Humpback found dead in salmon farm

rendraW

http://blog.seattlepi.com/candacewh...reason-not-to-consume-these-farm-raised-fish/

some of those numbers are pretty shocking:
Fisheries and Oceans Canada reports that between 1996 and 2008, fish farmers killed 3,239 harbour seals and 7,678 Steller’s sea lions. Sometimes, the salmon farm nets themselves kill wildlife. In 2007, 51 sea lions got tangled in nets and drowned at a single farm.”

Now I know some people are less concerned about the deaths of seals and sea lions, but they are a part of the ecosystem and as I learned recently, their predation on mature coho at river mouths actually increases the survival of the fry which are being eaten by the coho as they exit into the ocean.

Seals and sea lions eat mature fish. It is a shame to lose a fish to one but they are an important part of the whole system. So why can fish farms shoot them and sport fishermen can't? personally I think neither should be able to. Just think, it wouldn't be a problem with closed containment pens, imagine a sea lion crawling across the ground to get to one!

yes , all the more reason for land based expensively raised farmed salmon.

I like how wishy washy Suzuki just sways back and forth between fish farms being ok to being bad to being good.... Hypocrite hummer driving so called environmentalist

I like how wishy washy Suzuki just sways back and forth between fish farms being ok to being bad to being good.... Hypocrite hummer driving so called environmentalist

Doesn't change the numbers in this particular article. I don't agree with a lot of what Suzuki says, but at least he cares...

I don't eat farmed salmon and don't particularly care what it costs, nor do I make a living farming them so I'm a little confused by your presumably sarcastic comment. I don't think land based fish farming is the answer but I do think that net pens raise a lot of questions. My concern is for the ocean in general and the health of the wild fish in particular. My 2 cents, not intending to start a huge argument here.

Pinniped populations here in bc are at some of the highest levels seen in bc for some despite the above statistics. Salmon farms are shooting less and less and accidental deaths have dropped of drastically due to better containment structures which reduce the potential of entrapment to near zero and provide resistance from seals and sea lions reducing the need to shoot.
All this while alaskan populations of pinnipeds are falling at a considerable rate which is puzzling becouse they have no cage farms and there ocean abundance of salmon is astounding due to salmon ranching.
I would expect the numbers here to continue climbing given this information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't eat farmed salmon and don't particularly care what it costs, nor do I make a living farming them so I'm a little confused by your presumably sarcastic comment. I don't think land based fish farming is the answer but I do think that net pens raise a lot of questions. My concern is for the ocean in general and the health of the wild fish in particular. My 2 cents, not intending to start a huge argument here.

glad i got ya thinkin,also glad you dont eat it, hell, i give my friend crap for just bringing on the heads for crabbing!! i do not care if humans eat gmo foods, farmed salmon or any other crap, i care that the human population does, needs and has a food source. Land based farming just makes more ecological sense. if it costs more, too bad for the consumer. commercial fisherman would get more also for their catch, this is also important to their livelihood.

and almost all the other wildlife in the ocean would be less affected.. now if the farmers could feed them a better ocean take ratio, the ocean would appreciate it.

Pinniped populations here in bc are at some of the highest levels seen in bc for some while despite the above statistics. Salmon farms are shooting less and less and accidental deaths have dropped of drastically due to better containment structures which reduce the potential of entrapment to near zero and provide resistance from seals and sea lions reducing the need to shoot.
All this while alaskan populations of pinnipeds are falling at a considerable rate which is puzzling becouse they have no cage farms and there ocean abundance of salmon is astounding due to salmon ranching.
I would expect the numbers to keep climbing given this information.

I am sure the industry, your employer, is most happy to have you continuing in your roll conducting pro fish farm public relations posts on this forum for the open net pen industry whenever they feel the heat.

I wonder if they would be considered expensive if the cheaper net pen option was taken away? It's all relative.

I am sure the industry, your employer, is most happy to have you continuing in your roll conducting pro fish farm public relations posts on this forum for the open net pen industry whenever they feel the heat.
I don't think they are even aware I post here but if that's what you believe than have aT'er. What matters are facts and if I am wrong with my above postwhy aren't you pointing it out? That would be the obvious logical thing to do. But you choose a lowbrow comment. Fine with me but if you ever wonder why nothing changes....pst, it's your attitude, it sucks! Lol

glad i got ya thinkin,also glad you dont eat it, hell, i give my friend crap for just bringing on the heads for crabbing!! i do not care if humans eat gmo foods, farmed salmon or any other crap, i care that the human population does, needs and has a food source. Land based farming just makes more ecological sense. if it costs more, too bad for the consumer. commercial fisherman would get more also for their catch, this is also important to their livelihood.

and almost all the other wildlife in the ocean would be less affected.. now if the farmers could feed them a better ocean take ratio, the ocean would appreciate it.

