Infectious salmon disease would spell big trouble

MILLERTIME

Infectious salmon disease would spell big trouble
D.C. Reid

I would rather go fishing, but spend most weekends reading fish farm science. I do this so I can give you, our readers, better information and informed opinions for you to think about. You, at least, can go fishing on the weekend.
You need to know about Infectious Salmon Anemia. There are two strains in the Atlantic Ocean and used to be zero strains in the Pacific. One Atlantic strain is now in the South Pacific, having been taken there by Norwegian derivative fish farm companies, like Cermaq, Marine Harvest, etc., through their owned-subsidiary Aquagen. If it arrives in B.C., we may watch our native wild salmon go extinct. That is the price we and, in particular, aboriginals may pay
We would lose a great number of grizzly bears, black bears, bald eagles. . . some 37 animal species would be affected; roughly 160 plants.
There is more likely damage to fish. Related anadromous salmonids may well follow salmon: winter-and summer-steelhead, cutthroat trout, Dolly Varden Char, searun brown trout, and then any other trout, kokanee, book trout char, in short, any salmonid in freshwater B.C. that diseased fish come in contact with — and herring, pilchard, etc. If they make it that far. Fraser sockeye are dying in the millions on their way up river from a “viral signature” related disease.
One thing seems clear: pretty much everywhere Norwegian derivative fish farms have gone, ISA has shown up. In Chile, 70 per cent of 800 farms had their Atlantics destroyed, perhaps 560 million fish. Thirteen thousand workers lost their jobs. They had been a largely pre-industrial society, but now, with higher aspirations, are destitute. Sixty-three workers are documented as having died. By comparison, I am only aware of one diver dying here in B.C., and fish farms being fined here and in Scotland, where about a halfdozen workers have died.
Here are the places where farmed Atlantics arrived and ISA broke out: Norway, Scotland, Ireland, the Faroe Islands, Canada — New Brunswick, the United States — only Maine, in the rest of the nation the industry is in its infancy.
At the same time, consumers like you and I, food retailers, like, Safeway, Overwaitea and the rest of the western world’s fish farm industry is moving to on-land, closed-container, recirculating systems because of environmental problems — ISA is only one issue.
My list of mostly onland, closed systems is now up to 22. Increasingly, in-ocean fish raising is being isolated from western farms, markets and consumers. That’s good, but there is one problem: ISA may already be in B.C.
There is the midnineties email exchange, one provincial ministry refusing to give information to another. There is Kristy Miller DFO researcher pointing to a “viral signature” in declining Fraser sockeye. Add another 20 suspected sites in Chile — and to make you weep: another 3,000 applications for pristine Patagonia water, much like the Clayoquot United Nations Biosphere Plover Point application.

There is B.C. data that judge Cohen refused public access to recently. Some leaked and several presses reported 35 suspect B.C. results. The issue of fish farm diseases, and there are dozens of viral and bacterial salmon infections, will be discussed in August. They will try to keep the Chile, and other nations, data from the public.

Good on D.C. Reid, and many kudo's to Alexandra Morton and the good work she is doing in uncovering the deceit and corruption in this polluting, dangerous industry!

We need to keep vigilant on this issue if we are to even hope to keep this disease from spreading here. If it does.... I can't even imagine how bad it could be....

My reading is that it is already here.
The "powers that be" have not got a grip on how to tell the public yet.
The blame pre-game is being developed and will need to be put into action.
Retired folks need to be chosen and lawyers will need to be consulted.
My guess is winter of 2012.

My disclaimer is that I have no inside info or any proof.
I base my opinion that every where fish farms are, they get ISA.
What makes BC so special that we are immune to this virus.
GLG

ISA is a "virus," it mutates!

It has already been found in Pacific salmon (e.g. Chinook and Coho), along with the trout family!

This is aweful news guys. I was totally unaware and now even more vengeful, and spiteful when it comes to the damn fish farmers. There really is no reason to not have them on inland processing plants as opposed to wreaking havoc on the environment. Sadly that contaminated water will have to go somewhere at some point and cause just as much damage if not more to freshwater ecosystems.

It never ceases to amazes me how people can rant and ***** about the air quality they have to breath meanwhile ignoring the quality of food they serve on the table. The drug company that gives these same farmed salmon hatcheries a pesticide to reduce the number of sea lice on them, has the right not to share its chemical composition and has somehow managed to attain FDA approval. These drugs have to be prescribed by a licensed Veterinarian, so therefor it is chemically unsafe in some form, and its used incorrectly as the sea lice in europe have adapted and are immune. So what are the chances this anemia strain could have been introduced by some unintentional/uneducated means?

