Important to thank DFO for helping SVI Get Zone 2 Fraser Chinook Regs

Thanks DFO! So I was checking the regs and they are pretty complicated to figure out. According to this table, the season for Chinook ended March 31? And what is a "slot fishery?"

Maybe I'll try answer my own questions:
1. Season is until March 31 2015, so in season all year.
2. Slot is the min size, but this is where the regs are confusing. In some sub areas on some days there is also a max length that only one of two chinook can be bigger... uh... ok.

the latest Chinook regs are as follows for area 19/20

2- Springs per day
1 of which may be over 67cm, the other must be between 45-67cm
they can be wild or hatchery marked.

I don't think that applies to all of area 19. Area 19-5 and up still has a minimum of 62 cm. Not sure why, but half of area 19 continues to have stricter regs than the area 19 off Victoria. I'd be OK with this is someone could explain why?

I don't think that applies to all of area 19. Area 19-5 and up still has a minimum of 62 cm. Not sure why, but half of area 19 continues to have stricter regs than the area 19 off Victoria. I'd be OK with this is someone could explain why?

you're right should have noted "Cadboro point to Sheringham"

North of Cadboro Point has had a minimum size limit of 62 cm for years. It was originally implemented to protect small Nooksack Chinook and has been left in place to protect Cowichan Chinook.

I guess then the Cowichan Springs don't come down the strait of Juan de Fuca? If they do it seems strange to me that after facing the heaviest pressure, concern for the stock kicks in after they pass through the hardest fished area. I think DFO needs to look at this.

Scenario. I bonk one wild 30 pounder off Vic waterfront. My second fish, hatchery or not, cannot exceed 67? This is what I read. Is this your guys' interpretation?

I am thankful to be able to bonk one over 85 but I will thank SVIAC for that. :)

You have it right. One fish wild or hatchery no upper slot...the other wild or hatchery under 67cm. This until the 17th of July if memory serves me right and then back to any 2 Chinook with just minimum size limit.

Back