Inboard Motor Oil

Red Monster

Do you really need to use the expensive marine synthetic motor oil? Or is the automotive synthetic oil fine too?

And maybe folks have any thoughts on the use of oil additives to inboard motor oil? My motor is an '87 Volvo with a a Holley carb.

Thanks

I asked the same question before with the new engine red and the marine oil from what I was told has different additives for the constant steady rpms etc I use the sierra brand 4 stroke oil comes in a 4 litre jug I believe its 10-40W and its only a few dollars more so its not all that bad of a hit for something that you only change 2 times a year... I change mine every 100 hours.

good luck Wolf

Okay, thanks for that. I'll go with the marine oil but maybe not the really expensive Mercury oil.

Okay, should I run full synthetic oil? I think Sierra only sells 10/30 in full synthetic.

Sierra has a 25/40 in synthetic blend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Red I use the sierra brand works great...just picked up 2 juggs the other day to do an oil change .

wolf

Good choice. The marine oils have a different set of additives than comparable weighted automotive oils, of which I'm not fully clear on the differences, but I do know this: My boat engine is revving way higher and with more load than what my truck engine is typically dealing with. Due to the added punishment this causes on marine engines, I've always just used what the manufacturer recommends as they endure hard hours. And like Wolf says, it's not a big deal in the long run when you're only changing oil every so often.

I was able to order a jug of Sierra oil at good price so I'm good to go.

Back