Thanks for your reply, I think I read too much into your first post. You have pointed out a few things I hadn't thought of, for sure. I am far from an expert on this subject.
Human population is definitely a huge issue, it is really difficult to find a sustainable and nutritious food supply for everyone. We are so lucky to live here where an abundant although dwindling food source is so conveniently available to us. I think about that a lot, and when living in other areas where eating salmon and seafood in general is more difficult to come by, I choose not to eat them. And not just because they are so expensive! Ethical eating is a slippery slope I know, and a lot of people get immediately defensive about their eating habits.
I think that the real issue is population itself, and the solution to that is education, because educated people have less kids.

I don't think they are even aware I post here but if that's what you believe than have aT'er. What matters are facts and if I am wrong with my above postwhy aren't you pointing it out? That would be the obvious logical thing to do. But you choose a lowbrow comment. Fine with me but if you ever wonder why nothing changes....pst, it's your attitude, it sucks! Lol

Very well, let’s address your 3 points:

Low Brow Comment - It is perfectly legitimate to point out the fact that when you switch from fishing related posts to posts defending the open net pen industry that you are employed in management by the industry and are not just some non-aligned angler. Some may not know that if they were not around for previous fish farm open net pen discussions a couple of years back. Knowledge of that may quite fairly and correctly influences an assessment of credibility, motivation, and bias as it relates to information you provide in your public relations attempts to defend an industry you have a financial self interest in.

My Attitude - This one is basically irrelevant, however I suspect that you would assess my attitude as just fine if I was supportive of the open net pens on our coast full of introduced alien Atlantic Salmon and of the planned expansion of the industry as in more and larger open net pens clogging up our inlets with all the associated risks to many species, other industries, the larger coastal economy and our way of life.

Further you tie ‘nothing ever changing to my attitude’. I certainly hope not, because I think it is rather clear that how you would define positive change would be the elimination of opposition to the open net pen industry and the industries multi-million dollar spin, public relations and lobbying efforts to keep open net pens in our inlets and minimize public resistance for continuous never ending expansion of the industry would go unopposed.

Facts - Thanks for your advice on what I should have done. So lets assume your “facts” provided without reference or evidence are not in dispute and examine your industry protective post down to its essence when it comes to the killing of marine mammals through drowning related to net entanglement and the approved shooting of species such as Sea Lions for showing an interest in the Atlantic salmon in the pens.

I have no interest in countering your “facts” because frankly I don’t see how they help the industry when it comes to its public relations efforts to garner support and continued license to both keep open net feedlot pens in our inlets and expand them in terms of both size and numbers.

When your industry protective post concerning the killing of marine mammals like Sea Lions is distilled down it is essentially - ‘the industry is shooting and killing less through entanglement and drowning than it use to and anyway there are a lot of them’.

Now the industry may get a little sympathy from fishermen including myself who may understand the frustration with Seals and Sea lions a little bit more than most, but I am rather confident the general public worldwide will not. If your attempts to win over public support for massive numbers of open net feedlot pens and their expansion when it comes to the killing of marine mammals is ‘Hey it’s all OK because we are killing less than we use to’, I am more than prepared to let you fly unopposed.

Let’s keep that image of a bunch of yahoo fish farm feed lot workers pissed off at marine mammals running around shooting up our inlets and Sea Lions and dragging their entangled drowned bodies out of the pen nets in the public consciousness.

I know how this goes rock fish. I post as an individual with my opinion and some facts then you and other post how I am employed by industry to make posts and with this thought you try to make it appear as if I am the whole industry world wide and you attack. You do this anonymously which suggest to me that you and all the other anonymous posters have something to hide. I don't care who you are but I am interested in what you do for a living. Some how I feel that most of the secrets will be closely guarded. Fair enough. Your secrets are safe here. lol

I know how this goes rock fish. I post as an individual with my opinion and some facts then you and other post how I am employed by industry to make posts and with this thought you try to make it appear as if I am the whole industry world wide and you attack. You do this anonymously which suggest to me that you and all the other anonymous posters have something to hide. I don't care who you are but I am interested in what you do for a living. Some how I feel that most of the secrets will be closely guarded. Fair enough. Your secrets are safe here. lol

Why? What does that have to do with anything?

This article seems to tell a different story that the above one with its exaggerations and false information and speculation.
http://www.hashilthsa.com/news/2013-03-27/dead-whale-found-north-tofino

um, yeah of course it does, it's press release from Mainstream, your apparent boss. But they don't have any interest in minimizing the story or downplaying any effect that their farms may or may not have had on the whale's death.:rolleyes:
PS, don't think a press release qualifies as a news article, since it is written by the company to specifically spin the news to a favourable angle. Nice try though. I especially like how you demand "proof" posts then ignore them completely.

By the way, I have an open mind and read everyone's posts with the same healthy skepticism. I just find yours to be openly biased, which makes sense since you are apparently paid to post them.

I find this blatant accusation that I am paid to make posts alarming for it is plain false. I get it tho. I understand clearly that it is your best deflection.

Back