If you were to donate money to salmon enhancement

bryce

Crew Member
My parents were asking me and I didn’t have the best answer for them where would you donate money to get the most back out of salmon and steelhead fishing in B.C.
I live in northern b.c on the Skeena and they are on the island would you donate to something to each area or would you donate to specific groups around each area or would you do something for the overall fishing industry in B.C.
Keep in mind it has to be a charitable donation
Looking for any info!
Thanks ahead of time!!
Bryce

Great that you want to donate to salmon enhancement groups! Please keep in mind that many such groups are not charitable organizations but are volunteer societies - hence they cannot issue a tax receipt. They still do great work that needs to be supported though. I am familiar with some of the ones around Victoria and Sooke like: Goldstream Hatchery, SVIAC Sooke Chinook Sea Pen, Juan de Fuca Salmon Restoration Society, etc....

Not sure how many of them out there can issue charitable tax receipts?

Bryce, where about do your parents live? I know for a fact that many enhancement societies in the comox valley do have charitable status. If you need I could assist you in finding groups who have charitable status.

Pacific salmon foundation would probably be what I would go for. You have to watch because some groups already have a lot of money while others don't. PSF tends to spread that money around not just on one. Also with PSF they have to spend the funds on specific projects etc.

They can always reach out to Cory Matheson at PSF and he will give you the rundown on funding and where it goes. A lot of those projects mentioned above receive funding from PSF each year. I believe they also match the donation.

Great that you want to donate to salmon enhancement groups! Please keep in mind that many such groups are not charitable organizations but are volunteer societies - hence they cannot issue a tax receipt. They still do great work that needs to be supported though. I am familiar with some of the ones around Victoria and Sooke like: Goldstream Hatchery, SVIAC Sooke Chinook Sea Pen, Juan de Fuca Salmon Restoration Society, etc....

Not sure how many of them out there can issue charitable tax receipts?
The Fanny Bay Salmonid Enhancement Society (Rosewall Creek Hatchery) is a registered charity and does issue tax receipts. I understand Goldstream does as well.

My parents were asking me and I didn’t have the best answer for them where would you donate money to get the most back out of salmon and steelhead fishing in B.C.
I live in northern b.c on the Skeena and they are on the island would you donate to something to each area or would you donate to specific groups around each area or would you do something for the overall fishing industry in B.C.
Keep in mind it has to be a charitable donation
Looking for any info!
Thanks ahead of time!!
Bryce
Terrific that your folks are thinking of this. We all know with past practices, the salmon have been beaten down. Governments have been worse than nothing on this file. Restoration is up to us. Give nature a chance and it bounces back. Look at the humpback whales comeback! I also think PSF is a good one to consider.

PSF you can choose specifically where or what project you are interested in supporting. Choose whichever category you want to support in the Donate page then in the private message outline which specific project. the website also has a list of the many different initiatives they are involved in. lots of info in the website. I have been involved in quite a few projects the PSF has helped with and honestly that is where most of my support goes.

Cheers!

The Juan De Fuca Salmon Restoration Society has charitable status. They do work on Charters Creek off the Sooke River at the moment.

at this point I'm not sure I'd recommend any, the feds (turdo et al) seem bent on wiping out the sport fishing industry out here.

Back