Important Chinook Information - Feedback Required

Just for the record, was out on the fraser for walk with my dog, and of course what do i see, small tin boat netting the reminder of the early chinook in da fraser, off topic a bit but part of our big problem

Just for the record, was out on the fraser for walk with my dog, and of course what do i see, small tin boat netting the reminder of the early chinook in da fraser, off topic a bit but part of our big problem

I don’t think it is any secret where these fish are actually caught.

Next time take pictures imo, this is the year everyone needs to be accountable.

Next time take pictures imo, this is the year everyone needs to be accountable.
Sorry if i sound like i dont give a ****, but i been walking the river,for the last 25 years, i live 5 min away from derbie reach, and i see it all the time over and over so kind of gave up on it a long time ago, i used to get mad and confront them and all i got was death threat lol

Sorry if i sound like i dont give a ****, but i been walking the river,for the last 25 years, i live 5 min away from derbie reach, and i see it all the time over and over so kind of gave up on it a long time ago, i used to get mad and confront them and all i got was death threat lol
Call it in so its documented. Here's the Observe, Record and Report number for DFO 1-800-465-4336.

I get it, that's just the way its always been. But now this year there's a lot of Canadians who could be in big trouble if rec gets shut down, so cheating the rules is a big deal. If the public is concerned enough to agree to shut down rec, they should be concerned about what happens in river as well. Turning a blind eye to the issue should no longer be acceptable.

Time to start taking videos of this **** that’s going on..... post on social media etc....walking by doing nothing isn’t the answer either

I get it, that's just the way its always been. But now this year there's a lot of Canadians who could be in big trouble if rec gets shut down, so cheating the rules is a big deal. If the public is concerned enough to agree to shut down rec, they should be concerned about what happens in river as well. Turning a blind eye to the issue should no longer be acceptable.
problem is they already know what goes on,and do sweet nothing never have never never will.i will try to get pics of them working the nets.they been netting the early chinook in that river forever,i am sure If I drive up to yale,they have nets at all the rivers mouth and creeks,the fish shoot up the creeks to get out of the current and silt from the high water and swim right in their nets its been going on for years

As many of you might know, the Raincoast Conservation Foundation is hosting a meeting where some of the focus will be on closing down the South Coast Chinook Fishery. There will be a protest in support of our fishery at the event. I am including a copy of the ad so that you can see what they are going to be addressing .
Please try to come, the more people who show, the bigger the message to Ottawa will be. I am thinking we should be outside of the Sunset Labs by 6:15 Please be respectful of their opinions and don't get into public name calling as the media will seize on this and try to use it against us

Home // What's new // Events //

Panel: the future of killer whale recovery
Join us this April, in Victoria or online, for an expert panel and discussion.

Published on 2019 · 03 · 12 by Raincoast

future-of-killer-whales-02.6.jpg

Join us this April, either in person or on online, as we discuss the challenges ahead in the recovery of the endangered Southern Resident killer whales.

With the Southern Resident population now at only 75 individuals, their survival is clearly threatened under current conditions. Additional noise from vessel traffic, further reductions in food availability, or random events such as disease and oil spills would significantly increase their risk of extinction. Our research has helped to outline the viability of this population, given existing threats and those on the horizon. The same research also outlines that we can put them on a path to recovery if we take necessary action.

Expert panel discussion, April 18th
7pm to 9pm Pacific
Sunset Labs, 400 Herald Street, Victoria

Book your in-person ticket

Raincoast has been working with an international team of scientists, as well as our partners at the David Suzuki Foundation, Georgia Strait Alliance, WWF Canada, and the Natural Resources Defence Council (NRDC), to compel governments in Canada, and the US, to support bold recovery measures. We are calling for the closure of marine commercial and recreational Chinook fisheries, an end to commercial and private whale watching on Southern Resident killer whales, and the establishment of targets for reducing noise from commercial vessels travelling in critical habitat.

Register to access the live streamed event

Through the support of Stream of Consciousness you can join us on April 18th, either in person or by streaming the event free online. Hosted by CBC’s Bob McDonald, the evening will feature a panel of experts who will be open to questions from the live audience and viewers online.

Misty MacDuffee, Wild Salmon Program Director, Raincoast Conservation Foundation
Misty has been working on salmon conservation as a biologist for more than 15 years. She has also led Raincoast’s efforts to protect the Southern Residents. As well as publishing research on both wild salmon and killer whales, Misty works with government and industry on fisheries management and sits on various committees focused on wild salmon and killer whale conservation.

Dr. Peter S. Ross, Vice-President of Research at Ocean Wise
Peter currently oversees eight research programs at Ocean Wise that deliver conservation science to the international community. He is Adjunct Professor at the University of Victoria. He served as a Research Scientist with the Canadian government between 1996 and 2013. He is an international authority in the area of ocean pollution, having published over 150 scientific articles, with a focus on the source, transport, fate and effects of priority pollutants. He discovered the region’s killer whales to be the most ‘contaminated marine mammals in the world’ in a groundbreaking study in the year 2000, and more recently reported on the widespread distribution of microplastics in the NE Pacific Ocean.

Michael Jasny, Director of Marine Mammal Protection, Natural Resources Defence Council
Michael is a widely published expert on the law and policy of ocean noise pollution. For over ten years, he has directed high-profile litigation, lobbying efforts, science-based policy development, and public advocacy to improve the regulation of this emergent global problem. His work also focuses on securing protection for endangered marine mammals and their habitat, opposing development projects that threaten marine mammals off the U.S. and Canadian coastlines, and improving management of fisheries, whale-watching tourism, and other sectors that impact these vulnerable species.

The recovery of Southern Resident killer whales is something we can all contribute to. Learn about issues and be inspired this April 18th.

Last edited:
2019 Recovery Measures for Southern Resident Killer Whales. See attached info

Attachments

• 2019-04-12 SRKW Recovery Measures Consultation.pdf
    116.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 2019-04-12 SRKW 2019 Proposed Recovery Measures.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 49
Back