Inflatable PFD's........rating?

Seafever

Was looking at WestMarine's online catalog of inflatable PFD's

Noticed there were 3 different types.......Rec, Coastal and Inshore........

One I was looking at...the floatation specs weren't very different ....one had 25lbs and the other was 26lbs.....(for a person over 80lbs and 32 to 56 inch chest)

What's the big difference?

Not sure, but my Helly Hansen one has a rating of 35lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
The old life jacket I use I just looked at the label...

it was made by Beacon Industries in Vancouver.........googled them and it looks like they aren't in business anymore.

it's actually a "canoe" vest ( Ilike the style of it ....like a zip-up jacket)

Says it has minimum floatation of 7.05Kg.....for 46 to 48 inch chest.

Conforms to CGSB standard 65-Gp-11

PFD Type 1

Filling is rubber and plastic.

It maybe time for a new one. Although this one isn't kapok-filled.....

does it have to with they are self inflating? the three different one s i have , pull to inflate (fairly cost effective) no good for head bonk.., self inflate when water contacts (a lil more dough and good if ya get bonked, but not good if you are in the rain all the time), third is self inflate with 5lbs mercury pressure (basically 2-3' under water before it will inflate) most costly!!

remember, none count as a pfd if you or people on board are not wearing them!!

My wife objected....so I got a large roll of Duct tape and taped a big Scotchman prawn-trap float to her.....:cool:

just kidding....thanks for the info on types and cost........

probably go with one of the first two.......not sure I like the idea of being 3 feet underwater before it decides to inflate........

If you look on Mustang's site, I believe there is a lot of FAQ's/info regarding the self inflating ones...may find answers to your questions there.

I seem to have some vague memory that you should test the inflation of the PDF’s periodically by tossing them in water for the auto inflates or place them in and pull the string for the manuals. For mine I have not done this as I got it new at a fund raising auction only a couple of years back. I like to think it should work after such a short time and am also a bit concerned that it would be a pain to repack them correctly and wonder if testing them cause them to receive excessive wear and be more likely to fail when actually needed.

For that matter do the inflatable PFD’s have a limited life span themselves and for this reason are required to be disposed of after so many years? One does not want to wonder if the thing will actually inflate when you really need it. The gas cartridge also have a limited life span and have to be replaced like flares so I guess it would make sense to test them if one has a cartridge about to expire. Has anyone done this and if so how difficult is it to get the PFD rinsed, dried out and repacked properly?

The 25 or 35lb has to do with the amount of buoyancy the PFD will provide you.
Type 1 is off shore should keep you face up, most floatation/buoyancy
Type 2 near shore/calmer water may not keep you face up, not as long in the water chance of a faster rescue
Type 3 good for calmer waters water skiing, canoeing, not long in the water, chance of faster rescue. This would have the least amount of buoyancy.

To Rockfish, each season I take my inflatibles and manually inflate them through the tube and set them aside for 24 hours. If they will not hold the air they are discarded. I also have water activated strobes on each so the batteries are replaced each year.

I've not routinely changed out the CO2 cartridges. The times when a friend caught the pull on a net and an excessive rain storm set off years old cartridges convinced me the pill device was more likely to waste a cartridge than ever have one go bad.

The next inflatibles I buy will be the hydrostatic models.

West Marine is a U.S. company and I think their online cataloge has U.S. only PFD/Lifejacket models in it, which likely aren't approved for use in Canada. Eg. if the catalogue ad only lists approval as "USCG Type: Type V", that's not approved for use in Canada...by a Canadian. An American can use it on their own boat in CDN waters during short stays, but we must have CDN approved for us on board. The West Marine stores in Canada should stock CDN approved ones, but the catalog likely not.

Basically, no French on the label, not going to pass a check by the RCMP (if that's the only PFD for yourself on board), even though the USCG approved PFD's may be perfectly good, PFDs or Lifejackets must say Transport Canada (TC) or Canadian Coast Guard (if older model) approved.... if that is the only PFD for you onboard. You can use/wear a U.S. only approved PFD, if you have a backup CDN one on board as well to show the authorities when they check you (if they check the labels). Issue boils down to no North American standard on lifejackets and the test weight of an average person. U.S. considers an average adult to weight one thing, Canadians another. Canada has the higher standard and goes with the larger test weight, so they won't accept U.S.C.G. PFD's as being equivalent.

Well the HH one I have is definitely Canadian Coast Guard approved.

I do like the Helly line of PFDs/Lifejackets (their brand includes the lower price point Nautalis as well). They've come out with some nice stuff the past few years, especially in waterproof floater coats/jackets. I have a camo natualis inflatable for hunting... gotta have a camo one when huntin in the cartopper up north :)

I used a coastal version when I'm racing.
From what I've seen, the difference is more about the quality of the vest than the way it works.
The offshore versions are for sailing offshore, so they need to be very strong (some have a safety harness built in).
The Coastal is a great version for around Victoria.
I "tested" mine the first weekend I owned it, by falling overboard during the start of a race and being dragged backwards by my feet at 6.5 knots.
It inflated, surfaced me right by the transom of the boat.
If you buy them from the West Marine stores in Canada, they are Transport Canada certified.

I got my auto inflate on sale for $106. A new cartridge and bobbin was $29.99 (plus my pride walking into the store again on Monday)

Attachments

• IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 67
Back