Ideas on pouring 50lbs of lead?

Go.Fish

Would like some ideas on what people use to pour larger quantities of lead for fishing stuff.
I have a Lee 20lb electric pot which isn’t very efficient if I want to do a couple 15lb cannonballs, pours too slow and I get layers, also waiting time adding more lead to the pot
Needs to be accurate too as far as hitting the hole to fill and not making a mess
What do the pros suggest? Pm is fine

Thanks

Would like some ideas on what people use to pour larger quantities of lead for fishing stuff.
I have a Lee 20lb electric pot which isn’t very efficient if I want to do a couple 15lb cannonballs, pours too slow and I get layers, also waiting time adding more lead to the pot
Needs to be accurate too as far as hitting the hole to fill and not making a mess

Thanks
Just a thought..... Do you pre-heat the mold ??? it make a big difference

What I have used for a pouring vessel is an old cast iron gallon kettle to hold more lead

To melt the lead I use a large propane burner. Like the ones used for deep fried turkeys

Last edited:
A long time ago a guy named sculpin on here made a bottom pour one and had instructions on here but can’t find it it was cool
Feb 2012. Found it with a google search thanks! Yes that would do the trick
I made up a “tip and pour” pot recently but the tipping action makes it really difficult holding a mold in the correct spot as the pot tips and the mold gets heavy. Many failed attempts
Off to the shop to weld/fab something up, should have all components in “stock” haha

Thanks
I have a 20 pound Lee Melter too. The small pouring hole is made for pouring lead into bullet molds - way too slow for making big fishing weights. I tried making 15 pound weights with the standard pour hole - a waste of time. I enlarged the pouring hole to about 1/4 inch - made a huge difference. I have made nearly 1000 balls with this melter.

Back