Is It Just Me Or Is This Forum Getting Even Better?

How could it not be getting better Stizzla is catching fish!! That and his positive attitude threads mixed with whit and humor makes this forum a treat to be a part of. Thanks to the newbies for asking all my questions and to the long timers for sharing your wisdom and answering them. On the gear issue both Steve and I have only taking up fishing recently so our gear is all new and shiny, I have however managed to slow down while Stizzla cant.
That should get me another ride in his boat so I can play with his new reels and gear. Let's drag that boat to Sooke buddy;-)

I've noticed a lot of new guys coming on board and asking questions. I Lurked for a couple years before I ever joined, I was so nervous to ask a dumb question. Seems like a lot of the trolls have moved on. Still the inevitable conservation debates but I think that's healthy. Thoughts?

Everyone is just being nice to you because they want your fried chicken ... it’s a forum wide conspiracy

When I was a kid in my early twenties, I worked for a national retail company who sold fishing tackle as part of their retail offering. I set up a mini trade show on a three day weekend. I organized and produced the entire show...I booked most of the BC greats to attend demonstrate, display and talk about their products. Tom Davis of Rhys Davis Teaser lures was one of the tackle Greats that participated in the three day event. At one point we found ourselves in conversation about technique and timing ect. I asked Tom what was his favorite color of teaser head...(keep in mind, back then he was producing 5 colors total) he promptly replied that his all time most successful color was clear and his second was green. Both were the see through style. I asked why, and he stated that it was the one that offered the most natural look.

Now, fast forward about twenty years and I caught up with Tom at a trade show in his display booth. I had not seen Tom for years, so it was a fun catch up type dialog while we developed a seasonal order for the company I worked for...I asked Tom if he remembered the mini trade show and our conversation about colors, he promptly said yes. I immediately asked which color is now his favorite out of the hundred or so he was producing - he looked me in the eye leaned forward and said with a chuckle in his voice as he spoke, "Whichever one is selling the most!". We both laughed and kidded for a few seconds and then he stated that clear was still one of his go to's. :)

I am not a bait guy...:)
I’m going to have to kind of agree with this. My most successful teaser head is a JDF black and chrome. It out fishes everything else I have 5 to 1. You’re trying to replicate natural feed for salmon and are using a herring or anchovy in a teaser head only to give it the proper action . Why do you need all those other colours which don’t exist on a real herring or anchovy. If you’re cut plugging up at Haida Gwaii you don’t need any other colours attached to it just a simple herring and it catches fish.
It’s not like the salmon are saying man if only there were some herring with rainbow heads around here. Those would taste sooo good!

When I was a kid in my early twenties, I worked for a national retail company who sold fishing tackle as part of their retail offering. I set up a mini trade show on a three day weekend. I organized and produced the entire show...I booked most of the BC greats to attend demonstrate, display and talk about their products. Tom Davis of Rhys Davis Teaser lures was one of the tackle Greats that participated in the three day event. At one point we found ourselves in conversation about technique and timing ect. I asked Tom what was his favorite color of teaser head...(keep in mind, back then he was producing 5 colors total) he promptly replied that his all time most successful color was clear and his second was green. Both were the see through style. I asked why, and he stated that it was the one that offered the most natural look.

Now, fast forward about twenty years and I caught up with Tom at a trade show in his display booth. I had not seen Tom for years, so it was a fun catch up type dialog while we developed a seasonal order for the company I worked for...I asked Tom if he remembered the mini trade show and our conversation about colors, he promptly said yes. I immediately asked which color is now his favorite out of the hundred or so he was producing - he looked me in the eye leaned forward and said with a chuckle in his voice as he spoke, "Whichever one is selling the most!". We both laughed and kidded for a few seconds and then he stated that clear was still one of his go to's. :)

I am not a bait guy...:)

I guided Tom and 3 of his friends on a 1/2 day a years ago. Had a similar conversation. That trip was memorable....we hooked 3 fish that morning in 5 hours among 60 boats....no one else boated any fish that morning that anyone saw. We had a bump and run.... came off. We then hooked a tank which ripped 1/4 reel of line off, then Ripped off 1/2 reel... the broke off, then got one that really counted... a 42 pounder. I recall letting out a whoop when I put it in the net and a couple of fist pumps when I swung the full net over the stern and the fish hit the floor. His comment? “You know it’s a good one when the guide gets excited!” Hahaha!

I remember him commenting the same about teaser colours... he mentioned Chartreuse and clear... I recall apologizing to him that morning as I was fishing Krippled Heads because I got them for .25 a head in a great big bag... I didn’t have any Rhys Davis on the boat....... he said “I don’t give a sh*t, it all works.... Jimmy’s too!”

A few good stories that morning on board!

Stizz, you need army truck. I dont know why but it was the best for me 2018. Didnt matter what side of the boat... worst part is I only had one & after a couple dozen springs it met its match... I knew I should ha e changed the leader but the bite was one....

Don’t forget October 2017 when Stizzla joined. Lots of great stuff from these new guys. :);):D:rolleyes:

Oly

Never heard of him
Stizz, you need army truck. I dont know why but it was the best for me 2018. Didnt matter what side of the boat... worst part is I only had one & after a couple dozen springs it met its match... I knew I should ha e changed the leader but the bite was one....

Army Truck in Chrome and Glow and sell the rest! Lol

I creeped this site on and off for a long long time. I was always interested in how and what guys where doing but just found ALOT of negative posts or replies took away from those seeking advice or trying to reach out. I recently just started checking out the forum again and decided to join. I do have to say a few members new and old are what have made this forum great. I grew up fishing cut plug behind deep sixes and mooching weights in CR and honestly never fished anchovies until I moved to Vic in 2002. This site helped me learn where and how to fish areas that where new to me and I always felt I should have joined sooner.

Back