Important Victoria & Area SFAB Halibut Mtg Nov. 27

929F4892-3627-4CF8-9165-DF6FE33B1AF3.png

Fishing solo...the ferries have been here since before this problem began ...and another reason why I firmly believe noise isn't why these whales are in decline. It is a harder to find food supply (especially in winter off Oregon and Cali where K &L pods go), toxins making them sick and in breeding within a small population...and in that order. The rest is fluff to make the government look like they are doing something. Including the closures...and be honest the 400 m bubble is no different just swapping optics from a closure to a bubble. I do think the bubblw will achieve a quieter environment for the whales as it wouldn't be restricted to a few small ares on the coast...it could be coast wide. But neither the closed areas or the bubble will do anything to solve this problem. More fish will.

I assume we have all watched the PSF video in regards to Chinook, Seals, and Orcas? I cannot believe the traction that this movement has gained based on misleading and incorrect information. Here’s the chart from that video in regards to the SRKW population. Like the tides we fish, there is an ebb and a flood to sustainable population of these animals, it’s normal. How was the Chinook population in the 70s? 80s? Were our shipping exports more than today? Were the fish all too small for the SRKW to eat? Oh wait, those were the “good old days” where limits were easy and tyees were the norm. Combine that with the fact that northern resident population is the strongest it’s ever been. It’s all a bunch of ********, there are other factors at play here and limiting our fishing opportunities with a shotgun approach isn’t the answer.

If you control the language, you control the argument
If you control the argument, you control information
If you control information, you control history
If you control history, you control the past
He who controls the past controls the future.

– George Orwell 1984

View attachment 41692

I assume we have all watched the PSF video in regards to Chinook, Seals, and Orcas? I cannot believe the traction that this movement has gained based on misleading and incorrect information. Here’s the chart from that video in regards to the SRKW population. Like the tides we fish, there is an ebb and a flood to sustainable population of these animals, it’s normal. How was the Chinook population in the 70s? 80s? Were our shipping exports more than today? Were the fish all too small for the SRKW to eat? Oh wait, those were the “good old days” where limits were easy and tyees were the norm. Combine that with the fact that northern resident population is the strongest it’s ever been. It’s all a bunch of ********, there are other factors at play here and limiting our fishing opportunities with a shotgun approach isn’t the answer.

You also have to remember that their rapid decline in the mid 60's was do to capture and they still managed to rebuild to a all time high in the mid 90's. Not all were SRKW but still a big hit to the Killer Whale population.

North Eastern Pacific captures

The first capture in the North Eastern Pacific occurred in November 1961. A collecting crew from Marineland of the Pacific in Los Angeles, took the 5.2 m (17 ft) orca to a tank at the aquarium, where she repeatedly crashed into the walls. She was named Wanda and died the following day.[10][11] The next killer whale captured, Moby Doll, had been harpooned and shot in 1964 and survived for three months when brought back for display to Vancouver, British Columbia.[12] The third capture for display occurred in June 1965 when William Lechkobit found a 22-foot (6.7m) male orca in his floating salmon net that had drifted close to shore near Namu, British Columbia. The killer whale was sold for $8,000 to Ted Griffin, a Seattle public aquarium owner. Named after his place of capture, Namu was the subject of a film that changed some people's attitudes toward orcas.[13]

In October 1965, Shamu, a very young, 14 foot (4.25m), 2000 lb (900 kg) Southern Resident orca was captured by Ted Griffin off Penn Cove, Puget Sound to be a companion for the orca Namu at Griffin's Seattle public aquarium.[14][15][16] Her name means ‘Friend of Namu’[17] (alternately 'She-Namu').[18] However, Shamu did not get along with Namu and so was sold to SeaWorld in San Diego in December 1965.[19][20]

During the 1960s and early 1970s, nearly 50 killer whales were taken from Pacific waters for exhibition. The Southern Resident community of the Northeast Pacific lost 48 of its members to captivity. By 1976, only 80 killer whales were left in the community, which remains endangered. With subsequent captures, the theme parks learned more about avoiding injury during capture and subsequent care of killer whales, and discovered that they could be trained to perform tricks, making them a great attraction to visitors. As commercial demand increased, growing numbers of Pacific orcas were captured, peaking in 1970.[21]

A turning point came with a mass capture of orcas from the L-25 pod in August 1970 at Penn Cove, Puget Sound off the coast of Washington. The Penn Cove capture became controversial due to the large number of wild killer whales that were taken (seven) and the number of deaths that resulted: four juveniles died, as well as one adult female who drowned when she became tangled in a net while attempting to reach her calf. In his interview for the CNN documentary Blackfish, former diver John Crowe told how all five of the whales had their abdomen slit open and filled with rocks, their tails weighted down with anchors and chains, in an attempt to conceal the deaths.[22] The facts surrounding their deaths were discovered three months later after three of the dead whales washed ashore on Whidbey Island. Public concern about the welfare of the animals and the effect of captures on the wild pods led to the Marine Mammal Protection Act being passed in 1972 by the US Congress, protecting orcas from being harassed or killed, and requiring special permits for capture. Since then, few wild orcas have been captured in Northeastern Pacific waters.[23][24]

