I need a better transducer

I switched last season to a B175hw and it works great for my needs in the southern and central straits.
well come to the big boy club ....lol
SS-175 HW / SS-175 H and SS-175-low going through a BSM-5000 forgive the mess she's still a work in progress but this winter plan on wrapping her up IMG_0447.JPGIMG_0446.JPGIMG_0229.JPG

Do you have the dual frequency selection with this transducer/unit? I have the GT54 and often run a split screen with Chirp and 200hz. The difference in detail in deeper water is significantly better with the lower frequency. Plus I speed up the scroll speed in the appearance setting which also helps with bottom and fish/bait.
This is a great idea actually, pretty sure I can do that just didn’t think about it. Here I was just changing the setting back and forth.

Have you set up your unit? Frequency, gain, noise reduction all play a role in signal quality. I have a Garmin Striker 5, and I can see my down rigger balls in 150-200’ of water.
Dialled in we’ll for freshwater, but need to do some tweaking for the salt.

So after about a dozen outings since I started this thread I've realized my transducer and sonar are totally fine for my needs. But, what I think I'm going to do is move the sonar to the stern, so I can watch better while jigging and get a dual purpose sonar/chartplotter for the helm. Im thinking 8 or 9". I've seen a few HDS 8 on marketplace for the 500 buck range. What are the opinions of those?

So after about a dozen outings since I started this thread I've realized my transducer and sonar are totally fine for my needs. But, what I think I'm going to do is move the sonar to the stern, so I can watch better while jigging and get a dual purpose sonar/chartplotter for the helm. Im thinking 8 or 9". I've seen a few HDS 8 on marketplace for the 500 buck range. What are the opinions of those?
keep a look out for a simrad S2009 there a stand alone sonar but in portrait mode so as deep as a 12" with 9 " width would be ideal for jiggers with a medium chirp or high wide if your shallow

At my slip at low tide today, so there will be no detail, but it shows the split frequencies on both sides of the screen.

IMG_8423.jpegIMG_8424.jpeg

Back