Intenational halibut catch recommendations-- 2012

Cuba Libre

Regulatory Area 2011 Adopted Fishery Catch Limit 2012 IPHC Staff Recommended Fishery Catch Limit
2Aa 0.910 0.989
2Bb 7.650 6.633
2C 2.330 2.624
3A 4.360 11.918
3B 7.510 5.070
4A 2.410 1.567
4B 2.180 1.869
4CDEc 3.720 2.465

Total 41.070 33.135

Canada is area 2B-- the IPHC is recommending a CUT to Canadas catch for next year of 1 million + lbs.

The full story is here.. http://www.iphc.int/news-releases/250-nr20111202b.html

NOT good news.

So last year sporties could catch 918,000lbs at 12%. So even if we get 17% we'd still only be able to catch 1,127,000lbs in 2012, and say 15% is 998,000lbs, that'd be a similar season to 2011 :( Hmmm....

Ok not sure why I started with 8% in that first post .Big bowl I guess. LOL

I will try this again later wen I have time .for now I have deleted my foolishness and will leave the fancy mathematizing to the rest of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see a break down on area 2b to see exactly where and how Canada's share of the resource is being dispersed by sportfishing zone in BC.

DHA.

I'd like to see a break down on area 2b to see exactly where and how Canada's share of the resource is being dispersed by sportfishing zone in BC.

DHA.

The bulk was taken in the north again.

I call bs on the iphc numbers. We had a 13% increase in CPU but with the ****** fishing practices in Alaska (trawlers and pcod boats each killing roughly 10 million lbs of juveniles each year) we get screwed because the coastwide number has dropped. Wtf

What ever sector you represent this is going to suck.

The bulk was taken in the north again.

I call bs on the iphc numbers. We had a 13% increase in CPU but with the ****** fishing practices in Alaska (trawlers and pcod boats each killing roughly 10 million lbs of juveniles each year) we get screwed because the coastwide number has dropped. Wtf

What ever sector you represent this is going to suck.

Yup...This is going to suck... I believe DFO will not even send there people there this year?? Hope that this is not true.... ;(

There you go, Alaska screwing their neighbours again. They do it every year with Chinook, and now Hali's. Not much accountability there. This will be a rather interesting season. Prepare for a short one.

Area 2B TAC actually has noting to do with Alaska. It is all about Harvest Rate (HR) on Exploitable Biomass in Area 2B.

2011 Commercial Fishery: Under/Over
Area 2B was under -3%, with the Adjusted Catch Limit at -3% including underage and overage programs.

2011 Sport Catch for Area 2B was 1.220 Million pounds, which was up 5.5%.
Area 2B Sport Fishery
•Sport sector (DFO)
–2011: 2010 overage was not deducted from 2011 allocation
–2010: 2009 underage was carry-over to 2010 allocation

–Experimental lease program of commercial quota
•Online application
•4,000 pounds leased – few pounds taken

•2011 management measures (DFO)
–1-fish daily bag limit
–Shortened season of March 1 – September 5

•Catch exceeded allocation (0.947 Mlbs)
– by 28% or 0.27 Mlbs

The Subsistence Fishery in Area 2B – 405,000 pounds (2007-2011), Provided by DFO

http://www.iphc.int/meetings/2011im/Fishery2011IMv3hg.pdf

"Only Areas 2A and 2C show recommended catch limit increases for 2012."

As someone who's knew to the Halibut-fracas, if I'm interpreting this correctly, this statement from the IHPC report disturbs me somehow.

Is the IHPC recommending the only areas eligible for harvest increases are in American waters?

Looking at the map of the Zones, it appears they are pointing the finger squarely at Canada.

IMHO: I think this underscores the importance of maintaining our battle with DFO for fair allocation and access to our fish.

There you go, Alaska screwing their neighbours again. They do it every year with Chinook, and now Hali's. Not much accountability there. This will be a rather interesting season. Prepare for a short one.

humm, i would voice a concern that you BC folks are screwing not only your neighbors but the entire west coast salmon harvest with your continued inability to regulate your net pens.

humm, i would voice a concern that you BC folks are screwing not only your neighbors but the entire west coast salmon harvest with your continued inability to regulate your net pens.

