Interview on South Coast Chinook Salmon Closure and Management Actions by Federal Government

Good interview, Dave. I think Jennifer Thuncher and the Squamish Chief could have done a better job w their stock fotos, tho. Did nobody catch what fish were in the picture below the Green Party's hatchery comments??

I have herd this argument now more then a few times. It’s interesting because we mass mark coho.

Q: Currently, B.C. only marks 10 per cent of its hatchery fish, would you commit to 100 per cent of hatchery marking as Washington State does?

A: Liberal Party’s Jonathan Wilkinson: It is more complicated than is sometimes appreciated. One of the issues is it does increase, almost certainly, recreational fisheries, which means you would have more mortality among the stocks of concern. We would have to think about that. That would create some issues for some First Nations who aren't big fans of the hatchery fishery anyway, because of the mortality and they have a constitutional priority. Also, the DFO use the marked fish now as a proxy to understand how many fish are being taken over all. It isn't that we couldn't change that. We could, but that would require a change within the DFO and that would be complex. So, we aren't closed to the idea, but there is a range of issues.

Good interview, Dave. I think Jennifer Thuncher and the Squamish Chief could have done a better job w their stock fotos, tho. Did nobody catch what fish were in the picture below the Green Party's hatchery comments??
I saw the photo but they're talking about fish farms as well so I would just cut them some slack.

Overall I think it's great that this large a story with so much in depth detail is published by a local newspaper on salmon and sportfishing. Jennifer put a great deal of work into it and in-depth detail

I have herd this argument now more then a few times. It’s interesting because we mass mark coho.

Q: Currently, B.C. only marks 10 per cent of its hatchery fish, would you commit to 100 per cent of hatchery marking as Washington State does?

A: Liberal Party’s Jonathan Wilkinson: It is more complicated than is sometimes appreciated. One of the issues is it does increase, almost certainly, recreational fisheries, which means you would have more mortality among the stocks of concern. We would have to think about that. That would create some issues for some First Nations who aren't big fans of the hatchery fishery anyway, because of the mortality and they have a constitutional priority. Also, the DFO use the marked fish now as a proxy to understand how many fish are being taken over all. It isn't that we couldn't change that. We could, but that would require a change within the DFO and that would be complex. So, we aren't closed to the idea, but there is a range of issues.
It's such a bogus argument and really doesn't fly. Marking hatchery chinook would protect wild stocks. Wilkinson would rather bury his head in the sand then actually take some meaningful action to create angling opportunities and help stocks that are not doing well recover!

It's such a bogus argument and really doesn't fly. Marking hatchery chinook would protect wild stocks. Wilkinson would rather bury his head in the sand then actually take some meaningful action to create angling opportunities and help stocks that are not doing well recover!
That’s because the puppet master has wanted him to kiss the natives a$$ at any cost. This is the guy who repeatedly told lies on a radio show and has no integrity. Great interview and thanks for being an advocate for our sport.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

The surf line comment in the first bit of the article made me cringe as it was misplaced, however the rest was quite well presented.

Keep up the great work Dave!

That’s because the puppet master has wanted him to kiss the natives a$$ at any cost. This is the guy who repeatedly told lies on a radio show and has no integrity. Great interview and thanks for being an advocate for our sport.

This is essentially why the Liberals have to go if you want different management into the future, otherwise your just begging for the same restrictions as this year.

This is essentially why the Liberals have to go if you want different management into the future, otherwise your just begging for the same restrictions as this year.
And zero recovery plan to help the 4-2 and 5-2 early Fraser Chinook stocks other than closing the fishery!

Thanks for sharing.

The surf line comment in the first bit of the article made me cringe as it was misplaced, however the rest was quite well presented.

Keep up the great work Dave!
Got in touch with the Chief and they corrected the error on the surf line comment.

some rumors out their that catch and release may not even be open next year? any truth to this rumor??

was there a meeting in august where this was discussed???

“Pictures of dead steelhead and fishery data have already surfaced from (Fisheries and Oceans) test fisheries and illegal fisheries and you have to think that represents no more than one per cent of what is really being caught,” said Jesse Zeman, spokesman for the B.C. Wildlife Federation. “Where recent salmon fisheries are concerned, it doesn’t matter who is placing the nets — First Nations or someone else — they are going to catch steelhead.”

“Nets are not selective, so (Fisheries and Oceans) really needs to move to selective fisheries if the steelhead are going to survive,”

some rumors out their that catch and release may not even be open next year? any truth to this rumor??

was there a meeting in august where this was discussed???
Jonathan Wilkinson had promised participation to a group of us who attended the meeting with him on May 22nd in a Roundtable group involving all user groups. None of us ever heard anything further on this from him, despite follow-ups. Any decision making is being kept internal and certainly not involving the sport fishing community! If you read his comments in the interview, he has no interest in creating opportunities and is not a proponent of marking Chinook more than the current 10%. Further marking of Chinook would create retention for sport fishing opportunities, but it would also give data to manage stocks more effectively. We all know that Ministwr Wilkinson ignores data!

Last edited:
Great work Dave. Your interview really helps point out some of the flaws in the politically influenced science-based approach, and calls out the un-necessary impact. Certainly has one questioning the accuracy of the political spin (Chinook Crisis) placed on stock assessment given the unprecedented chinook abundance we observed this season. Also stating DFO can't make the shift towards stock assessment in a new world where we mark 100% of our hatchery Chinook is crazy. We are blessed to have world class DFO scientists - I'm confident they can solve that problem if provided the resources to do it. Clip 100%, and CWT only 10% as we do today...nothing changes other than the cost of processing an increased number of heads that are turned in. The US already does this.

Canada needs a plan that maximizes the social and economic benefits of the Public Fishery, not one that destroys that. Why are 9,000 SNC Lavalin jobs more important than 9,000+ west coast jobs in the Public Fishery? Let's grow opportunity and our economy.

Thanks Searun and High Tide! There's a lot of individual volunteers behind helping me carry these issues forward. It's definitely a team effort and we all have to keep the pressure on and demand better of DFO and our Fisheries Minister!

I do agree with your comment Searun that "We are blessed to have world class DFO scientists - I'm confident they can solve that problem if provided the resources to do it. " We do have some great people working at DFO, but the bureaucrats, Fisheries Minister and Prime Ministers Office keep pushing forward other agendas!

Back