iPad with Navionics or Chip for Lowrance

Sangstercraft

I have a Lowrance hds5, but it doesn't have the chart chip installed. If like to be able to see the chart as well as the depth sounder display when trolling and be able to tag where I see bait balls so I can turn around and hit the same spot. I could get the navionics chip for my Lowrance or I could get an iPad with the navionics app on it. The nice thing about the iPad is the huge display size, and I can leave the Lowrance on depth sounder mode full screen (rather than split screen, half chart half fish finder). Any reason why I shouldn't go with the iPad for the chart and then leave the Lowrance on fish finder screen?

iPads aren't designed for marine applications, so you'd want to ensure it's well protected. Also, I expect you're going to have a glare issue on the screen. Other than that, the Navionics app is pretty slick.

I think the iPad can probably handle the glare (iPhone can). Marking waypoints isn't as smooth on the app IMO and you won't be able to scroll back on your sounder and mark fish/bait you already passed over which is another drawback.

However app is way cheaper then the chip, you'd have an iPod for other things if u don't already own one and like you said two screens are nice. I'd be tempted to go the iPad app rout. I have an hds7 with chip currently.

When I'm off the west coast, not too far offshore (few miles out past Broken Islands), the GPS on my iPhone stops showing my tracks reliably. Sometimes it just seems to stop updating my location, and I think it's because of the way it receives the GPS. Apparently an external receiver does a better job of tracking your spot: http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/16597

Anyone else have problems with their Navionics app not updating your location when in remote places?

I have the I pad with 3G I lost signal in oak bay before a few times and once in renfrew would defiantly recommend a external gps,it's a good thing I have radar I thought I was heading in to renfrew in the fog and it turned out I was heading out and straight for for rocks too,turned in the radar and got back in ok,it's only happened a few times but I ended up getting a external gps

NOTE: I am completely biased because the only thing I have is an Ipad for navigation.

As long as you can keep it dry and have a good power supply to keep it charged, then running it with full brightness, there should not be a problem that way. I have never actually had the GPS drop ever and have used it all from Victoria up to Carmanah, offshore/inshore Nootka, Hesquiet, ECVI to Sunshine Coast. Much of the west coast that I have covered is far from cell service and have never had an issue.

That sounds like a pretty scary GPS drop that Fishtank expereinced....yikes.

If anyone is wondering if it is worth upgrading from navionics to navionics+ for ipad or iphone......it is pretty next level and money well spent in my eyes. At $50 extra for the ipad it is not cheap...but pretty amazing detail that you get.

Interesting I have Navionics+ on my iPhone and when I synced with my iPad through my macbook, the Navionics + showed up on the iPad as well. It appears to work just as well on the iPad as the iPhone - and I didn't have to pay the extra $ for the app on the iPad.

I have both the Navionics App on an iPad and a chip in my Lowrance. Hands down I find the Lowrance to be much more reliable, easier to see and operate while driving the boat. Nothing worse than trying to zoom in/out while bouncing over the swells, in the fog, worried about how far you are from the rocks. Trying to pinch an iPad just doesn't work with lumpy seas and wet hands.

But, as a second unit I think they are a great option. Personally, I just wouldn't be comfortable relying on the device as my primary.

I have an Ipad with Navionics and a Lowrance HDS8. I have a fully enclosed cabin boat (C-Dory Tomcat) so the ipad never sees the outside weather. I've used it from 30 miles S of Neah Bay to 80 miles W and as far north as Tofino. I've never lost GPS on the I-pad. I frequently use it as you discuss - full screen sounder on the Lowrance and the iPad for GPS when trolling or drifting. If I want to mark a point on the sounder, I still can, I just have to flip the lowrance screen to the GPS to see that spot. As others have said, the advantage of the iPad is that you get other features with it in addition to the nav program. I use it to feed tunes to the stereo, to surf the net when I'm in wireless range etc. As long as you buy the phone network enabled iPad, there's no need (IMHO) for an external GPS receiver. NOTE: You don't need to have wireless service for the iPad to work as a nav app but you need the wireless service capability to get the built in GPS receiver. Also, you need to download all the maps for the regions you're interested in prior to using it.

I also use the iPad in conjunction with my HDS when navigating. I leave one on a fairly zoomed out screen so I can see the overall heading and plan my route around islands etc. I have the other zoomed in to see rocks and other obstacles near me.

Hi, does any one have input as to water resistant cases and mounts for I pads, boating use?. I would like to use a Ram style mnt, mounted overhead, it could be rail or screw mounted. Thanks.

Hi, does any one have input as to water resistant cases and mounts for I pads, boating use?. I would like to use a Ram style mnt, mounted overhead, it could be rail or screw mounted. Thanks.

Try Google.....looked at some great mounts cases last fall when searching for my Dad's tablet. Lots with great reviews, all depending what works best for you and your setup.

Your right, there is a lot to choose from, just thought I would see if any one here was using a case to mount a iPad in the cockpit area.
Regards.

A Belkin case with the proper Ram mount will work but its not waterproof. Personally I wouldn't put my Ipad out in the cockpit. Screen glare will drive you nuts and you will need to have the brightness turned all the way up so the battery will die.
Have you considered a second HDS5 Gen 2 without transducer and have side by side screens? Between the sale pricing and rebate compared to the case,mount and app it might be more bang for your buck. Then again it's easy to spend your bucks!

Hi, I have Furuno for my main, was looking at a second stand a lone fish finder, plotter for the cockpit area, just thought I would explore the iPad route, probably will use it for a back up system in the cabin.
Regards

Back