Inflatable dinghy motor suggestions?

Kita Carol

I have a 7.5' inflatable dinghy on the roof of my 28' Kingfisher, and am considering getting a motor for it as I plan to join a flotilla of boats up to the Broughtons in June and everyone is talking about going ashore to explore various places with their dinghy's. I'm leaning towards electric as it's light, easy to stow, and storage is at a premium in that boat. It's tough enough for me to get the dinghy on and off the roof on my own...
thanks for the ideas!
Carol
Star of the Sea, season 2 on my own!

I would look for a 4 Hp or a 5 Hp 2-stroke....Tohatsu, Nissan, or Yamaha. You didn’t say what inflatable you had or whether it’s an RIB or wood slat bottom but if you’re going to power, a 2 stroke makes more sense then electric in salt water environment

As an aside, the thing that struck me spending a few weeks in the Broughtons is how FEW places there were to go ashore ...... I brought a 10 foot inflatable with an 8 Hp Yamaha with me and didn’t use it that much because there were so few places that I would even call accessible by any boat

Also, rowing an inflatable is easy-peasey...I’ve been boat camping with a dog for several decades all over BC ....always had an inflable to get the dog to shore....I started with an 8 Hp, then went to a 5 Hp, then a 4 Hp, then stopped bringing outboards on the trip —-easier to row and not deal with an outboard on my deck and the strained back of deploying it, especially when in lumpy seas

good luck

Electric will need to charged. Not easy on the hook.
I’d get a 2.5hp 4 stroke short shaft. Lightest motor available, besides a comparable 2 stroke. But only a difference of a few pounds and no oil to mix
Add a bracket on your transom area to mount.
I use a safety lanyard for the transfer stage and in case the clamps let go on the dinghy. So it doesn’t go to Davey Jones Locker.

I have a 7.5' inflatable dinghy on the roof of my 28' Kingfisher, and am considering getting a motor for it as I plan to join a flotilla of boats up to the Broughtons in June and everyone is talking about going ashore to explore various places with their dinghy's. I'm leaning towards electric as it's light, easy to stow, and storage is at a premium in that boat. It's tough enough for me to get the dinghy on and off the roof on my own...
thanks for the ideas!
Carol
Star of the Sea, season 2 on my own!
Get a 4 or 6 hp integral tank. The 2.5hp is too slow. Having a tank or batteries makes things more difficult. Mount the motor on a bracket on the back somewhere for easy on/off

Or like sharphooks said, just row. I only bring the motor on certain trips now.

4-6 hp weigh 55-60 lbs
2.5-3.5 are 37 lbs
The easier it is the more you’ll use it.
Alot depends on inflatable’s floor
Mine is an inflatable floor and has no keel. So it doesn’t track well. Rowing is a PITA. But lighter to get up on the roof. Gotta give to get.

Last edited:
4-6 hp weigh 55-60 lbs
2.3-3-5 are 37 lbs
The easier it is the more you’ll use it.
Alot depends on inflatable’s floor
Mine is an inflatable floor and has no keel. So it doesn’t track well. Rowing is a PITA. But lighter to get up on the roof. Gotta give to get.
Yeah mines not even inflatable, just wood slats and it suuuuuucks.

Get a 4 or 6 hp integral tank. The 2.5hp is too slow. Having a tank or batteries makes things more difficult. Mount the motor on a bracket on the back somewhere for easy on/off

Or like sharphooks said, just row. I only bring the motor on certain trips now.
I have a 6 hp 4 stroke on a 9' inflatable. The dinghy is on davits and the outboard is on a swivel mount. Very quick, easy and convenient.

Our boat is a fishing machine first and a dinghy on davits would get in the way of fishing. But would definitely be way more convenient. Ideally I’d have a 9’ fibreglass hull with a swivel mounted 8-9.9. Then you can rip around and head into port for a beer run.
For a quick trip to shore, on a nice day, I tend to use a paddle board. It’s nice to have options.
The original poster stated they’re putting the boat on the roof and that is hard enough, which I can relate.

