Interesting email I recieved

Lipripper

If you purchase something from, Wal-Mart, Sears etc. and you return the item with the receipt, they will give you your money back if you paid cash, or credit your account if paid by plastic.

Well, I purchased a GPS for my car: a Tom Tom XL.S from
'Best Buy'.
They have a policy that it mu
st be returned within 14 days for a refund!

So after 4 days I returned it in the original box with all the items in the box, with paper work and cords all wrapped in the plastic. Just as I received it, including the receipt.

I explained to the lady at the return desk I did not like the way it could not find store names.

The lady at the refund desk said, there is a 15% restock fee, for items returned. I said no one told me that. I said how much would that be. She said it goes by the price of the item. It will be $45.00 for you.
I said, all your going to do is walk over and place it back on the shelf then charge me $45.00 of my money for restocking? She said that's the store policy.
I said if more people were aware of it they would not buy anything here! If I had bought a $2000.00 computer or TV and returned it I would be charged $300.00 restock fee? She said yes. 15%.

I said OK, just give me my money minus the restock fee.

She said, since the item is over $200.00 dollars, she can't give me my money back!

Corporate has to and they will mail you a check in 7 to ten days.!! I said 'WHAT?!'

It's my money!! I paid in cash!
I want to buy a different brand..
Now I have to wait 7 to 10 days.
She said well, our policy is on the back of your receipt.

I said, do you read the front or back of your receipt? She said well, the front! I said so do I.
I want to talk to the Manager!

So the manager comes over, I explained everything to him, and he said, well, sir they should have told you about the policy when you got the item. I said, no one has ever told me about the check refund or restock fee when I bought items from computers to TVs from Best Buy. The only thing they ever discussed was the worthless extended warranty program.
He said, well, I can give you corporate phone number.

I called corporate. The guy said, well, I'm not supposed to do this but I can give you a 45.00 dollar gift card and you can use it at Best Buy.

I told him if I bought something and returned it, you would charge me a restock fee on the item and then send me a check for the remaining 3 dollars.

You can keep your gift card, I'm never shopping in Best Buy ever again, and if I'd been smart, I would have charged the whole thing on my credit card! Then I would have canceled the transaction.

I would have gotten all my money back including your stupid fees! He didn't say a word!

I informed him that I was going to e-mail my friends and give them a heads-up on the store's policy, as they don't tell you about all the little caveats.

So please pass this on. It may save your friends from having a bad experience of shopping at Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=page&contentId=1117177044087&id=cat12098

Tis the season ;)
Careful out there

Don't disagree with ya.
I never really return anything unless there is a problem with it... I don't think that I would be buying big tickets item from a place that there is a possibility that I would have to deal that kinda stuff.

that is a total crock...I had a few things I was gonna buy...probrably 1500 ish.....I dont think it will be at Best Buy now

SO B.S Ive never even been to best buy...Only time i was gonna go was cuz Trevor Linden was there! [:p] Give me a ring some time Dano, Get together around X-mas and drink some brewskies!

-Steve

A happy customer tells two or three friends, an unhappy customer tells everyone.
We had an unpleasant experience in Best Buy once. It was the first and last time we were ever in there.

I have no patience for that kind of BS. Did they tell you anything at all about their return policy at the time of purchase? For example, did the explain the 14 time limit, the requirement to bring a receipt etc. If they did any of this and they did not also mention the restocking fee, than they are likely in contravention of the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act. http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document...ction act sbc 2004 c. 2/00_act/04002_00.htm

Specifically, it sounds like a "deceptive act" to me. If it were my $45, I'd bring this to their attention.

Of course, I haven't read the whole Act, but if you're still pissed and looking to be a thorn in their side, this might be a good way to do it.

This is just an email I recieved.... thought of it as another spamish email till I looked at the link that came with it detailing their policy

quote:She said well, our policy is on the back of your receipt.

I said, do you read the front or back of your receipt? She said well, the front! I said so do I.
I want to talk to the Manager!

A customer usually doesn't get a receipt until the transaction is completed. I think corporate policies like this should be disclosed before the transaction is completed. Even a small sign at the check out saying something like "15% restocking fee will be charged for returned items. Other conditions may apply" would be helpful to the customer. Many stores are up front about return policies like this.

I agree with Cuttlefish. Bestbuy return policy stinks. I work in retain for a large store and we have a very laid-back return policy. However, there is always someone out there who wants to abuse it. I could tell you some horror stories of what some customers do. Actually had a customer bring back a real cut Christmas tree after Christmas, still with traces of tinsel on it, saying they didn't want it because it dropped some of the needles and are returning it for a refund within the 30 days. Another one brought back a weedwacker in the original box. Said it was unused, bought as a gift but the person already had one so would like a refund. When cut open the box to check inside it was an old worn out weedwacker, not even the same make in the box. The box had been carefully taped up again. When confronted by this the customer simply shrugged and walked out. I could go on and on. This is why retailers are becoming more stringent with their return policies. Genuine returns are no problem but there are a lot of people out there trying to abuse the system which eventually leads to higher prices for all of us.

Well I wouldn't ever shop at such a shop. Restocking fee's?? What is that? It's a joke. Hey I wonder when someone that would support such a fee would add a fee simular.

Maybe some auction shop will be next..:)

I worked for Sears when it was still Simpson's Sears, many years ago.

People bought skiis and returned them after the ski season.

Quite a few folks of a certain origin would re-carpet and re-furnish their entire homes for the once in a decade visit, then return it all after the ones who chose not to immigrate went back home.

This is why I no longer shop at Sears... I don't want to pay for their abused satisfaction guarantee.

I only return stuff if it was flawed or misrepresented.

Those terms of a return policy must be readily-available at POS, and not merely on the back of a receipt or the retailer is not able to enforce them.

quote:So please pass this on.

This line in the viral email says it all.
Thanks Deewar25 for researching it.
GLG

.......I return items in pristine condition or do not attempt to do so. I have seen people return items in crap condition though. Ripped packaging, missing parts, used etc. Blows my mind. Can you imagine trying to run a retail business and 40% of the items get returned the very next day. Ever stood in line at WalMart for returns? Unbeleivable mess they have to deal with. Don't know how they can contend with their own financial statements from day to day. You would never be able to count on any revenue with that going on all the time not to mention having to try to sell opened boxes that people have returned.[xx(]

With that said ....... I am a customer, and will still return items if I choose to. ;)

so where did lipripper buy from, sounded like one in canada, maybe the manager of that store needs the real email

quote:Originally posted by dohboy

so where did lipripper buy from, sounded like one in canada, maybe the manager of that store needs the real email

as the topic said 'email I received'...likely originated from some hick town in Georgia! lol

If you go through the return policy from the Canadian site, it doesnt seem all that different

Back