Initial 2019 Five Nations Multi-Species Fishery Management Plan

Do they have priority access or just a bigger share of the CTAC?

Anyways by the looks of it every band in BC is going to want a court defined area or "rights area" where they can harvest on a small scale and sell their catch.

Will be interesting to see what happens because I thought when I was reading the original verdict the SCC was trying to avoid going down that rabbit hole.

will also be interesting to see if anyone is going to try to have intervenor status in this upcoming case.
I would say that the court has defined that the 5 Nations, plus Maa Nulth who are the only treaty FN's with the "me too" clause, have a right to a commercial fishery and to sell their catch within the Court defined area. No other FN has established that right - so unless a specific FN obtains a judgment DFO isn't recognizing any other groups. Of course anything can happen, and usually does. The larger issue for the Courts and Government is they also have a duty to protect other citizens, and being a sharing culture its hard to divide a limited and steadily shrinking pie. Manage to zero is the end game unless we all learn to share. And I'm not just talking about the rec sector either...all sectors have to learn to share what is left and learn to be happy with LESS. Less is more I predict.

Well Dzawada’enuxw have filed a court case asking for their own rights area. So I guess your right will see what happens.

It’s also clear that having recreational ahead of FN commercial is also a rights infringement and DFO is not justified in doing so. For coho and chinook

Interesting times will be embarking into.

I see an opening ahead politically for a Trump-like candidate, a guy named Ford comes to mind, and he’s not going to be as generous with people in this country that don’t love being just plain ole Canadians first, and a race of Canadian second. That isn’t a good thing, not in the least, but when the people paying for all this get angry enough bad things happen!

Back