Is anyone running JRC1500 radar system?

NOOTKA BOUND

I was given a brand new in the box JRC1500 MKii radar system. Pretty sure it was from early 2000s. I have a 24' northwest aluminum craft with a simrad head unit. I was wondering if any if you are running this JRC radar setup and how you like it. I am not sure if I want to drill holes and use this old system or just cough up some coin and get the simrad halo 24 and overlay it on my chartplotter. I was hoping to get some feedback from those who are using it. If I don't use it I will be posting it for sale. Pic of my vessel for attention 20210724_142447.jpg

I was given a brand new in the box JRC1500 MKii radar system. Pretty sure it was from early 2000s. I have a 24' northwest aluminum craft with a simrad head unit. I was wondering if any if you are running this JRC radar setup and how you like it. I am not sure if I want to drill holes and use this old system or just cough up some coin and get the simrad halo 24 and overlay it on my chartplotter. I was hoping to get some feedback from those who are using it. If I don't use it I will be posting it for sale. Pic of my vessel for attention View attachment 73230
I was given a brand new in the box JRC1500 MKii radar system. Pretty sure it was from early 2000s. I have a 24' northwest aluminum craft with a simrad head unit. I was wondering if any if you are running this JRC radar setup and how you like it. I am not sure if I want to drill holes and use this old system or just cough up some coin and get the simrad halo 24 and overlay it on my chartplotter. I was hoping to get some feedback from those who are using it. If I don't use it I will be posting it for sale. Pic of my vessel for attention View attachment 73230
I have that unit. Installed it last year and played with it while fishing this summer. Had it set up so it would show kayaks when it was calm. Still learning. Tried to use it in the dark this October coming from my cabin when the fog hit. Had to rely on my GPS. My own fault. Had my glasses packed away and had the range set wrong. My fault not the radar. Pretty small menu for me without glasses. Lesson learned. Like the alarm set up for others approaching. For what I paid I’m happy. Good luck.

I bought the 1200 10 years ago. It will pick up logs on the water ... calm water. Never a glitch. I am on the water year round and I gotta tell you radar is a must because you never know when fog arrives...or get delayed at night and often if I am busy I set the alarm on to warn if anything out there... cheers...

I’ve been running one of those for 20 years and it’s works pretty good. I’m not saying it’s in the same class ax the new ones but if you know how to tune it and adjust the range to suit your situation you’re Golden

I’ve been running one of those for 20 years and it’s works pretty good. I’m not saying it’s in the same class ax the new ones but if you know how to tune it and adjust the range to suit your situation you’re Golden
30 for me now and I tell EVERYONE run it during nice sunny days not just when its foggy, always good to practice and fine tune it as you can see things then see them on the radar look for logs etc and another tip. Just use 1/4 of a mile or 1/2 mile while running in shore as you want to see what really close to you me personally I dont care about a boat that 5 miles away..
Have fun once you use it alot its like your GPS comes second nature

dont bother with halo the gen 3/4 is up to the job and save you some funds

30 for me now and I tell EVERYONE run it during nice sunny days not just when its foggy, always good to practice and fine tune it as you can see things then see them on the radar look for logs etc and another tip. Just use 1/4 of a mile or 1/2 mile while running in shore as you want to see what really close to you me personally I dont care about a boat that 5 miles away..
Have fun once you use it alot its like your GPS comes second nature
Great advice about practicing when you don’t need it and the ranges.

if I’m way offshore I run the ship finder app on my phone so I can avoid freighters and tugs with tow

Are you going to sell that JRC now that you’re going someday?

Overlay is a gamechanger.

I’ve pretty much just did the same thing last year but with a Garman phantom which is a similar radar. Chart overlay is such a game changer. Fishing in the fog in tight quarters. It tells me
The other boats speed Direction of travel and an estimated time that our paths will cross. To me that’s worth every penny

Ran one for years great unit, did what it was supposed to do, if you tuned them right they work great

Have also ran one for years, and I am a fan of Japan Radio Corporation, which builds a lot of commercial ship radars. Well-built and reliable and is stand alone with its own screen so if your main chart plotter screen were to go down, you don't lose your radar as well. On a glass flat day at close range, it can pick up a bird sitting on the water.

Have also ran one for years, and I am a fan of Japan Radio Corporation, which builds a lot of commercial ship radars. Well-built and reliable and is stand alone with its own screen so if your main chart plotter screen were to go down, you don't lose your radar as well. On a glass flat day at close range, it can pick up a bird sitting on the water.
Funny you would say that lol, I made several offshore return trips using my JRC,would loose signal on gps in dense fog with my old Lawrence gps with external antena

Back