Installing a Master Switch

Sculpin - I dont know the dimensions off the top of my head. I can probebly fit 2 batteries, ACR, Master Switch and a fuse panel its just going to be quite compact. I like to work in spaces that your boat has, but will make do with what i have :) I will have to just design a good layout plan.

Are the Optima blue top batteries smaller than most comparable batteries? Finding some smaller batteries would be handy if infact i need to replace them.

Chris,

I believe the Optima's are smaller. That should help you for sure. Laying out everything before hand helps alot. Measure everything and sketch it out on some paper while right there at the location. It helps big time.

Absolutly. There is 2 batteries sitting in the compartment now. However they are the older water style, so they need to be standing up. An AGM setup would allow me to either stack them, or lay them on there sides, side by side at the back of the compartment giving me a significant increase in avalible space. Im also going to need to think of a new way to hold the batteries down, I only have 1 batterie box.

Sculpin - Is costco usual a good place for batteries price wise? Optima or other AGM batteries.

Absolutly. There is 2 batteries sitting in the compartment now. However they are the older water style, so they need to be standing up. An AGM setup would allow me to either stack them, or lay them on there sides, side by side at the back of the compartment giving me a significant increase in avalible space. Im also going to need to think of a new way to hold the batteries down, I only have 1 batterie box.

Sculpin - Is costco usual a good place for batteries price wise? Optima or other AGM batteries.

Sounds like you can make it work. I don't know about prices for the Optima's I have never bought them before. Costco usually has pretty good pricing though. I buy just about all my marine stuff from the Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo.

Ok, how are they compaired to West Marine? I will look at where HC is and look at going there. Are they strickly retail or do they offer boat servicing as well?

Here is the Blue Sea add a battery kit recently installed on my boat. I know there is alot of other extra's in there but you can get the idea with the relay switch etc.

My starter battery should always be topped. I will test it out in a couple of days with a meter etc. to make sure everything is working properly.

If you want a nice permanently mounted battery monitoring solution -- take a look at a TriMetric Monitor from Bogart Engineering. We have one at our cabin for the solar system there. It will tell you EVERYTHING about your batteries -- system voltage, number of amps or watts in or out, % charged, days since fully charged, amps required to get it fully charged yadda yadda yadda. Completely takes the guess work out of battery charging.

If you want a nice permanently mounted battery monitoring solution -- take a look at a TriMetric Monitor from Bogart Engineering. We have one at our cabin for the solar system there. It will tell you EVERYTHING about your batteries -- system voltage, number of amps or watts in or out, % charged, days since fully charged, amps required to get it fully charged yadda yadda yadda. Completely takes the guess work out of battery charging.

Thanks for the info TenMile. I checked out their website. I will research them some more.

Back