Lolita, originally known as Tokitae, was a survivor of the Penn Cove captures. She was about six years old at time of capture and is now the oldest captive killer whale. Lolita is the subject of the documentary Lolita: Slave to Entertainment, released in 2008.[25] Various groups still argue that Lolita should be released into the wild.[

But all and all fairly civil and no need for the mods to shut it down...lets carry on! LOL

Will be interesting to say the least, Most of the minutes for the various SFAC have been posted. 1 daily, 1 possession full year or shortened season seems to be the 2 prefered option most people want.

“Most people”? From my count, most of those meetings were attended by less than 7 people, that’s like a fraction of a percent of saltwater rec anglers’ “wants” represented. For what it’s worth.

Cheers!

Ukee

“Most people”? From my count, most of those meetings were attended by less than 7 people, that’s like a fraction of a percent of saltwater rec anglers’ “wants” represented. For what it’s worth.
Cheers!
Ukee

For what it's worth, “Most people” includes me and at least a dozen of the guys who fish the South Island that I know.
I do apologize, none of these guys were at the meeting.

So you agree?

Works for us....but every area is different and you are not going to keep everyone happy.
I think the problem of getting Sport Fishermen united and motivated is what is good for Haida Gwaii, Port Hardy, Winter Harbor, Campbell River, Nanaimo, Renfrew, or Victoria are all so very different.
And then you have fishing guides, avid sport fishers, novice and occasional fishers, all with different opinions.

An August closure was brought up as an alternative if season needs to be shortened. Must say there were compelling arguments for this for many in this room. Will be interesting if it comes to this kind of a discussion at some point.

From two meetings I went to. Largest sized fish and shortened season at beginning were pretty unanimous.

Shortened season at beginning gets an extra 4-5cm on max size if I remember right (can look again when I find the paper).

Still pushing for giving anglers an option of 1/1 OR 1/2 (1/1 133cm or 1/2 80cm/118cm) for example. Best option in my opinion.

From two meetings I went to. Largest sized fish and shortened season at beginning were pretty unanimous.
Shortened season at beginning gets an extra 4-5cm on max size if I remember right (can look again when I find the paper).
Still pushing for giving anglers an option of 1/1 OR 1/2 (1/1 133cm or 1/2 80cm/118cm) for example. Best option in my opinion.

A later start to the season would not work for those of us who fish halibut in Sidney and Victoria.
The dog fish move in around the end of April and that pretty much takes ALL the pleasure out of fishing Halibut!
Have to wonder how you would feel about larger size and a shut down before the end of July?

Popular season to fish everywhere on the coast minus Victoria is June to Sept Long weekend, so having those open are priorities to me. I'd be happy with a May 1 to Oct 31 season. Or even April 1 to appease Victoria a bit. 99% of angler fishing licenses purchased are used June 1 to Sept 1 so that should be the most important, as greatest good for greatest number is what we have to look at.

I'd be happy with a May 1 to Oct 31 season. Or even April 1 to appease Victoria a bit.

I generally get my halibut in March fishing exclusively around the Victoria area. An April 1 opening to appease Victoria as you put it would be very unpopular.
I think you will find the stats support an early opening Coast Wide because there is only a very small percentage of the overall quota taken in March and April.
The people who take the largest piece of quota are guides with their parties fishing north and west starting May 1st, peaking in July and August.

Is it possible to have a early opening and early close for South Island and late open and close for north? Or does that really screw things up

Good topic. This is how we voted in Area 17 to give you an example. If you guys want to see some of the voting it's listed in area minutes from each area in their minutes posted on this forum.

These early openings that South island wanted was mentioned at our meeting. I posted these not to get trampled on just to give you what we did to make it transparent as possible. I generally fish halibut in are 19 in March/April myself and hear you on early season.

Please note we up here did broadcast about the meeting across social media, and here to get people to come and vote. As you can see this is a 80% primary vote which are general anglers.

These SFAB notes from Oct. 25th are also posted up below and our SFAC 17 Facebook social media page.

slide1.1.JPG

slide1.2.JPG

Last edited:
Is it possible to have a early opening and early close for South Island and late open and close for north? Or does that really screw things up

I asked that question at last meeting maybe searun can chime in. I believe the issue comes in as we are a mobile group and effort just switches into other areas.

Back