Were just fortunate that the idiots havent figured out that if they put organic/fair trade stickers on the farmed salmon it would fly off the shelves... I guess the govt just hasn't played that card yet haha.

This is aweful news guys. I was totally unaware and now even more vengeful, and spiteful when it comes to the damn fish farmers. There really is no reason to not have them on inland processing plants as opposed to wreaking havoc on the environment. Sadly that contaminated water will have to go somewhere at some point and cause just as much damage if not more to freshwater ecosystems.

It never ceases to amazes me how people can rant and ***** about the air quality they have to breath meanwhile ignoring the quality of food they serve on the table. The drug company that gives these same farmed salmon hatcheries a pesticide to reduce the number of sea lice on them, has the right not to share its chemical composition and has somehow managed to attain FDA approval. These drugs have to be prescribed by a licensed Veterinarian, so therefor it is chemically unsafe in some form, and its used incorrectly as the sea lice in europe have adapted and are immune. So what are the chances this anemia strain could have been introduced by some unintentional/uneducated means?

Were just fortunate that the idiots havent figured out that if they put organic/fair trade stickers on the farmed salmon it would fly off the shelves... I guess the govt just hasn't played that card yet haha.

Well, I haven't checked lately... but, last time I did, SLICE was NOT FDA approved for the use in "farmed salmon". They have/had/do? use(d)it in Maine. (Can you say Marine Harvest & ISA outbreak in the same sentence?) They are also doing studies on it as we speak, but again, i DO NOT believe that drug has been approved for the use of farmed salmon?

Tou are right, Charlie. From an April 2011 US Government Accountability Office report to Congress (http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d11286.pdf): "However, some drugs that remain unapproved by FDA, such as emamectin benzoate and oxolinic acid, may be used in aquaculture by other countries." Health Canada has given approval based on the manufacturer's test results that were not made publicly available. However, it is still up to the FDA to test for residues in these imports. The report says the FDA isn't doing a good job.

No worries though, most sea lice in the Atlantic and South Pacific (Chile) are already resistant to SLICE and farmers there are moving on to more powerful drugs (AlphaMax) in their arsenal to escalate the chemical warfare against pests that was inevitable from the beginning. BC fish farmers are also pushing hard on the regulators to approve other drugs so that SLICE resistance doesn't happen here and they can keep it in their rotation.

ISA is a "virus," it mutates!

It has already been found in Pacific salmon (e.g. Chinook and Coho), along with the trout family!

Got a link to read for me Charlie?

I know Americans are tired of being the policemen of the world and I don't blame you. But if you think the Canadian government is going to do anything about this problem you are sorely mistaken. It has been obvious for some time that our politicians and our Department Of Fisheries And Oceans is in the back pocket of these Norwegian fish farms.
I encourage all Americans on this forum to raise the alarm and make sure that your politicians are aware of this impending disaster.
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif

I know Americans are tired of being the policemen of the world and I don't blame you. But if you think the Canadian government is going to do anything about this problem you are sorely mistaken. It has been obvious for some time that our politicians and our Department Of Fisheries And Oceans is in the back pocket of these Norwegian fish farms.
I encourage all Americans on this forum to raise the alarm and make sure that your politicians are aware of this impending disaster.
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif

Canada is NOT going to do ****, except kill off ALL YOUR Pacific salmon, if YOU let them! They have pretty much made that clear... and "YOU," ARE LETTING THEM! You Canucks ALL really need to jump on that Alex Morton band wagon, even though she was originally a Yank! :)

If you read the report cuttlefish referred - closely, it will indicate why the U.S. isn't going there! The only States that even care about west coast Pacific salmon are Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and Alaska! How do you think their politicians will fare in DC when everyone (including Canada) brings up and uses the words - Canada, largest trade partner, largest importer, and... "largest oil importer" to the U.S?
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d11286.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
You are referring to ISA in Chinook and Coho, right? How many links would you like? ISA was actually fisrt discovered (by DFO) in Chinook in 1998, determined to be ISA in 1999. Can you say, Chinook, " new condition termed "hemorrhagic kidney syndrome,” and ISA in the same sentence? Coho was Chile in 2001. About the best to read is:

International Response
to Infectious Salmon
Anemia: Prevention,
Control, and Eradication
Issued April 2003

Infectious salmon anemia (ISA) is a highly infectious viral disease that causes acute mortality principally among Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). The cause of ISA is an orthomyxolike enveloped virus that replicates throughout most host tissues, including midkidney, head kidney, liver, spleen, intestine, gills, muscle, and heart. The virus is cultured in Atlantic salmon head kidney (SHK–1) cells, in the Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) embryo (CHSE–214) cell line, and within the TO cell line developed from head kidney leucocytes. Clinical signs of the disease may include pale gills, ascites, liver congestion, enlarged spleen, petechial hemorrhages within visceral fat, congestion of the gut, and severe anemia. The disease is pronounced in the marine environment, where it is most often transmitted by cohabitation with infected live salmon, infected biological materials, or contaminated equipment. Control of ship and personnel movements among infected sites, destruction of infected lots, and the closure and fallowing of virus-contaminated areas may be used to reduce the likelihood of further spread of the disease.

