I need some new gear...

bondo

Hi Guys,

Can anyone recommend a decent rod/reel combo for trolling and where to buy it from? Pacific Angler, Army & Navy etc? I’ve been using a referb rod/reel combo from the 80’s and the “you only live once” in me has kicked in. Don’t want the best thing on the block, maybe something in the $300 range as i plan on getting 2 sets.

Cheers

Last edited:
Fenwick hmx 10.5’ mooching rods $150, with trophy QR reels $300.

If that’s too much get the Shimano 9’ TDR rods $39 with trophy reels $300.

Last edited:
I’d try to find some TMX 5’s on sale. Then a pair of MH or M 10.6 fenwick’s. Watch for Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales, especially at Harbour Chandler. You’ll be closer to $400 each but would totally be worth it.

Expensive gear won't catch you more fish... Spend the money on gas and bait IMO.

Find some used Shimano GT4000's and pair them with a 10'6" Convergence and you're good to go.

Thanks for the suggestions guys and yes i agree...which is why i don’t want to go too crazy. I’m using gear that was passed down to me many years ago but need to refurb both reels again and would rather try something different.

Cheers

It can help, a good rod with proper back bone and length to help absorb fast runs and hard hits keeping lures set properly without to much resistance or to much slack that may pull or toss a hook. A smooth reel that lets line out consistently and smoothly on runs and hits again can mean the difference of keeping a lure stuck or having it pull out or fall out. It won't help in the hits you have but good gear certainly can make a difference in what's landed.

A poor fisherman blames his gear. IME, a lot of people who buy all the high end gucci gear are just poseurs who want to impress other people.

An Islander TR3 is $1000. An Abel is about $1500. Pair that with a higher end rod and we are talking well in to mortgage payment territory. Who has that kind of money? Not me! There's no good reason to spend that kind of money on gear other than to impress people. It won't catch you more fish.

The fish really don't care if you're using a $15 Daiwa 275 that you found in a shoe box at a yard sale. But the standard go-to value reels are the Trophy Tyee QR and for another fifty bucks, the Amundson TMX5. These reels are made of pure Chinesium and perform just as well as the others for a third of the price. Pair them up with an IM7 graphite rod, and you're fishin'.

The only thing the drag on my Shimano KB's do is keep the line from creeping out while DR trolling - from what i hear they do a MUCH better job at that than Islander's. Other than that is the palm all the way. As for rods, a long rod will bend more when putting pressure on a fish, taking up more slack when the fish decides to swim at you.

The only thing the drag on my Shimano KB's do is keep the line from creeping out while DR trolling - from what i hear they do a MUCH better job at that than Islander's. Other than that is the palm all the way. As for rods, a long rod will bend more when putting pressure on a fish, taking up more slack when the fish decides to swim at you.

I have never had an issue with an islander and line creep, its simple maintenance is all. Some people enjoy the finer things in life others see no value in it, each to their own I say. Never think for a minute that an islander is a waste of money, they are fine machines. I certainly don't look down on people that run Shimano's had a couple over the years myself, my son still runs one, I also run a couple Rapala NC but none are as crisp and smooth as the Islander. Again each to their own.

Yes been eying up the new TR3 myself fine looking units. If I buy the new boat this winter I'll have to put one on hold for a couple years as my money will have to go towards new electronics for the boat.

Now that the season is winding down, I would wait until boxing week sales kick in. You can get the Amundson TMX5 for $249 and techniums for $150. Plus the fact that you’re buying two helps you negotiate. You can not beat that combo for $400!

Don’t forget the Shimano moocher plus 4000’s too. For about $120 they are smooth reels that will last decades team those up with some $120 diawa DXS and the fish don’t stand a chance for a $250 combo

Now that the season is winding down, I would wait until boxing week sales kick in. You can get the Amundson TMX5 for $249 and techniums for $150. Plus the fact that you’re buying two helps you negotiate. You can not beat that combo for $400!

Don’t forget the Shimano moocher plus 4000’s too. For about $120 they are smooth reels that will last decades team those up with some $120 diawa DXS and the fish don’t stand a chance for a $250 combo
Where do you see the TMX5's for $249 on boxing day,Stizzla?

Where do you see the TMX5's for $249 on boxing day,Stizzla?
I believe it was harbour chandler. It was the black ones with paddles.
I snoozed, therefore I lost though. It Was a few days after when I saw the ad.

Try PNT for the $86 Kufa rods. Steveston has carried them last year.

I definitely recommend the Shimano moocher plus 4000 as well.
Get two of those and then over time you can buy two higher quality ones if you need.
They're great reals to start and they're always reliable backups.

I'm a big fan of the Fenwick hmx, you can't beat the price. You might build end up with three rods and reels for your price point

I used a set of TMX5 (3) this season. Pretty much maintenance free after touching up the inner drag and spindle with lube. I did pop one clicker spring on one of the reels but it just got quieter, didn't effect performance at all. Overall, reliable and are of good quality.
I used Technium Guide series and Convergence rods. Granted I get pro deals on all of this gear but, you can probably get close at some point...

Yikes... im way more at the budget end...

Penn 309M levelwind $75
Daiwa Wilderness Medium Heavy 8'6 $25
750 ft of 30# braid from asia $10

Works for me...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes you don’t need a islander or able, but nothing wrong with getting something half decent. Good feel is nice and you you want something reliable, nothing worse then putting in countless time and effort into getting a bite or fish of a lifetime only to have gear failure. Treat yourself a little, you don’t have to spend a fortune, a new mr1 with a half decent rod woujd even be nice

Back