Importing a boat & trailer from the US

Slacker

Hi Folks, I'm looking at heading down to the States and importing a boat & trailer out of Washington.
I'm not concerned about the boat. However, I have some worries in regards to getting the trailer across the border - It's a 1998 King twin axle trailer.
The seller has separate titles for the boat and trailer. Unfortunately, the manufacturer label on the trailer (VIN/GVWR etc...) has faded over the years and is unreadable. I contacted King Trailers (out of Seattle) to see if they could get me another label - They said no, but they did send me an email with the necessary info -GVRW/Model/No recalls etc... I'm not sure this is going to satisfy the Canadian Border folks. From what I've read in a variety of other forums - I'm pretty sure I need a physical VIN on the trailer somewhere.

I figured there would be a secondary label or stamp somewhere on the trailer - the folks @ King Trailers says they didn't have multiple labels during manufacturing at that time. I asked the seller to comb over the trailer - he wasn't able to locate any other labels/VIN #'s.

As well, I contacted RIV (they didn't seem to care too much - trailer is over 15 yrs old). I contacted CBSA they told me to contact RIV.

If anyone has some insight - please reach out!

Cheers.

Hi Folks, I'm looking at heading down to the States and importing a boat & trailer out of Washington.
I'm not concerned about the boat. However, I have some worries in regards to getting the trailer across the border - It's a 1998 King twin axle trailer.
The seller has separate titles for the boat and trailer. Unfortunately, the manufacturer label on the trailer (VIN/GVWR etc...) has faded over the years and is unreadable. I contacted King Trailers (out of Seattle) to see if they could get me another label - They said no, but they did send me an email with the necessary info -GVRW/Model/No recalls etc... I'm not sure this is going to satisfy the Canadian Border folks. From what I've read in a variety of other forums - I'm pretty sure I need a physical VIN on the trailer somewhere.

I figured there would be a secondary label or stamp somewhere on the trailer - the folks @ King Trailers says they didn't have multiple labels during manufacturing at that time. I asked the seller to comb over the trailer - he wasn't able to locate any other labels/VIN #'s.

As well, I contacted RIV (they didn't seem to care too much - trailer is over 15 yrs old). I contacted CBSA they told me to contact RIV.

Cheers.
PM @ Rayvon as he has done this in the past

I bought my 2459 in Everett in 2015. I had separate titles when I came back and all they wanted at the border was the tax, they didn't even come out and look at the boat and trailer

Cheers.
I imported a boat and trailer about 8 years ago now and had issues similar to you with the trailer. In my case, the trailer was nearly new but the vin and the vin written on title were off by one number. It was a mistake made at the factory . This can usually be resolved by the manufacturer but in my case the company went under. It wasn’t an issue at the border whatsoever but it became an issue once I had completed all the inspections and went to ICBC. Because the trailer is imported, they apparently had to visually confirm the vin on the trailer matches the title. The first two places both caught it and refused to go any further. I finally just hit that one number with a hammer and it was enough that the next place overlooked it and I was in the clear.
Keep in mind this was 8 years ago now but if they still operate the same way, I think you may have some issues.

There should be a deed for the trailer. Make sure you have something like a copy of a Craigslist add to verify the price you paid and get a receipt showing the prices listed separately for trailer, boat, engine and any accessories included in the deal. You will pay taxes at the border but no duties. Hopefully the trailer is old enough so you don't have to do the Canadian Tire safety inspection which is just a money grab.

I had the same problem,no stamps or tags on the trailer and manufacturer had gone out of business.You have to contact RIV and then have Can.Tire put a new tag on.It took about 2 weeks to get it all organized.You won't have any trouble at the border if you do as others have said.Split up the values and you only pay tax on the boat.

I bought a number and letter stamp. Took a hammer and tapped the Vin right onto the trailer. Worked perfect. ICBC looked at it and all was good.
Exactly. Why complicate things. I did the same on a trailer from a broker in N. Carolina. ICBC is a bureaucracy that has to tick all the boxes. This just helps them to do that. Hammering numbers into galvanized or aluminum is easy and better than any sticker.

I could see mine on my king trailer but only if I used a flashlight to show it at a specific angle. I had the manufacturer recall letter from king trailers. It was 2006. I had an insurance guy fight the Canadian tire manager, by contacting ICBC to get my approval. Not sure if the insurance guy still works there but he was great. https://goo.gl/maps/zXqrtT43pMA2oZT98

If I was to do it again I would buy the boat separately and put the trailer on consignment down in the US, that way you don't have to pay taxes on it and buy a new trailer here. I sunk over 3k in maintenance and taxes into a trailer I sold for only a few hundred more. How heavy is the boat? I wanted EOH hydraulic disc brake and needed at least Electric to be legal.

I could see mine on my king trailer but only if I used a flashlight to show it at a specific angle. I had the manufacturer recall letter from king trailers. It was 2006. I had an insurance guy fight the Canadian tire manager, by contacting ICBC to get my approval. Not sure if the insurance guy still works there but he was great. https://goo.gl/maps/zXqrtT43pMA2oZT98

If I was to do it again I would buy the boat separately and put the trailer on consignment down in the US, that way you don't have to pay taxes on it and buy a new trailer here. I sunk over 3k in maintenance and taxes into a trailer I sold for only a few hundred more. How heavy is the boat? I wanted EOH hydraulic disc brake and needed at least Electric to be legal.
Thanks for the info - Boat specs indicate a weight of 3900lbs - GVRW on the King Trailer is 5700lbs (2600kg).

I bought my 2459 in Everett in 2015. I had separate titles when I came back and all they wanted at the border was the tax, they didn't even come out and look at the boat and trailer
Haha...geez...that seems like the optimal scenario!

There should be a deed for the trailer. Make sure you have something like a copy of a Craigslist add to verify the price you paid and get a receipt showing the prices listed separately for trailer, boat, engine and any accessories included in the deal. You will pay taxes at the border but no duties. Hopefully the trailer is old enough so you don't have to do the Canadian Tire safety inspection which is just a money grab.
Yup - I've got all that info and details - I contacted RIV about the trailer - they don't care about it - it's older than 15 yrs. My understanding, is I don't have to do the C-tire money grab.

Hi Folks - just a quick update - completed my boat import - I ended up snagging a Pursuit Denali 2260 - The process was pretty seamless - Just a couple of tidbits - for the Canadian side of Customs -

-Make sure you fill out your ArriveCan app (easily downloaded - fill it out 3 days or less prior to arriving at your point of entry - I went through Blaine - not Peace Arch
-Ensure your documentation is in order! Bills of sale/Titles/copy of the ad/email discussions with seller/RIV stuff

If anyone has any questions about the process - feel free to reach out!

Thanks for everyone's input here!

Attachments

• #albion.PNG
    #albion.PNG
    319 KB · Views: 55
Back