Hull getting fouled too fast?

Had the boat out two months ago to service the leg and clean the bottom. Seems to be getting fouled real fast, the leg is covered in little white shells. Never happened this fast before. Its taking an extra 400 rpm to get on plane.

is the bottom painted? your electrical current or zinc might be in different condition than before

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

is the bottom painted? your electrical current or zinc might be in different condition than before

The bottom was painted 2years ago and when it was serviced all the zincs were replaced, they are already looking pitted.

Two years for bottom paint is a long time. The paint is more than likely not doing its job. I had a 29 foot sailboat tied up in west van a few years back and even with a fresh scrape and paint every spring it would have growth by the time I did it again the next spring. Some areas are worse than others.

First of all Zincs have no effect on getting fouled real fast they are only a protection for corrosion and yes if you have to few or you are in a marina with alot of stray current the will erode quickly. Also some areas / Marinas seem to worse for bottom / leg growth then others. Due to enviromental issues anti fowling paint is not nearly as good as it use to be so more haul outs and power washing is required to remove growth. As for your leg there is still no recomended antifowling paint for legs. However believe it or not, recomended soloution from a highly rated mechanic was to heavly coat your leg with penatine cream before putting it back in the chuck. Thats right baby's anti bacterial cream as most salt water growth is a form of alge / bacteria. It works and has no negative affects so don't knock it till you try it. ;)

p.s. If you leave your boat in the water for more then 3 months a year you should be giving it a fresh coat of anti fowling paint at min every 2 years.

Cheers ME

Barnacles are more of a problem in some areas than others. I use a 'sloughing' paint on my leg to deep them off. It's called 'Interlux Trilux 11. It does not really stick to the metal as a tiny layer sloughs off as the boat moves through the water so the barnacle 'seeds' come off as well. Mine lasts about 3-4 months before it needs to be replaced.

I second that Wolf I have used it for 4 years I leave my boat in all summer long and never have any growth on the legs. It is not cheap it is about $30 a can but it will last for two seaons. The paint is made like to paints of old with Tin which is great for keeping the boat clean. I purchase 5 gallons the year the banned the tin based it was a sad day when I ran out of it. I guess it was pretty bad for the enviroment but it did keep the boat clean.

Hi Wolf, What preparation is necessary before application? Will it go over other leg paints? Spray-on has the advantage of getting into hard to reach places that, if untreated, seem to attract 'stuff'[xx(]

Thanks, Tom

All i did was make sure all mussels and barnicles were off and washed it all clean of any thing and just spray painted it on I used to use it on my inboard leg all the time and now use it on the new boat on the part on the opti that is always in the water where the trim pump is in power washed it all down and then sprayed that paint on seems to be working fine so far I really like what it has done in the past for me.

Good luck Wolf

Use the yellow primer that they sell at west marine or other marine stores it makes a big differace if you prepare the leg properly.

Back