https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/deputy-ministers-blistering-letter-flagged-some-concerns-fo

“One of the things we agreed upon was that we would look to direct our officials to work in collaborative ways going forward to ensure that there is no finger-pointing between the federal government and the province,” said Wilkinson.

Seems the feds are more concerned about saving face than any real accountability or progress that might help in these matters...

Sad,
Nog

If course in an election year and the Liberals in trouble there was sure to be blow back. Do we have any further updates from our Province about funding provincially to help save our fish. I’m not sure the Province should chucking stones at the Feds just yet? But the Liberals are notorious for buying votes in election years, they’re famous for it. They actually had several announcements recently hiring people to enforce our fishing laws. Not exactly an investment in innovation versus straight up vote buying. Most people don’t vote against the very party that’s signing their cheques

Its my understanding that the Province has the funding set aside..just haven announced it yet?

Its my understanding that the Province has the funding set aside..just haven announced it yet?

Was not in the budget but I did read the same thing somewhere. .... ah yes here it is

"When B.C. tabled its 2019 budget last week, the word salmon didn’t appear. Why were no funds explicitly earmarked in Budget 2019 for wild salmon?

Government is still figuring that out, according to a spokesperson with the Ministry of Agriculture. (The Narwhal requested an interview with the Premier’s office for this story, but instead received minimal information by e-mail.)

More details will be forthcoming after the follow-up report to the council’s paper is unveiled in the next month.

“Expect government’s response following that.”"

0A1D3248-CB3B-4BBA-BF2D-C6BAC3542B5C.png 05F3FEEB-1F78-483C-96F0-810D394067EC.png W

Last edited:
Note who signed this.

Note who did not.

Note who signed this.

First I think we all agree the steelhead are in rough shape, but this wasn't the way to go about it.

Wow look at all the groups on that letter. The majority of the NGO you had sign that letter are actively engaged in shutting down Chinook salmon fishing, and promoting whale sanctuaries in marine areas across BC.

Why would an angler group go on it's own with letter , and just throw the rest of the groups across BC under the bus like that?

Thanks for that guys. Keep on feeding the fire with the NGO liberal love fest...

Last edited:
Well, as I did not write the letter you are giving me credit for something i was not involved in.

Further it is interesting that the BCWF was involved again and in reading the letter, good for them.

They proposed a good alternative to try and save these fish.

Are you implying that we should do nothing?

Wow look at all the groups on that letter. The majority of the NGO you had sign that letter are actively engaged in shutting down Chinook salmon fishing, and SRKW promoting whale sanctuaries.

Isn't that great great way to support all anglers across BC. Thanks for that guys.

Well, as I did not write the letter you are giving me credit for something i was not involved in.

Further it is interesting that the BCWF was involved again and in reading the letter, good for them.

I am implying your groups are lost, and they are going divide us all and make us weaker. You want to strengthen the NGO, so they close down not only saltwater but all freshwater fishing as well. Because letters like that my friend do just that.

Anyway I am out it's a bad idea, and only my opinion.

First, they are not my groups.

They are proposing alternatives to allow fishing and save the fish.

Did you actually read the letter and the Angus Reid poll?

What would you propose to do?

I am implying your groups are lost, and they are going divide us all and make us weaker. You want to strengthen the NGO, so they close down not only saltwater but all freshwater fishing as well. Because letters like that my friend do just that.

Anyway I am out it's a bad idea, and only my opinion.

First, they are not my groups.

They are proposing alternatives to allow fishing and save the fish.

Did you actually read the letter and the Angus Reid poll?

What would you propose to do?

I have been seining in area 13 for the last 20 years when there is an harvestable abundance. I truly do not remember the last time I saw a steelhead.
If government wants to make a difference deal with the 230+ abondened gillnets in the upper Fraser last year(and their owners) and get the fish farms moved off the migration routes(at the very least shut the pit lamps off). Unfortunately there is not a politician with a backbone that will touch the problems. Closing monitored commercial fisheries will do nothing to fix this.

not just a letter

upload_2019-3-6_18-39-37.png

Now that is positive!

No idea not a member of BCW. I would like to go but got the Sfac meeting the day after and had to commit to that much fishy stuff in one week.

Back