Hydraulic steering conversion

The Rodfather

So this year I bought a 1994 Bayliner Trophy 2359. Currently it’s has mechanical steering with power assist and I really don’t have any issues with it. My delema is that I want to install a second helm on the outside of the cabin, it just makes life so much easier when fighting a fish or setting gear. Just wondering if anyone has done a conversion like this before I have priced it out and it won’t be cheap. About 2000-3000 bucks. I like the boat and plan on keeping it so in the long term I think I’m okay with it. Also if you think this is a waste of time and money feel free to chime in.

Have not done the conversion as my boat already has the conversion you are contemplating. Having had a set up like yours and now using the double helm with hydraulic steering, I would make the move.

Fishing and steering beside the rods is awesome for the reasons you suggest.

would a remote system work better? cheaper?

The reason I’m not sure if remote steering is the best route is that being an inboard outboard the stern drive almost acts as a rudder when trolling. If I was only using a remote on the kicker I feel that in windy or less then ideal conditions I will not have sufficient control over the boat as only the kicker would be turning. To make it effective, both the stern drive and the kicker need to move together, In saying that I don’t know if there is a remote with a strong enough pump to control the mechanical steering via the power asssist.

Have you considered autopilot on your main? I believe there are some autopilot units that have remotes. Or you could also setup a joystick anywhere you like on the boat to be run off the autopilot. (I have that on my boat, although I almost always troll off a main) If you had autopilot on the main and the kicker linked to the main that could prob work also, although you would have to have a good charging system on your kicker if running the autopilot without the main engine running. It may be more expensive (not 100% sure on that) but might be worth it to you. The autopilot could be setup to follow a route, or a course, or set to just work (steer) off a joystick, wherever you wanted to mount it. or possibly remote also. And you'd have autopilot which is nice to have.

Have you considered autopilot on your main? I believe there are some autopilot units that have remotes. Or you could also setup a joystick anywhere you like on the boat to be run off the autopilot. (I have that on my boat, although I almost always troll off a main) If you had autopilot on the main and the kicker linked to the main that could prob work also, although you would have to have a good charging system on your kicker if running the autopilot without the main engine running. It may be more expensive (not 100% sure on that) but might be worth it to you. The autopilot could be setup to follow a route, or a course, or set to just work (steer) off a joystick, wherever you wanted to mount it. or possibly remote also. And you'd have autopilot which is nice to have.

this!!!

The auto pilot would be a great choice it would also be great while running on nice days just sit
Back and watch for logs. I’ll spend a bit of time doing some research to see if it’s possible to keep the mechanical steering cable and somehow connect the auto pilot. Most auto pilots are basically a pump connected to the gps and the pump moves the fluid back and forth in the line to turn the leg. In order to keep the mechanical steering cable there would have to be some kind of connection made when the power steering is and that pump would have to be strong enough to turn the outdrive. It’s definitely an appealing option providing there is an auto pilot out there that can do that. Do you know of any brands in perticular

I'd be tempted to convert the cable steering to hydraulic steering myself. It may be necessary for autopilot anyways as I believe the autopilot hydraulic motor tees into the existing hydraulic steering system on most boats... (not 100% sure on that though)
(seastar or baystar...)
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/SeaStar-Solutions-HK4200A-3-BayStar-Hydraulic-Outboard-Steering-System-Teleflex/172499754692?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=40973&meid=8fb31aaca4984eba8bc32d40397692d4&pid=100005&rk=8&rkt=9&sd=292478004118&itm=172499754692&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I'm not sure of a mechanical steering cable adapter system, but that doesn't mean there isn't one available.
I have an older comnav marine 1101 autopilot and it's been bulletproof. I use it alot and couldn't imagine not having it. But maybe some of the newer autopilots might be better for what your thinking about. (simrad, lowrance, etc...?) If you could find a used system and instal it yourself over the winter that could prob save some money. Sometimes I find tinkering with the boat and getting it setup to your liking is almost as much fun as fishing... almost... haha
If you have power assist, maybe the autopilot can be teed into the power assist system somehow to eliminate the need for the hydraulic steering system. haven't really looked into that though...

ok i did away with my cable power assit 4.3 v6 merc inboard alpha leg .....

used the original merc ram so no need to change that out ...

used a seastar 1.7 helm and air line hose and built my own system ....
i have since added and tied in the kicker with 3 way valves ....and hyd steering ...

also have type 1 pump and AP simrad system plumed in

I have a 2101 WA Striper with an I/O. I have a PowerTran Python unit on my kicker (Merc 9.9 ProKicker) with wireless remote control. I spend a month every year fishing out of Alder Bay (Johnstone Strait/Queen Charlotte Strait). Lots of current and sometimes lots of wind. While the boat can be difficult to control in some conditions regardless of what steering system you have, I have never had any serious problems with my system. The PowerTran is very responsive and having the remote control means I always have the steering control with me. I also have a second controller so a second person on the boat can also control the steering.

In strong winds and current the boat will be more controllable with an autopilot that can steer both the kicker and the main together....as only a true autopilot can. Another close friend guide admits to me that in severe conditions his kicker only system can not handle the boat and he is forced to start up the main and steer from the helm....as there is no way for him to steer his remote kicker manually. I have never had that problem.

I have a 23 foot hourston with a volvo duoprop with power assist steering . I installed a Intellesteer remote steering unit and it works awesome in all conditions. I make sure the outdrive is straight

I'd make sure your Bayliner is not EOL before investing further. Did you have the hull surveyed?

Back