Hmmm I would voice my concern over Alaska's other commercial ground fish fleet with an appauling bicatch rate of halibut with no means of marketing or using up the bicatch (i.e complete wastage). They can't get a plan together to deal with the bicatch yet are getting an increase in quota?

We could sit here and throw this back and forth between countries folks but what is that going to accomplish?

reelfast, my point was in response to fish 4 all's observation regarding the commercial by-catch issues going on in Alaska - this is ultimately a major conservation problem as it impacts the overall health of the biomass. Clearly one of the major problems impacting the Canadian allocation is the inability to properly/fairly allocate the catch, including properly measuring the sport caught halibut. By that i mean the average halibut weight used to calculate the sport catch is based on the larger average size of the commercial catch, as opposed to the actual average size of sport caught hali's. If DFO used the actual average sport caught size to calculate the catch it would lower the total catch....a problem! Time for log books to build rock solid evidence documenting the sport catch.

horse b4 the cart searun, and i know u agree with this, but i'll say it anyway, how the hell do they come up with an average sport caught size when they dont even know how much we catch, DFO is way out to lunch.....holmes*

I agree with yourself and sea run. The numbers that DFO put out there are not legitimate. Time for us sporties to poney up the few minutes of our time and record our catches so the DFO can finally come out with some numbers that mean anyting.

horse b4 the cart searun, and i know u agree with this, but i'll say it anyway, how the hell do they come up with an average sport caught size when they dont even know how much we catch, DFO is way out to lunch.....holmes*

Yep, totally agree. We are on same page, and I just want to see a proper method of determining the sport catch...which includes log books, and properly assessing average sport caught hali weight to correctly determine our catch. Current method is grossly incorrect.

Not trying to highjack here but I hear you loud and clear Reelfast. Things with salmon farming up here are a mess thanks to corruption in Govm't. But to be fair, it would go a long way to solving this problem if the American's would stop buying and eating 9 out of every 10 fish we grow in these cesspools.

(forgive Cam, he's just passionate and fed-up like the rest of us)

i agree with holmes there is a huge differerence between the salmon farms and halibut. Any respectable canadian fisher would have the farms out of the water in a heart beat. the way alaska is treating its bottem fisheries is from the stone age. there is a request for better monitoring in Alaska for 2013 but i would guess it could take years to implement.

The 10 million lbs of bycatch in just the trawl fishery is juvenile halibut. that equates to more than 10 million animals killed every year as bycatch. if 50% of those were left untouched and reached leagal age it would be enough fish for 2 full years of harvest...again wtf.

The only way to change it is for each area to be 100% accountable for their removals. That would mean there would be no directed hali catch in area 3a and off to the west.

Not trying to highjack here but I hear you loud and clear Reelfast. Things with salmon farming up here are a mess thanks to corruption in Govm't. But to be fair, it would go a long way to solving this problem if the American's would stop buying and eating 9 out of every 10 fish we grow in these cesspools.

(forgive Cam, he's just passionate and fed-up like the rest of us)

knowing that virtually all net pen salmon are treated with SLICE, a pesticide that our FDA does not approve of when there is human consumption involved, i contacted our state attorney generals office. all of your salmon pass through WA for distribution all over the US. since this pesticide is not approved, i thought the AG's office might want to give it a sniff. after a couple of weeks, i got a polite written response; '...not our problem...' and there you go, another politician not willing to get involved in an international fight. i have since contacted my senators with this same information, nothing to date.

and you are absolutely correct, i try to only look at my own actions as opposed to those of others as it would seem no one is lilly white in this instance. when the US has policies which are consistent and scientifically meaningful, i will start throwing stones at others. but that is not a likely occurance so i just leave my stone pile alone and fight the local battles for better scientific management of our resources.

if i remember, 3A sports took it up the butt this past year. will probably happen again this coming season as well. 2A looks like a slight bump in numbers but i can almost guarantee WDFW and their screwed up statistical departmnet will stick it to us once again. when i see your seasons and bag limits, i just have to shake my head at how nieve all of you are with regard to this resource.

Back