Attachments

• F35A1CC5-2D9C-4C3E-BFDE-5CBDBAB56367.jpeg
    F35A1CC5-2D9C-4C3E-BFDE-5CBDBAB56367.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 49
A Suzuki 2.5hp is the lightest out there. It will be plenty for getting to shore but won't get your dinghy on plane, you'll max out at about 6-7mph. A 6hp will be able to get you on plane and up to 15mph+ but we're talking 3 times the weight of the 2.5hp. it really depends on how you intend to use the dinghy. For short trips to shore by yourself the smaller motor will be much easier to handle.

I bought the Suzuki 2.5 last year. Weighs less than 30 lbs and does exactly what I need it to do........just not super fast.

I bought the Suzuki 2.5 last year. Weighs less than 30 lbs and does exactly what I need it to do........just not super fast.
I have the 2.5 merc. On my 8 foot flat bottom we get up to about 3.5MPH and that's full go. My wife and I had no boat for a trip we did out to Pender Harbor a few years back. We did the 2.5 mile run out the harbor to go jig where we were allowed to and it was painfully slow. For a little rip to shore it's great but at that point ores are almost easier. It's a tough call sometimes. I too am a no davit kind of guy. I don't want extra crap hanging off the back of the boat nor do I want my view blocked while I'm backing up.

I have the 2.5 merc. On my 8 foot flat bottom we get up to about 3.5MPH and that's full go. My wife and I had no boat for a trip we did out to Pender Harbor a few years back. We did the 2.5 mile run out the harbor to go jig where we were allowed to and it was painfully slow. For a little rip to shore it's great but at that point ores are almost easier. It's a tough call sometimes. I too am a no davit kind of guy. I don't want extra crap hanging off the back of the boat nor do I want my view blocked while I'm
Ya pretty much use mine for just going to shore. Ideally in the future I can tow a 168 Double eagle for my jigging/crabbing/prawnig.

Ya pretty much use mine for just going to shore. Ideally in the future I can tow a 168 Double eagle for my jigging/crabbing/prawnig.
That's the dream. Mothership with a fishing boat in tow.

I row mine right now but with two young dogs and the Admiral it can be a little harrowing,I do believe it's only rated for a 4 hp,but I guess that's just a suggestion lol,our previous dingy was a 9ft RIB,but I can't shoulder press what I used to be able to I'd say the inflatable keel 7.5 footer I have now seems like at least 75 lbs lighter,so I think a 3.5 or 4 hp 4 stroke would be plenty and I could use it as a back up on bigger lakes to my electric on the tinny.

Last edited:
We have a little 3-person zodiac with an inflatable floor that we use for going to shore and giving the dog a break when we are staying on the hook. It originally came with 2.5 hp Merc with integrated fuel tank, but unfortunately we don't have a convenient place to store the motor that's out of the way when fishing. Tried using just oars, but the tender doesn't track very straight with the inflatable keel which makes for a long row if you are a couple hundred meters from shore.

Ended up getting a Minn Gota riptide and powering it with a group 24 deep cycle battery. Works great. Not fast, but will move the tender along at ~5 kts and get 6+ hrs of run time which is plenty for a two week trip (I bring a charger to top up as well). Quick to set up and easy to store. If I was setting up today I'd probably spend a bit more to get a lithium battery to save on weight. Torqueedo is another electric option, but $$$.

If you want a small HP gas outboard, check out the propane powered ones. You can get 2.5 - 5 hp and they run off either a Coleman bottle or a larger tank.

Our boat is a fishing machine first and a dinghy on davits would get in the way of fishing. But would definitely be way more convenient. Ideally I’d have a 9’ fibreglass hull with a swivel mounted 8-9.9. Then you can rip around and head into port for a beer run.
For a quick trip to shore, on a nice day, I tend to use a paddle board. It’s nice to have options.
The original poster stated they’re putting the boat on the roof and that is hard enough, which I can relate.
This boat looks familiar to me ....nice boat sir!!IMG_1324.jpg

I have the 2.5 merc. On my 8 foot flat bottom we get up to about 3.5MPH and that's full go. My wife and I had no boat for a trip we did out to Pender Harbor a few years back. We did the 2.5 mile run out the harbor to go jig where we were allowed to and it was painfully slow. For a little rip to shore it's great but at that point ores are almost easier. It's a tough call sometimes. I too am a no davit kind of guy. I don't want extra crap hanging off the back of the boat nor do I want my view blocked while I'm backing up.
Are you short, R.C. ? ;)
I look right over our crap and back up with no problem.
:D

Back