[Inserted - our answer to ISA is simple - KILL THEM ALL. Google ISA outbreak Maine. Just might be why Marine Harvest sold their fish farms in Maine?]

More recently, it has been determined that the long-established CHSE–214 cell line (Lannan et al. 1984) from chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tsawytscha) embryo (Bouchard et al. 1999, Lovely et al. 1999) and the AS cell line (Nicholson and Byrne 1973) derived from the visceral organs of Atlantic salmon (Sommer and Mennen 1997) also supported the replication of ISAv. However, viral production and cytopathic effect (CPE) in these cell lines is too variable for routine use.

Infectious salmon anemia (ISA) is a highly infectious disease of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) that was first reported in Norwegian aquaculture facilities. The disease has since been described among premarket Atlantic salmon in Scotland (Bricknell et al. 1998), New Brunswick, Canada (Lovely et al. 1999, Jones et al. 1999a), the United Kingdom (Rodger et al. 1999), the Cobscook Bay region of Maine (Bouchard et al. 2001), and in the Faroe Islands (Anonymous 2000). The virus that causes ISA has also been detected among coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) in Chile (Kibenge et al. 2001). In Canada, the disease was first characterized as a new condition termed “hemorrhagic kidney syndrome” or HKS (Byrne et al. 1998). The pathology of HKS was later shown to be caused by ISAv (Bouchard et al. 1999, Lovely et al. 1999), although laboratory confirmation of ISA virus (ISAv) was initially complicated by dual isolation of that virus and a nonpathogenic Toga-like virus from HKS samples (Kibenge et al. 2000a).

[Yep, you just read that right, "In Canada" "HKS" "1998"! Yep, "they" have known it since 1999.]

The rapid invasion of ISAv into three bays within New Brunswick and its subsequent spread among 21 farms (Bouchard et al. 1998) indicate the severe nature of the threat that ISA represents for Atlantic salmon aquaculture. Furthermore, the annual cost of ISA outbreaks among farmed fish in 1999 was reported, in U.S. dollars, to be $11 million in Norway and $14 million in Canada. The 1998–99 epidemics in Scotland were valued at a cost of $32 million (Hastings et al. 1999). Although epizootics of ISA have been specifically associated with cultured salmon (Department of Fisheries and Oceans [DFO]—Canada), biologists have also detected the presence of ISAv among Atlantic salmon populations that are wild or have escaped from aquaculture operations at the Magaguadavic River fish trap (Bay of Fundy, NB). In addition to Atlantic and Chinook salmon, the pathogen infects, but has not produced disease in, freshwater brown trout (Salmo trutta) (Nylund et al. 1995a), sea trout (S. trutta) (Nylund and Jakobsen 1995), and rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) (Nylund et al. 1997). Although the virus has been detected in saithe (Pollachius virens), it is unable to replicate in such hosts (Raynard et al. 2001).

The cause of ISA is an enveloped virus 45–140 nm in diameter (Dannevig et al. 1995b) with a buoyant density 1.18 g/mL in sucrose and cesium chloride gradients. It shows maximum replication at 15 oC but strongly reduced replication at 25 oC (Falk et al. 1997). The virus may be cultured in the SHK–1 cell derived from Atlantic salmon pronephros cells and produces variable cytopathic effects (CPE) between 3 and 12 days after inoculation (Dannevig et al. 1995a,b; Kibenge et al. 2000b). The ISAv also replicates and produces CPE within the Atlantic salmon head kidney (ASK) cell line developed by Devold et al. (2000) and the TO cell line developed from Atlantic salmon head kidney leukocytes by Wergeland and Jakobsen (2001). Some, but not all, strains of ISAv will also replicate in Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) embryo (CHSE–214) cells and produce CPE between 4 and 17 days after inoculation (Kibenge et al. 2000b). The virus also replicates within, but does not produce distinct CPE in, the AS cell line (Sommer and Mennen 1997). Growth is inhibited by actinomycin D but not by 5–bromo–2–deoxyuridine (Sommer and Mennen 1997, Falk et al. 1997), and the virus is most closely related to other orthomyxoviruses (Mjaaland et al. 1997, Krossøy et al. 1999, Sandvik et al. 2000). Four major polypeptides are evident with estimated molecular sizes of 71, 53, 43, and 24 kDa (Falk et al.1997).

