Is Vancouver Island Facing Food And Water Shortages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derby

Crew Member
Press Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE February 4, 2014

Is Vancouver Island Facing Food and Water Shortages?
'Three Sisters' Initiative Addresses Critical Sustainability Questions

CEDAR - With the Pacific west coast in the midst of one of its driest winters three Vancouver Island organizations are taking positive proactive steps to help ensure the Island is prepared should there be food or water shortages this summer.

"We're concerned that California has just declared a drought emergency," notes Gillian Butler, a Director of the Vancouver Island and Coast Conservation Society, "and that it's so severe the State will not be distributing water to local authorities. We only have to look at Mt Washington's ski closure in the Comox Valley to understand that an unusually low snow-pack indicates the Island may also be facing water challenges this year."

"Along with a need to assess the health and availability of our ground and surface water supplies here on Vancouver Island, there's a need to be certain we are prepared if this dry spell continues," adds Laurie Gourlay, president of VICCS. "There are implications for the Island's food supply as well, especially since we are so dependent on imported products."

Barbara Ebell agrees. Working with VICCS 'Buy Island' campaign Ms Ebell, owner of Nanoose Edibles Farm, made a presentation to the District A Farmers Institutes of BC's Coastal Region in mid-January. "Less than 3% of the $5.4Billion that Vancouver Islanders spend annually on food is Island grown," Ms Ebell stated. "Food security is becoming a serious issue, and if weather conditions change here we may be in trouble."

The need for local governance that will see watersheds protected and sustainability measures addressed are of particular importance on the east coast of Vancouver Island, according to Scott Akenhead, coordinator of the Vancouver Island Province initiative, and chair of VICCS' Island Governance Committee. "We need to coordinate efforts across jurisdictions, and find ways for local Island governments to partner with corporations who own the lands where our drinking water comes from."

With these challenges in mind the Island Roundtable on the Environment and Economy has just been registered as a society. "We will be reaching out this spring to identify business, academic and community leaders in all sectors and across Vancouver Island," states Dorothy Woodhouse, a new IRTEE Director. "We'd like to have a dozen experts working together to assess and advise on our Island's resource and sustainability needs."

Kathy Wachs, a Director of the Chemainus Residents Association, has also joined the Roundtable Board. "Ideally the professionals on the Roundtable will look at the choices we face as an Island, and recommend research and appropriate steps that will help Islanders. We'd like to see the Roundtable addressing immediate needs, along with fostering long-term goals for our growth and prosperity."

VICCS, the IRTEE and VIP initiatives see themselves working for the three-sided coin of sustainable development - the economy, environment and social/cultural development in balance. These 'Three Sisters' will be looking to partner with organizations and institutions across Vancouver Island over the next six months, with the intent of solidifying working relationships for the benefit of all Islanders.
- 30 -

For more information :

Laurie Gourlay,
President, VICCS, (250 722-3444)
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

******** if ever I heard it.
I'd be interested in understanding what part you think is ********?? As a Comox Valley resident, I'm very concerned about the lack of snowpack on our local mountains and the impact that is going to have on our water supply this summer.

Going to pay a lot more for what you do get. Your bank account will starve.

If only 3% of our food is island grown how will a drought here lead to a food shortage? The other 97% of our food supply should keep rolling in.

Water - yes I can see that being an issue and not just for humans here but fish and wildlife as well.

Smolts in the river this spring and mature fish especially early summer fish might struggle. Bring on the rain.

I would be more concerned with what is going on in California. The San Joaquin Valley is the grocery store to North America. I was talking to one of our guys in our Fresno CA office and he was saying they have only had 3/4" of rain since Jul 1. The snowpack in the Sierras is non existant. This could cause these farmers serious problems with water supply for irrigation if the winter storms do not show up.

I agree, MRWood - and I think that was a part of the article some of the folks here missed. A lot of the 97% of the food we Islanders - and mainlanders too for that matter - consume comes from California.
Smolts are starting to suffer now, GDW. I spent a few hours today moving coho smolts stranded in some rapidly drying up back channels into the main stream at Rosewall today.

Rosewall hey bigbruce? Do you think the bottled water factory has anything to do with drying up that aquifer? Oh yeah and the dfo research hatchery with a constant use? The creek below there has been dry most times Ive seen it and its a very big channel.

Sent from my SGH-I717M using Tapatalk

I suppose there could be some impact on the aquifer, Leadline. However I think the fact that it's been so fricking dry and there's not a lot of water coming out of the hills above the water plant and hatchery is having a much larger impact.

Last edited by a moderator:
blame the pipelines. It must be them.
It's not pipelines it's these to suckers...
Bagman and Robem
koch_brothers.jpg

But they would be harmless if it wasn't for these people

head_in_the_sand.jpg

So the question is, are we part of the problem or are we part of the solution...

It's the weather, for crying out loud. No El Nino or La Nina and damned few pineapple express currents this year. It's happened before and will no doubt happen again. In the meantime we have to be prepared and deal with the impacts. Get ready to pay more for produce, save your bathwater for your gardens, drive a dirty car, move little fish out of the back channels into the stream etc...

Rosewall hey bigbruce? Do you think the bottled water factory has anything to do with drying up that aquifer? Oh yeah and the dfo research hatchery with a constant use? The creek below there has been dry most times Ive seen it and its a very big channel.

Sent from my SGH-I717M using Tapatalk
i thought the place below the bottled water factory was a fish farm hatchery ?

There is a fish farm hatchery below the water bottling plant as well as a DFO hatchery and the Fanny Bay Salmon Enhancement Society volunteer run hatchery.

It's the weather, for crying out loud. No El Nino or La Nina and damned few pineapple express currents this year. It's happened before and will no doubt happen again. In the meantime we have to be prepared and deal with the impacts. Get ready to pay more for produce, save your bathwater for your gardens, drive a dirty car, move little fish out of the back channels into the stream etc...

Yes I know it's weather... You can't link a weather event to GW... but you can link the trends..
Oh I have never heard of a fry rescue in the winter... might want to ask Judy if this has ever happened before. It could have because we did have a "no snow" year 5 or 10 years ago but it rained a lot that year.
Have a look at this video.
[XZGsdnYqbjk] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZGsdnYqbjk

Frankly, GLG, I'm not sure our fry rescue was really necessary - particularly as the forecast suggests we're going to get a lot of rain this coming week. We did, however "rescue" a few hundred more of the little ones out of a couple of fairly shallow pools today more out of an abundance of caution and the fact that we had the time and it was a nice day to tramp around outside than anything else.

Thanks bigbruce, still would be interested in if this has every occurred over there.
I have also did a few rescues over the years... but mostly July or August.
As this thread is really more to do about the current weather... not sure if you heard but a storm hit California.
Welcome news that's for sure. Don't know if it's too late for the salmon down there but one could hope.
As for up here and our dry spell I think this video kind of explains why it is happening.

[u7EHvfaY8Zs] http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=u7EHvfaY8Zs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back