INVERTERS..... WHY?

Sharphooks

I have a pre-owned boat with way more bells and whistles then I’ll ever use. But I’d like to understand why some of this stuff is there and how to use it. One of those things is an inverter. I have no appliances or laptop chargers I want to operate on the boat. I only use shore-power to top off the batteries.....taking these requirements (or lack of requirements) into account, why is it recommended to always leave the inverter switch “on”?

And last question, do all inverters have a battery to store the AC charge or is that a special install?

I have a pre-owned boat with way more bells and whistles then I’ll ever use. But I’d like to understand why some of this stuff is there and how to use it. One of those things is an inverter. I have no appliances or laptop chargers I want to operate on the boat. I only use shore-power to top off the batteries.....taking these requirements (or lack of requirements) into account, why is it recommended to always leave the inverter switch “on”?

And last question, do all inverters have a battery to store the AC charge or is that a special install?
Never ear that, and the inverter does not store ac power, it converts it when needed, I’ve got one in my truck, it’s been there for years, only turn it on when I need ac power, it is hooked up to a separate batery in my box, with a small solar panel to keep it top up,

Inverters are handy for things like electric kettles, laptops, small household tools and appliances.

No such thing as storing alternating current

Ya - both batteries and capacitors can store charge - batteries considerably more than capacitors. Not only do we occasionally need AC for various appliances and the small AC chargers for our portable electronics - but there is considerable power loss in the wiring transporting DC power as the distances increase in the larger vessels.

As mentioned inverters "invert" DC to AC typically - higher end ones can go the other way - typically called chargers. One sees that on the better light plants and on the inverters wired to charge the DC batteries from AC shore power.

That's why one should leave that switch on - to keep charging the batteries continuously. That is particularity important if the boat is left for longer periods of time - especially during the rainy season. Your bilge pump runs off your batteries and can kill your batteries if not being recharged. That's also why it is a good idea to have 2 batteries - 1 for engine starting only - the other for the bilge pump - with a switch to switch batteries if need be.

I have a small 400w one for charging a portable lithium hand held vacuum and powering my TV. I leave it off until needed.

Do you know what brand and model you have? There are chargers, Inverters, and combo charger/inverters.
I have the combo Xantrex charger/inverter on my boat and it charges the house batteries. I have a seperate charger only for start batteries.
When plugged into shore power there are breakers for both that I turn on to keep the batteries up. When off shore power the breakers are off as the batteries are charged by the engines. I leave the inverter switch off unless I need the microwave, charge a laptop or phone. I have 12 volt phone chargers too. Once I use those AC devices I turn the inverter off again. Even without an AC appliance connected the Inverter will drain batteries so it should be switched off. If you are never using AC appliances you can leave it off all the time.
Just make sure you are not turning off the battery charger.

And Thunders post reminded me to caution about watching your power drain (watts and/or KW/hrs) for your batteries/charging system; and current draw thru the wires and what your system/wires are rated for. And watts and current are also related (Ohm's Law, P = V*I).

If you are rewiring and/or adding components - esp high current/power appliances (e.g. radar, speakers, etc) ensure your charging system & wiring system can handle it.

Do you know what brand and model you have? There are chargers, Inverters, and combo charger/inverters.
I have the combo Xantrex charger/inverter on my boat and it charges the house batteries. I have a seperate charger only for start batteries.
When plugged into shore power there are breakers for both that I turn on to keep the batteries up. When off shore power the breakers are off as the batteries are charged by the engines. I leave the inverter switch off unless I need the microwave, charge a laptop or phone. I have 12 volt phone chargers too. Once I use those AC devices I turn the inverter off again. Even without an AC appliance connected the Inverter will drain batteries so it should be switched off. If you are never using AC appliances you can leave it off all the time.
Just make sure you are not turning off the battery charger.
What breakers do you use for the chargers? The main engine breakers in the panel or some other battery switch? My system is messed up. If I switch my inverter on I have to turn my start charger off on the main panel because my inverter just juices my entire house panel (as though I'm connected to shore power). As far as I can tell, I can only turn my main magna charger/inverter off at the magna panel. I've never tried to shut the whole thing down. I've recently realized that for some reason my AC/DC fridge was only connected to AC power so wasn't working unless my inverter was on. So now I'm constantly playing the Inverter on/off and charger on/off game. It all seems pretty silly.

Ac breakers should be individual along side a transfer switch. Shore power comes into the transfer switch, inverter power comes into the transfer switch, output of the switch goes to the AC breaker panel. Can switch to shore power/off/inverter. Then turn on or off AC breakers to choose which device you want to send power to while either on shore or inverter power

Ac breakers should be individual along side a transfer switch. Shore power comes into the transfer switch, inverter power comes into the transfer switch, output of the switch goes to the AC breaker panel. Can switch to shore power/off/inverter. Then turn on or off AC breakers to choose which device you want to send power to while either on shore or inverter power
There's no switch to choose what the source is on in my system. Not sure how that works, maybe just the magna charger sorts itself out?

There's no switch to choose what the source is on in my system. Not sure how that works, maybe just the magna charger sorts itself out?
On my Commander only certain circuits are energized when on inverter. Cabin outlets, engine room outlet, and Microwave.
Its wired that way behind the panel. No intervention required

They are for 2 source AC power systems. makes things really easy.

Some inverter chargers may have an auto feature. When it sees shore power it auto connects. I personally prefer separate chargers and inverters with a manual switch

For those who have lots of devices in their system, the battery monitors with a shunt really help as well.

Last edited:
I'll try and explain this. The AC comes from the shore power cable to the main 30A cct breaker. When that breaker is on my Xantrex charger/inverter is also on and is charging my house batteries. All the other breakers are hot on the one side and supply AC power if switched on. The green light goes on too. The Battery Charger breaker is actually my engine start batteries. When shore power is removed all AC power is off. I then have to turn on my inverter which now supplys AC power back to only the Cabin Outlets, Aft Cabin Outlets, and microwave. The AC main switch still needs to be on for that to happen. If its off no AC comes from the Inverter. The house battery switch also needs to be on for the inverter to get 12 volts. Engine start batteries don't matter. If the egines are running then your house battery is being charged and you can leave your inverter on. The inverter draws the batteries down pretty quick. I have a Victron battery monitor and I can see what is happening so limit my inverter use when at anchor.

IMG_1680.JPG

inverters are basically laziness. i hate inverters. they just cause electricity waste on boats where everything should be DC powered. its not like you cannot get DC powered fridges, water heaters, ACs, microwaves and other stuff. they just cost a bit more. while an inverter is the lazy solution to power problems by putting inefficient household junk on boats. so yes keep the inefficient inverter off. DC for teh win. down with inverters.

inverters are basically laziness. i hate inverters. they just cause electricity waste on boats where everything should be DC powered. its not like you cannot get DC powered fridges, water heaters, ACs, microwaves and other stuff. they just cost a bit more. while an inverter is the lazy solution to power problems by putting inefficient household junk on boats. so yes keep the inefficient inverter off. DC for teh win. down with inverters.

But how do I charge up my phone to give sweet reports from the grounds on a multi day trip?

I'd like to see a DC water heater heatup a water tank on a battery monitor. Toss some 2 awg onto a a DC element that's equivalent to 1500 watt and watch and see
I'm just so used to timing showers and dishes with the boat having been run. Those hot water tanks can hold that heat for a surprisingly long time.

Back