[Now... here is one for you. I would take the following with some salt and I personally do NOT give this much credibility... a LOT of unanswered questions!]

Ms. Jill Rolland
USDA–APHIS, Veterinary Services Riverdale, MD

On the west coast of the United States, where we have quite a bit of Atlantic salmon aquaculture in addition to five native species of Pacific salmon, many people are interested to know if our Pacific salmon stocks will be at risk should infectious salmon anemia make its way to the west coast. The U.S. Geological Survey’s lab in Seattle is fortunate to have a BL-3 lab, a biosafety level 3 containment lab, which allows us to work with exotic pathogens. This enabled us to perform experiments testing the susceptibility of Pacific salmonids to the ISA virus. The species used in our experiments were chum, chinook, coho, and sockeye and for a positive control we used Atlantic salmon, which were flown in from the east coast. Two strains of ISAv were used, the North American strain CCBB and the Norwegian strain Bremnes.

The experiment was split into two trials. The first trial was carried out in the fall using three different viral doses of the Bremnes strain. During the experimental period, we sampled the mortalities for virus isolation and histopathology in addition to random samples taken from all species at specified time intervals.

The mortality rate in the Atlantic salmon was lower than expected, so we began a second trial in February. As only a limited number of fish remained, we limited our trial to using only one dose of virus, a high dose, and we used both the north American and Bremnes strains of virus. Again, we sampled both mortalities and took random samples throughout the experimental period.

In both trials, all Pacific salmon mortalities occurred within 2 days after experimental challenge. These fish had no signs of disease, as expected, and probably died from stress related to the challenge. The Atlantic salmon positive controls had low-level mortality in trial 1, but mortality reached 96 to 100 percent in trial 2. Therefore, it would seem that Pacific salmonid species are relatively resistant to ISAv as compared to Atlantic salmon. [But wait - ALL the Pacific salmonid DIED] Whether or not these species can function as carriers and whether or not the virus is able to replicate in these species was not determined, nor was it the goal of this study. Instead we were attempting to answer the question of whether or not Pacific salmon are susceptible to the disease ISA, and based on our laboratory study, it would seem Pacific salmonids are resistant. [Wondering if she bothered to read about effects of what was known as "HKS" (also now known as ISA, in those "1998" and "1999" studies?] We were able to get some low-level titers from some of the Pacific salmon at different time points, and whether we’re reisolating a virus that we had already injected or we’re actually seeing virus replication has not been determined.

[Please note “all Pacific salmon mortalities occurred within 2 day after experimental challenge”. Meaning the fish – DIED after two days?

In this very same report and I do quote, “Drawbacks to cell culture include the maintenance of cell lines, the incubation timelag to initial observation of cytopathic effects (as much as to 21 days), the interpretation of questionable cytopathic effects, and the additional steps involved in confirming cytopathic effects attributable to ISAv using RT–PCR confirmation. Nonetheless, cell culture for ISAv is generally acknowledged as the standard against which other assays are judged. The potential for false-negative results exists when using any of these three lines individually, but false positives are fewer when used in combination.” Thinking, she has to know a guy by the name of Bemish? ]
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/aquaculture/downloads/isa-proceedings.pdf

Many of us on this site myself included have been on the Alex bandwagon for many years now Charlie. Regrettably not everyone here feels inclined to support her for various reasons.

Yesterday I registered on the largest Alaskan sports fishing forum and transferred the article by Mr. Reid exactly as it appears here without any personal comment to see if people in Alaska are aware of this problem. At worst I was expecting that the thread or posts would be ignored but instead I find that my account has been banned due to spamming.

I can only conclude that the powers that be behind that forum do not wish their members to be aware of this problem.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/profile.php?do=dst

Here in Canada the polticians are continually trying to "dumb us down" with fluff-ridden b.s.

They would like it if Canadians were always nice....polite.....never a bad word to say about anything.

They want us to be reknowned for being "nice"....and...."harmless".

That way those with the big money...meaning big corporations and rich families..... can get away with anything they want.

Just follow the money.

If you really knew what was going on behind closed corporate doors in this country..and elsewhere....you'd probably want to revolt.

They don't want us to revolt.....that is why they "dumb us down" with carefully prepped spin-doctors and "liason personnel" every single day.

Thank heaven for Investigative Journalism.....we don't live in a democracy...we live in a "Bullshitocracy".

The Ontario Supreme Court ruled that you cannot sue a politician for lying.

Promise the world to get elected..and then do whatever you want once your in.

Back