Interesting Catch

IronNoggin

Hello Folks,

Just back from a month of dark to dark fishing.
Salmon lived up to the hype around them this year, and so the catches were good.
Happy but Damn BAGGED!

Had an interesting encounter while fishing off Esperanza (WCVI - outside and west a little of Nootka).
A Salmon Shark decided to try on one of the plugs we were using for springs.
Good Sized Bugger, but just a tad on the vicious side! When I eventually did try for the underwater shot, the Bugger SMOKED HARD to try and engulf camera and hand in one bite!!
WOW.gif

Needless to say, that is one photo that wasn't captured!!

Little video here:

[xIHO4wvsluo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIHO4wvsluo

And a couple of pictures:

Shark_1.jpg

Shark_2.jpg

Just When You Thought It Was Safe to Go Back In The Water!!
sly.gif

Cheers!
Nog

... must of had fun getting your plug back in one piece? .......BB

Let's just say that particular little maneuver was "Interesting" ;)
Took a few minutes, all the while he was snapping at the gaff and the air!
Certainly didn't want to get any part of me near the "Meat Grinder"!!

Cheers,
Nog

Do they hit best with the leader tied to the weld or opposite the weld? :)

Apparently they are just like salmon in that regard. Tied opposite the weld so the retainer bar on the plug rides Right On the weld ;)

Hope this helps! :D

Cheers,
Nog

Very cool nog.They got quite a set of chompers.Personally I would have let him have the frickin' plug!LOL

They got quite a set of chompers.Personally I would have let him have the frickin' plug!LOL

A plug that works consistently and faster than most is worth it's weight in Gold out there!
No way in hell I was going to let that toothy bugger swim off with one!!
Should have heard me as I was going through the motions of retrieving it!
Kind of like the seagulls in the Finding Nemo flick: Mine you *&#*! MINE!!! LOL!

These sharks can get up to 800 - 900 pounds! :eek:
This one was around 6 feet, and pushing 300 lbs. FAR to big to contemplate bring aboard!
They are one of the only true warm-blooded sharks, allowing them to range much further North than most of their kin.

Here's an interesting documentary from Alaskan waters for any who might be interested:

[bNLvMRNXhX4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNLvMRNXhX4&feature=youtu.be

Cheers,
Nog

Salmon sharks are also referred to as "black Fish" are they not? saw a number of them jumping almost like porpoises up in kyuquot a few years ago when we made it up there during a huge coho school passing through.

We used to get lots on the sports gear at the lodge. Largest lander was 132# on a salmon rod. 2 1/2 hours o hee haw baby. They taste incredible

Years ago, I ran over one of those guys while heading out past 7 mile at Bamfield. WHAM, and the engine kicked up! I turned around to see what i had hit and it was about a 7ft salmon shark doing the funky chicken with blood streaming out of its head. I grabbed a gaff and was ready to land the shark-- but it sank just before I could get it. I saw sweating bricks until I got back in because I was sure I felt the vibration from a bent prop... Just my imagination however. The only damage was the paint scraped off the gear housing and a bit off the skeg! I got off easier than the shark!

Last edited by a moderator:
Salmon sharks are also referred to as "black Fish" are they not? saw a number of them jumping almost like porpoises up in kyuquot a few years ago when we made it up there during a huge coho school passing through.

"Black Fish" is fisherman slang for Orca

I read somewhere that salmon sharks followed the sockeye school in 2010. Wonder if they are out front the Fraser now. Lol

"Black Fish" is fisherman slang for Orca

True That. EG: "Blackfish Sound" ;)

I read somewhere that salmon sharks followed the sockeye school in 2010. Wonder if they are out front the Fraser now. Lol

They follow sockeye and pinks every single year, and stage at various points to intercept them.
Out in front of the Fraser? Perhaps one that can put up with all the **** flowing out of that running cesspool... LOL
Given their enhanced sense of smell, etc etc... Unlikely methinks. :cool:

Cheers,
Nog

Great NatGeo video link Nog. The salmon shark is one badass dude! Awesome pics and vid from the troller...he is a slab!

Back