Hydroplane Fun

Aquaholic

Crew Member
A guy that raced in the same class as me when I had my flat bottom circle boat, Dave Villwock, flipped his unlimited hydroplane yesterday in Washington State. If you follow unlimiteds at all, he drove the Miss Budweiser for many years among some other top unlimited‘s. He was checked out in the pits by the medical people and got a clean bill of health and was seeing walking around later. On the video, you can see the boat started to takeoff and you can see him using the down pedal to try to get the canard wing adjusted to stop the front from lifting but it was too late.

AE27B06E-98F3-4973-B953-2B4DD31ADB5C.png6F88A962-30FC-4F82-BE13-F7FDBF7C1159.jpeg1EACF31E-61A2-4FD4-9601-924C068B098F.jpeg

I use to go down every SeaFair weekend when it was 64 funny cars at SIR on Saturday and then over to Lake Washington for the Hydros on Sunday. Great times for sure.

You and I both know that Dave's survival, and his injury free survival was testimony to the last 50 years of safety development in pods, driver gear, safety crews and many. many other things.

I remember my brother and his friends rushing to the hospital in Tonawanda to donate blood after a SS boat tripped on it's chine, flew into the air and landed behind the driver and proceeded to run over the driver. He survived, with the blood donations used to offset his hospital bill.

Here is the video of the accident the boat must have 3 cameras

Last edited:
64 funny cars was THE BEST
I use to go down every SeaFair weekend when it was 64 funny cars at SIR on Saturday and then over to Lake Washington for the Hydros on Sunday. Great times for sure.
As far as boat racing we were involved with that tooIMG_20200428_131840.jpg

Last edited:
When I moved to Vancouver in 1983 there was a marine speed shop on the NW corner of Denman and West Georgia one building up from Denman.

There was what looked like an SS or SK boat visible though the window. I also remember that the window was dirty

We used to do Abbotsford Air show Friday, Funny Cars Saturday and then drive straight drive up to Lake Washington the Hydros Sunday. Usually a good street party before they let you down to beach. Great time with some great friends

When I moved to Vancouver in 1983 there was a marine speed shop on the NW corner of Denman and West Georgia one building up from Denman.

There was what looked like an SS or SK boat visible though the window. I also remember that the window was dirty
California Marine. Dave who’s last name escapes me, had it out by Tugboat Annie’s on the slough in Richmond, after W Georgia. Dave’s dad was a record holder in smaller hydros.

You and I both know that Dave's survival, and his injury free survival was testimony to the last 50 years of safety development in pods, driver gear, safety crews and many. many other things.

I remember my brother and his friends rushing to the hospital in Tonawanda to donate blood after a SS boat tripped on it's chine, flew into the air and landed behind the driver and proceeded to run over the driver. He survived, with the blood donations used to offset his hospital bill.

Villwock was instrumental in the development of the safety capsule.

Here is the one he helped develop for his flat bottom. I had the same hull this one but it was the pre-capsule days.

C8BADF23-32E5-49CB-AEE1-D78E10453400.jpeg

DCE20577-50B7-4278-822A-F44AB1815F61.jpeg

Last edited:
Were you there for the years that the hydroplanes still had the aircraft engines in them, or only the turbine yesrs? Loved the sounds they made.

Were you there for the years that the hydroplanes still had the aircraft engines in them, or only the turbine yesrs? Loved the sounds they made.
Those engines were the rolls Royce Merlin’s that powered the spitfire and numerous bombers. Your right that they had a rumble at start up then a purr which you knew what it was

Pretty sure I was there then, my first time was !970 when Miss Budweiser won. That then became my Boat that I cheered for. Then returned 76 and Miss Bud won again before Bill Muncey went on his rain of terror with the Atlas Van Lines in the late 70's. Went to the mid 80's till a great friend that organized the trip was killed by a drunk driver. Trip was never the same and I moved to Alberta and never went again. Still watch it every year if I'm around

California Marine. Dave who’s last name escapes me, had it out by Tugboat Annie’s on the slough in Richmond, after W Georgia. Dave’s dad was a record holder in smaller hydros.

Well that was quite the rabbit hole we just went down

They are still in business in Richmond on Graybar Road

A brief history of California Marine.

California Marine was founded in 1968, and today is still a family owned
and operated business.

Where the Boating Blood Came From.

James Hutchison, the father of the owner of California Marine, David
Hutchison, was the first to build a hydro-plane on the West Coast of Canada.
James designed, built and raced hydro-planes from 1952 to 1980. His love of
the sport never failed him, and when his son, David, came to him asking for
help to build the Catalina series of ski-boats, he obliged.

James worked for California Marine until he was 80 years old, building many
georgeous boats such as the one on the front page of this site, from the
ground up. He custom built the engines, trailers, and all of the internal
workings of each and every boat.

Most of the Catalina boats were water tested for our customers on
near-by Whatcom lake in Bellingham, Washington. At this lake, James
and son David, would carefully test and tune the boats to get the maximum
performance out of each one.

James Hutchison was inducted into the British Columbia Sports Hall of
Fame in 1984 for his accomplishments in hydro-plane racing. He will be
long remembered as a legend of his sport, and the Catalina series of boats
and California Marine name will forever be a reminder and model of his
lifestyle and accomplishments.

Copyright California Marine Sales Corporation, 1999-2022.
California Marine Sales Corporation, #150-6751 Graybar Road,
Richmond, B.C., Canada V6W 1H3
Phone (604) 278-1880, Fax (604) 278-6040
Email: sales@californiamarine.com

** We Ship WorldWide **

i was thinking about something like this, to get to store before it closed o_O

Last edited:

Out of curiosity, what speed would that boat be travelling at?

Out of curiosity, what speed would that boat be travelling at?
Not sure of the speed on that boat but the unlimited class can do 200+ MPH. I would say Hr was doing 150+/- as it looks like he was entering a corner

I Just asked Dave's former crew chief from the flatbottom and limited hydro days, he says 185-190 mph just before it happened. Also it was driver error, with the aforementioned canard wing/pedal. Even the best have a bad day.

I wish they stilled showed the hydroplanes on tv but can’t find it anymore my son was asking might have to go down next year

Those Unlimited Hydros are right on the edge and at those speeds, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more offend. At least they are way safer these days compared to the old open cockpits that the old boats had.

Back