Inflatable dingy recommendations

Umos

Any recommendations for an inflatable dinghy for shuttling 2-3 people to shore and back ? Considering stability and weight, as I need to lift it solo above a radar dome onto my boat's cabin when travelling with it inflated. Shuttling wife, kids and dog with a few trips I guess. I'm looking at the explorer 300, but wouldn't mind something a bit more robust if still pretty light. Thanks

I'd go a little bit more expensive, something with an inflatable keel so you can row straight. I have a titan which Harbour chandler used to import but they and Trotac both sell the quicksilver airdeck 250 I believe, which is pretty light. I have a 3.5hp engine and mine can plane with just me so I can go on solo missions. If you can find a smaller hypalon used boat they are worth grabbing https://defender.com/en_us/inflatable-boats?price=999-1789 or https://www.quicksilver-inflatables.com/airdeck-250-300-320

Any recommendations for an inflatable dinghy for shuttling 2-3 people to shore and back ? Considering stability and weight, as I need to lift it solo above a radar dome onto my boat's cabin when travelling with it inflated. Shuttling wife, kids and dog with a few trips I guess. I'm looking at the explorer 300, but wouldn't mind something a bit more robust if still pretty light. Thanks
If you are interested in used DM me. I have exactly what you are looking for. I put it on the roof of my Skagit Orca with and it was perfect for shuttling my two girls, wife and myself to shore. I also have a 2.5 Yamaha that I will sell with it

Good thread, I’m in the process of brainstorming a dingy also. I’d like something to keep on the roof of my 2359 but there isn’t much space as the radar is up there. Id also do two trips, one with myself wife and 4 year old, and then one to get the boy 11 years old. What to you guys figure the smallest I can get away with. Don’t have any dingy experience. Would use in Barkley to get to shore for some beach and land time off the boat, will just paddle no motor

Are you thinking to have the dingy lay over the radar dome, that’s what I’m potentially thinking as my dome is in the way. I’m wondering if the radar will work still if covered

We have 2 dinghys depending on the situation. We have an extremely lightweight Seahawk 5 inflatable that collapses down along with paddles, accessories, pumps, patch kits, etc. into a 45L container. We have a small electric motor & motor mount to go along with it. Easy-to-pack, simple to blow up & launch in under 15 minutes. Seats 2 comfortably or 4 for very short trips to shore. Not good for open water, wind, or sharp oyster covered beaches but very easy to carry and store.

We bought the Tobin Sports dinghy (soft hull/aluminum floor) from Costco a couple years ago at a steal-of-a-deal (~$400) and put a 9.9 on it. This is now rigged up with battery, lights, electric start, rod holders and even manual downriggers and we take it sailing up & down the coast. Very ruggedly built (for $400) and great in all conditions. Seats 3 comfortably, and 5 for short trips to shore. Unloaded, without motor one person could manhandle it onto the mothership to deflate and pack up into a 3'x3'x5' roll in under 30 minutes. We prefer to do this at a dock or beach whenever possible, otherwise we just tow it behind us.

dinghy.jpg20220620_212315.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to lift it above the radar dome, and am ok if it screws the signal. It seems like it will need to be something like the seahawk to be liftable up there by one person. I guess I was hoping there was a quality brand making ultra light paddle boats, not just Canadian tire type quality ones.

Appreciate everyone's input.

https://harbourchandler.ca/quicksilver-tendy-slatted-240-inflatable-boat/ These go on sale quite often I think.

I have the costco Tobin Sports boat and it would be pretty heavy to get on the roof by yourself. but it is rated for 15 HP. I've only used it once and its great but it's pretty big and heavy.
Thanks. I am thinking about going for this one, without the transom it might be a bit easier to manhandle above, and it seems like decent quality.

I have a small West Marine inflatable that I can haul onto the roof by myself. I have a 2.3 Honda outboard as well.
Good for going to the beach with 2 people but I have squeezed 4 on for a short sketchy run. I've had it for 14 years and no leaks yet.

We have 2 dinghys depending on the situation. We have an extremely lightweight Seahawk 5 inflatable that collapses down along with paddles, accessories, pumps, patch kits, etc. into a 45L container. We have a small electric motor & motor mount to go along with it. Easy-to-pack, simple to blow up & launch in under 15 minutes. Seats 2 comfortably or 4 for very short trips to shore. Not good for open water, wind, or sharp oyster covered beaches but very easy to carry and store.

We bought the Tobin Sports dinghy (soft hull/aluminum floor) from Costco a couple years ago at a steal-of-a-deal (~$400) and put a 9.9 on it. This is now rigged up with battery, lights, electric start, rod holders and even manual downriggers and we take it sailing up & down the coast. Very ruggedly built (for $400) and great in all conditions. Seats 3 comfortably, and 5 for short trips to shore. Unloaded, without motor one person could manhandle it onto the mothership to deflate and pack up into a 3'x3'x5' roll in under 30 minutes. We prefer to do this at a dock or beach whenever possible, otherwise we just tow it behind us.

View attachment 90857View attachment 90858
Thanks, just bought one of the Tobins from Costco. Seems decent quality and light

just bought a Tobin sports one today at Costco, the cheaper light weight green one, not the traditional looking tender style. I fiqured it’s light and cheap and will work for the amount of times we’ll actually use it. Size to weight ratio was the biggest selling factor for me.

Last edited:
just bought a Tobin sports one today at Costco, the cheaper light weight green one, not the traditional looking tender style. I fiqured it’s light and cheap and will work for the amount of times we’ll actually use it. Size to weight ratio was the biggest selling factor for me.
I've had that same one folded up in the boat, somewhere, since last winter. Seemed like a decent option for emergency clamming.

Back