Hydraulic cylinders/pistons for fish box lids

I have a trophy 2352 and am looking at installing hydraulic or gas pistons to hold up the lid while opening it. I am always afraid that someone will catch their fingers or something when the lid slams down. A friend I met has installed air cylinders on his and this seemed like a great idea

I am wondering if any of you would have recommendations or will any piston do the trick?

Ty in advance

Paul

Lots of them out there problem would be finding one that can stand up to the salt for any length of time that’s the thing.

Just bought a pair for my truck canopy rear lift door. Go see Murray at Cap-It. Like Walleyes says the salt may shorten their life...they aren't that expensive for a pair. I just bought them and already forgot how much...which usually means they weren't crazy money or I would have it embedded in my brain for years.

MARINE CITY 304 Stainless Steel Hatch Spring Holder Lid Support Spring for Boat (8-7/16 Inches)

1. 314QVOfNaXL._AC_SY200_.jpg

2. Comes in different lenghts and does not rust
  3. Works great

I've had the above spring style on a few boats,hated them.You accidentally hit it when getting something out of the box and the lid slams down on your hand.

My Seasport has one on the rear fish locker. It is quite short as the lid is only maybe 10 inches across....so it is stiff and requires pulling on it to allow it to close.

I got stainless hydraulic struts made for my engine hatch. It is very big and heavy. Probably 4' x 7'
I found Gemini Gas Springs in Vernon to make them for me. He will custom make anything you want and was great to work with. He told me how to measure and weight my hatch so that I got the right size and pressure struts.
Mine needed 2 x 300 pound stainless struts. They also supplied non stainless ones for 2 interior hatches(30 pounds) plus all mounting hardware.
Nice thing about the stainless ones is that you can let gas out to adjust the pressure. I did that to get my hatch closing and opening just right.
Highly recommend them.
https://www.geminigassprings.com/products/stainless-steel-gas-springs

FYI in case you did not know, and I didn't, the correct way to mount is with the shaft pointing down so that the seal stays lubricated. They will fail much sooner if mounted shaft up.

27164614_10211829125545419_7325377540131097367_o.jpg
27023798_10211829127745474_2207150773893339425_o.jpg

Back