa reels with the same brush. But I was referring to
Their mooching reel. Couldn’t pay me to use those things. Personal preference. You can finish the Indy 500 with a Datsun, but you don’t see too many of them going around.

Last edited:
I suppose I can’t paint all Daiwa reels with the same brush. But I was referring to
Their mooching reel. Couldn’t pay me to use those things. Personal preference. You can finish the Indy 500 with a Datsun, but you don’t see too many of them going around.
I would take my gold Daiwa M-One over an Islander MR3 any day! about a fifth of the cost and absolutely no line creep issues. Ive been using it for over 10 years with no maintenance other than a rinse when i get home and it still operates flawlessly.

I would take my gold Daiwa M-One over an Islander MR3 any day! about a fifth of the cost and absolutely no line creep issues. Ive been using it for over 10 years with no maintenance other than a rinse when i get home and it still operates flawlessly.
Glad you found a setup that works for you.

my backup for my MR3; my so called “ good reel” is a Diawa M-One. it has had to finish up many, many a trip for me while my MR3 sat in shame in the cuddy.

Back